Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.???
      #336927 - 23/01/20 09:27 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2020/1/20/new-for-2020-27-nosler/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (23/01/20 11:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: Ripp]
      #336930 - 23/01/20 11:36 PM

End of the .270?

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Haven’t read the article yet. The above captures my first and immediate reaction.....and I don’t currently own a .270 win.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: Postman]
      #336931 - 24/01/20 12:01 AM

Quote:

End of the .270?

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Haven’t read the article yet. The above captures my first and immediate reaction.....and I don’t currently own a .270 win.

I added that to "juice up" the headline a bit...kinda like "Why I hate the 270"..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #336937 - 24/01/20 05:30 AM

Yeah - funny title. It's a .270 + 400fps - that's amazing ballistics but wasted "power" over the range most people should be shooting game & requires the total use of premium/expensive bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: DarylS]
      #336941 - 24/01/20 06:01 AM

Quote:

........It's a .270 + 400fps ......over the range most people should be shooting game........

A couple of observations:
1) Even Noslers own reloading data shows the .270 Win can get 2900+ FPS with 150 grain bullets.....yea, maybe factory loads get beaten by 400’/sec....maybe.
2) this new cartridge seems aimed at the crowd that fancies themselves “snipers” at game animals. Like any fad it will fade after awhile, hopefully sooner than later. (700-900 yard sniping is not an ethical way to “hunt” game in my opinion).
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #336945 - 24/01/20 08:26 AM

Exactly!

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #336964 - 24/01/20 02:06 PM

I think Nosler is just trying to sell more brass with minimal development cost.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #336971 - 24/01/20 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

........It's a .270 + 400fps ......over the range most people should be shooting game........

1) Even Noslers own reloading data shows the .270 Win can get 2900+ FPS with 150 grain bullets.....yea, maybe factory loads get beaten by 400’/sec....maybe.
2) this new cartridge seems aimed at the crowd that fancies themselves “snipers” at game animals. Like any fad it will fade after awhile, hopefully sooner than later. (700-900 yard sniping is not an ethical way to “hunt” game in my opinion).
- Mike

Agree--shooting animals at 8-900 yards or more is not what I consider hunting.. frankly really surprises me that Nosler come out with this.. the 28 Nosler, based on those I talk to is doing extremely well in both custom and factory built rifles.. the 27 will not match it ballistically.. so, ????

Don't really see it doing anything the 6.5PRC or others are already doing better..

Long range shooting and competitions are going to be around for a while.. it's still a very large and continually growing sport.. classes are full .. products keep coming out..and more and more long distance ranges are becoming available..one in my area is now available to 2000+ Have to be honest, I do love shooting "steel" at long distance..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (25/01/20 12:36 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

#336984 - 25/01/20 03:58 AM

I agree - shooting steel at long range is fun. Our longest range for steel so far, is 1,200yards. We expect this summer, to have steel to just over 1,500yards (1,400 meters).

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #336998 - 25/01/20 05:54 AM

Many in the gun world are "number chasers". The fact that a bullet going 3300 FPS and one going 3000 fFPS from the muzzle do the exact same job in the field and on game, can't be told apart is of no relevance to those doing the buying in the market matters not al all for those doing the marketing. The American market is often driven by numbers and not by realism.

Nosler's mission is now to "out Weatherby" Weatherby. And in so doing, they are making some cartridges that are horribly inefficient, but they show high numbers. And I am sure they will kill game, many times as well as cartridges that have been around for 85 to 100 years, but it's doubtful to me that they will do any better.
Why?
I have owned several supper mags in the past. Sold them all. My fastest "big game guns" were a 30/378 Weatherby and a 7MM STW and after killing several animals with then, and seeing how they worked just as well as a 30-06 I decided they was WAY harder on bore life and a lot more expensive to fire, so I sold them.

