Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: winchester 95 9,3x53R

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
awo425
.224 member

Reged: 29/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: 9.3x57]
      #137410 - 16/06/09 03:40 PM

I don't know, if the Finns converted the Vetterlis or if they used imported rimfire ammo.
Will try to ceck this on my next visit or even ask the curator of Hunting Museum.

Here the 9,3x62 is well liked by hunters, normaly all shooting is done under 100m, mostly pigs and deer.

Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: awo425]
      #140282 - 10/08/09 04:50 AM

post it here because of the M 95 connection, interesting british winchester
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/9068/t/British-altered-Model-1895-303-British.html

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: lancaster]
      #141263 - 28/08/09 06:25 AM

Back to the best thread on the m/ 1895 ever!

Just bought a 7,62x53R @ the local dealer for 240€.

Alas, the front stock is cut and the rear sight is not original, but otherwise the gun is in good condition.
The paraphernalia, of course, are missing; and also the original sling which features the patented length adjustment clip. But I have one of those on my other one.
But: It does have the "ears" for the load clip, as well as the quick-detachable sling mount at the rear (which can be fastened in front of the magazine box in Ching Sling style for added support. How many of you knew the secret behind that little loop by the magazine box, eh?).
The Russian markings are rather worn.

Shot 44mm and 38mm groups @ 100m (110 yds), i.e. i.r.o. 1.5"! Grouped 2 shots at 12mm, less than 0.5" that is! Used bench rest but still no mean feat with open sights. The ammo I used was 8g (123grs) Sako Range FMJ.
I'll be getting some 180grs Sako Hammerhead Softpoints tomorrow, so more test shooting to follow.

I'd love to post pics for you all to enjoy - could someone help me out on this one, please?

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Schauckis
.300 member

Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: Schauckis]
      #141339 - 30/08/09 02:51 AM

Update:
Went to the range today for the big game hunting license shooting test.
It's not really a "test" anymore: you shoot 4 shots within 90 seconds on a standing target @75m (83yds) and you are allowed to use bench rest. For moose license you need to hit within a circle of 23cm (9"), and for bear license it's 17cm (about 6.5"). The test used to consist of 3 shots within 20 seconds on a standing target, plus 3 (or was it 4?) shots on a running target that was visible for 4.5 sec. No rest allowed. Many hunting parties still have their "internal" tests which are pretty similar to the old test, or a modification e.g. more shots and various distances.
I passed the bear test with flying colors on the first try! The group of 4 shots was about 6cm (just under 2.5").
My friend then had a test shoot, and he strongly disliked the mechanism and the recoil - but I sure gained his respect for passing the test! He shoots a scoped Sako 75 in .308.

I also shot some 180grs Sako Hammerhead hunting loads, but the grouping seemed poor. I'll need to retry those, as that's the only viable factory hunting ammo available. If no good, I'll have some handloads made.

Another update:
I have an already "spoiled" m/1895 in 8,2x53R that I took to the gunsmith for some mods - called him on Friday to get an update, and the project seems to be going fine. The biggest job is to convert it to take-down, and also the sights & stock are being altered. I took good care of the old, original stock, of course. That's about the only remaining original part on that particular rifle, you see. Plus of course the screwdriver tool!

- Lars

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: Schauckis]
      #141364 - 31/08/09 02:17 AM

Lars, email them to me and I'll post them. Just make sure they are small enough since I am on slow dialup and can't take large files. 500kb is about max.

So you passed the hirvi test with the 9,3 95? Great job!!

I really do not think many Americans know how much a good "general skills" annual TEST goes to make for confident, solid killing shots in the field. I'll concede that we don't want a government-run test here, but I encourage every individual to set up a test of their own and abide by it; pass or fail and stick to the rules.

We use the Norwegian reinsdyrblinker here, both as a 100 meter test and as a 200 yard and 300 meter practice target. We shoot 200 from sitting, elbows on knees, and after passing that way, shooting from 100 is easy. I WISH I could rig up a running target...

Bravo on the shooting, and we expect to see hirvi and kivaari soon!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Schauckis
.300 member

Re: winchester 95 9,3x53R [Re: 9.3x57]
      #141374 - 31/08/09 06:11 AM

Actually, this is the 7,62mm.
That was one reason for the purchase: original caliber @ low price!

Went shooting today, as well, as planned. Alas, the 180grs Hammerheads group badly and far to the right. Have to ask a couple of friends if they have handloads and try them out.

And I've even learned to post photos.

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Edited by CptCurl (20/09/09 12:48 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44864

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com