Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Parker Hale Safari De Luxe .243W

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Parker Hale Safari De Luxe .243W
      #101861 - 07/04/08 07:19 AM

Gentlemen,

My 14yo son a.k.a. The Heir Apparent a.k.a. The Bean Pole, announced a few days ago that he was ready to 'move up a calibre' from his .223. So, being a dutiful father with a family trip to Africa coming up in 2009, I located a used Parker Hale Safari De Luxe in .243W with open sights, Mauser 98 action and 5/8" dovetail two piece scope mounts at the local gun shope a.k.a The Toy Store.

The rifle is original except for the scope mounts and a retro fitted recoil pad.

My question relates to what I beleive are proof marks on the left side of the original barrel.

(A Crown) .243*WIN 2.00"
BNP 44 Grns Nc (Then N 2 B in a St Andrews Cross type of set up)
100 " BULLET

44 Grns of what ? I will be useing Mulwex 2209 to re-load the rifle but I'm interested in these original markings.

I haven't shot it yet so I hope the barrel is still good. I've shot some very accurate rifles with sections of rifleing missing so don't judge a barrel from its looks even though this one is pretty good.

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Parker Hale Safari De Luxe .243W [Re: tophet1]
      #102545 - 15/04/08 02:33 PM

Tophet1,

Where are the pictures of a smiling young man, of his proud father and the rifle in question?

Congratulations to the young man and thanks to you for your fantastic gift. Yes, we know some lovely hunting pictures are going to show up soon, too!

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
      #104463 - 07/05/08 09:04 PM

Sounds suspiciously what I started with at the same age. Still have the rifle too. I like it and it shoots well enough for me.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Parker Hale Safari De Luxe .243W [Re: Marty]
      #104537 - 08/05/08 08:58 PM

I suggest you forget about what powder they used, and load the rifle normally with normal powders available in your area, with data prepared by the powder maker.

: I had a 6mm Rem Parker Hale Varmint rifle back in the 70's. This Mauser actioned rifle, with IMR3031 powder and 70 gr. McCracken bullets agg'd in the 2's. It was barely accuracy enough for shooting deer to 200 yards with normal bullets, as in 1.5MOA, but with those light varmint-type bullets it thought it was a bench rest rifle.

My cousin still has the Parker Hale .243 I insisted he buy back in 1968. He will not part with it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Parker Hale Safari De Luxe .243W [Re: DarylS]
      #104621 - 09/05/08 05:25 PM

Not his first goat but certainly his biggest. 87 grain Hornady Spt into the back of the neck @ approx 80 paces.

shinz
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/08
Loc: New Zealand
      #104881 - 12/05/08 06:39 PM

Nice looking goat, one to be proud of, I hope he is, sounds like hes got the right kind of Dad, mine are a bit younger but showing the right signs so hope I can emulate you in the next few years.
NC would be Nitro Cellulose as in who knows quite what they used but I'd think that the info is out there if only you know where to look. I would go with the previous posts & work up a load that you know is safe & that gives you good accuracy. Share the chore with your youngster, its all good experience & part of the the big piccy. Proof loads give no indication of accuracy, just that the rifle didn't grenade at that load. A proof load is normally a fair bit higher than what we would think of as a working load so don't get hung up on it.
Steve.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4299

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com