Those the worship at the alter of numbers will scream at my statement, but I see no reason why. I don't care if they want to burn 96 to 104 grains of powder with every shot and have target grade accuracy for only 400 round per barrel. It's their money. So I care not at all if they love huge shells with smaller bores. In fact, it actually very good for my business because I know about 15 of them in within about 200 miles of me that have me re-barrel their rifles every year and 2 of them have gone through as many as 3 barrels a year, and one of then 4 barrels a year. It's very good for business. Besides, in my experience so far, most of those that ascribe a near religious significance to their super-duper magnums have not actually killed 25 to 50 head of game with standard shells so they don't really know that what they get from their stupendous mags are about the same that you get on game shot with a standard 270, 30-06 or maybe a 300 Win or H&H mag. I do know. I have accounted for more game then I can count and most was killed with more "standard' cartridges, but probably about 40-50 were killed with magnums of 300 Win Mag and faster or 338 Win mag and larger. I do see a difference on elk and moose when I get to the 375H&H, but the 358 Norma, 340 Weatherby 300 Weatherby 30/378 Weatherby 7MM STW and a few wildcats bases on the 404 shell are all good in the field, but shooting bullets that hold together they don't drop elk, deer antelope bison or bears any better then a good 30-06 with a similar bullet. If you don't use a REAL good bullet in the super fast magnums they don't kill AS WELL as a 30-06 or even a 308 or standard 270 because the wounds are erratic and often shallow.

If my opinion if Nosler wants to do it right they need to introduce some longer heavier bullets and have barrels made with faster twists (as we see with this new 270) and NOT try for more speed, but go for the same speed as the older shell with a notable heavier bullet. A 270 Nosler firing a 180 grain or 190 grain bullet at 2900 through a barrel that will stabilize it and shoot it accurately would possibly be a cool gadget for the hunter. The number most gun-rag-readers look at first are always about velocity. That's not really going to serve a hunter as well as better BC numbers. Wind drift and drops are more important then muzzle speed by a long ways. Many of the newer shooters today are finally starting to learn this, but with super long for caliber bullets comes other issues, all of which could be solved, but the foundation for such performance should be the BULLET, not a gun or shell. If Nosler was to bring out it's line of shells, but FIRST bring out barrels rifled about 15% to 20% faster for bullets that average 15 to 25% heavier then what is currently "the heaviest" per caliber---- I believe they would give something that actually may be a benefit to the market. Super speed is NOT new. The Germans and the French were experimenting with rifles and cartridges 100 years ago that were around 4000 FPS (one German maker in 1924 had a shell that went 4650 FPS with a 236 grain bullet, but bore life was 13 rounds) and all gave up because of poor bore life and the inability to make a bullet that did the job at impacts from the muzzle all the way out to 2000 yards. Bullets that hit at 3900 FPS can't be made with lead cores and be expected to work well at impacts of 1700 fps too. But the invention of solid expanding bullets could possible do the trick. The ones I would like to see with have a nose cavity filled with soft lead so the impacts of speeds from 3200 all the way down to about 1300 would still expand. the down side is expense. Design has to work, but also has to sell, and bullet that sell for $200 to $500 each mean only millionaires can afford to become good marksmen with them at ranges that the super high BC mean anything.

Physics are still physics and that is what destroys the intent of gun and ammo makers. It's this little thing called reality. So ads and articles are made up to tell some of the story and make VERY sure the rest of the story is not mentioned.

If and when Nosler (or anyone else) can make a 25 cent bullet 20% heavier then "industry standards" that will not blow up on heavy bone when shot at 20 feet and yet will still expand at least to 40% over original diameter when striking only lungs at 1500 yards, the whole game will change. (I am not just being abrasive here because if ANYONE can do this, it's probably Nosler) Bullets of wonderful capabilities exist now, but at the price the ask I can't afford to fire 500 to 1500 a year through 6-9 rifles apiece to keep my skill level up to what I think it should be. Shots to about 500-600 yards do not need any new bullet at all. So I am totally satisfied with what I can get now and "new and improved" are not even something that would catch my interest yet because they are answers to a question that doesn't exist. Super long range bullet that possesses the accuracy to hit small targets at ranges "way out there" and still not blow up at the ranges I kill 99% of the game I hunt, (especially when I consider MOST game I kill is at 80 yards and less, with probably 1/2 of those being 40 and less) and yet will not let me down if I ever wanted to fire at game at 1000 yards. That same bullet must expand on a lung shot at those ranges too, and I have to be able to buy them in 26 cal 27 cal 7MM cal, 30 cal and 33 8 cal and be able to buy them at a price I can afford when I buy them 1000 at a time for all those caliber except 30. 30s I buy 5000 at a time. I don't see that happening any time soon. But I sure would love to be wrong about that statement.

Until then, I'll personally let the "buying public" spend their money to be the guinea pigs, and I'll just stick with my old 270s, my 30-06s my 308s, my 8X57, 300 H&H, my 9.3X62 and 375H&H. In this line the 270 Winchester and 300H&H are the youngest and most modern. Heck these 2 youngsters are not even 100 yet. (only 95)

In my opinion (which is not going to be listened to ) Muzzle Velocities of around 3200 FPS max should be held, but longer bullets, and barrels to shoot them well, would be the way to go. Not just taking bullets of a design 50-85 years old and making them go 300-500 FPS faster. That doesn't really help anyone in the field to any real extent, and it is very hard on bores and pocketbooks.

Rule303
.416 member

#337008 - 25/01/20 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Mike

Agree--shooting animals at 8-900 yards or more is not what I consider hunting.. frankly really surprises me that Nosler come out with this.. the 28 Nosler, based on those I talk to is doing extremely well in both custom and factory built rifles.. the 27 will not match it ballistically.. so, ????

Don't really see it doing anything the 6.5PRC or others..

Long range shooting and competitions are going to be around for a while.. it's still a very large and continually growing sport.. classes are full .. products keep coming out..and more and more long distance ranges are becoming available..one in my area is now available to 2000+ Have to be honest, I do love shooting "steel" at long distance..

I would love to have a range handy where I could shoot to 1000mts hell even 500. I would love to be proficient again out to 600mts. However i don't think people will buy a 270 cal to do this when they already have the same case in 7mm, and all the 6.5's that are about. I am not bagging the 270 as I have a 270 win and 6.8SPC

If I didn't have a 270 and was getting one I would probably look at the Nosler just for something different.

Just changed the 100mts to 1000mts. Fat thumbs

Edited by Rule303 (26/01/20 08:39 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: Rule303]
      #337051 - 26/01/20 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Mike

I would love to have a range handy where I could shoot to 100mts hell even 500. I would love to be proficient again out to 600mts. However i don't think people will buy a 270 cal to do this when they already have the same case in 7mm, and all the 6.5's that are about. I am not bagging the 270 as I have a 270 win and 6.8SPC

If I didn't have a 270 and was getting one I would probably look at the Nosler just for something different.

Something different?? That's crazy talk...

NO, NO, just stick with the regular one.. Why would you want to try anything different for crying out loud???.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#337070 - 26/01/20 08:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Mike

I would love to have a range handy where I could shoot to 100mts hell even 500. I would love to be proficient again out to 600mts. However i don't think people will buy a 270 cal to do this when they already have the same case in 7mm, and all the 6.5's that are about. I am not bagging the 270 as I have a 270 win and 6.8SPC

Something different?? That's crazy talk...

NO, NO, just stick with the regular one.. Why would you want to try anything different for crying out loud???.

Ripp
.577 member

#337077 - 26/01/20 01:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Mike

I would love to have a range handy where I could shoot to 1000mts hell even 500. I would love to be proficient again out to 600mts. However i don't think people will buy a 270 cal to do this when they already have the same case in 7mm, and all the 6.5's that are about. I am not bagging the 270 as I have a 270 win and 6.8SPC

Just changed the 100mts to 1000mts. Fat thumbs

I was wondering when I read that.. thought man, he must live right in town to not be able to shoot to 100 mts...

I find shooting long distance very interesting .. there are so many variables coming into play.. one of the greatest being wind.. the science of reading the wind, not just where your at but also where the target is.. 1000, 1400 or 1800 yards/mts down the lane..

And yes, agree with your comment.. IMHO, the 6.5's will outshine the 27 in the long distance arena.. for one, the 26 Nosler to start the show if you want to go by mere numbers.. personally becoming more and more of a fan of the 6.5PRC... for 800 and above it really takes over vs the CM... Even more so for longer distances is the 28 N--shooting heavy for caliber bullets 175 to 190 gr.. amazing long distance ballistics..

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #337078 - 26/01/20 04:27 PM

Quote:

I find shooting long distance very interesting ..
*Snip*
...Even more so for longer distances is the 28 N--shooting heavy for caliber bullets 175 to 190 gr.. amazing long distance ballistics..

The BMG is a Whopper and components are easy to get.
Ed Hubel's 416 HE has been good for the ELR guys.
Really fantastic ballistics waaay out there.

But yes, for solid long range results these new cartridges via factory components in relatively lightweight rifles are good. Really good.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: tinker]
      #337086 - 27/01/20 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I find shooting long distance very interesting ..
*Snip*
...Even more so for longer distances is the 28 N--shooting heavy for caliber bullets 175 to 190 gr.. amazing long distance ballistics..

The BMG is a Whopper and components are easy to get.
Ed Hubel's 416 HE has been good for the ELR guys.
Really fantastic ballistics waaay out there.

But yes, for solid long range results these new cartridges via factory components in relatively lightweight rifles are good. Really good.

Yes..I read and saw an article a few months back..Tom B.of GUNS AND AMMO fame,.was making consistent hits at 2000 yrds with the 300PRC... 1.25 MILES is getting out there..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (27/01/20 02:59 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#337090 - 27/01/20 06:13 AM

Each to his own. Our 1,400 meter range is far enough, for me
but can "see" there being a desire or want to shoot further.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#337093 - 27/01/20 09:12 AM

Quote:

Each to his own. Our 1,400 meter range is far enough, for me
but can "see" there being a desire or want to shoot further.

Have to admit.. after doing 1400, have a desire to do the 1760, 1 mile shot when the opportunity presents itself.. .. and yes, 2000 has a nice round number ring to it..

It is amazing isn't it how far people are shooting, how equipment has advanced to keep up with this sport, or at least make it more possible for a larger majority of people..

When at the school, I asked what they felt was the bigger contributor. Without a pause equipment was stated every time by every instructor.. I remember the day when 400 was considered a longer shot...

--------------------

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #337150 - 29/01/20 05:57 AM

People who always wanted a fast .270cal suddenly rush to buy the .27 Nosler. I wonder if the knew the .270 Weatherby has been in town since 1943?..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #337159 - 29/01/20 07:50 AM

Quote:

People who always wanted a fast .270cal suddenly rush to buy the .27 Nosler. I wonder if the knew the .270 Weatherby has been in town since 1943?..

OR, the 270WSM..which would be my choice over the 270 Win..

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#337175 - 29/01/20 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Had one, got rid of it. I found with the WSM cases the smaller the cal the harder they were to resize to fit the chamber. As the cal got larger the easier to resize and the less resizing needed. Needed a small base die for the 270WSM or a sloppier chamber.

Nosler over the Weatherby simply because of cost of the case and no belt. I am getting picky in my old age.

Ripp
.577 member

#337176 - 29/01/20 11:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Had one, got rid of it. I found with the WSM cases the smaller the cal the harder they were to resize to fit the chamber. As the cal got larger the easier to resize and the less resizing needed. Needed a small base die for the 270WSM or a sloppier chamber.

Nosler over the Weatherby simply because of cost of the case and no belt. I am getting picky in my old age.

Interesting... had not heard that before.. Good to know.. but I won't be getting one so not a problem.. I always felt of the WSM rounds that came out, IF I was to ever buy one, the 270 offered the best ballistics..

Agree with the Nosler over the Weatherby case... NO belt as well.. I really like the 28 Nosler..have been using it now for the past 2 years.. deer and elk.. works very well.. has become my go to for shooting anything in Montana rifle..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#337178 - 30/01/20 04:07 AM

Quote:

It is amazing isn't it how far people are shooting, how equipment has advanced to keep up with this sport, or at least make it more possible for a larger majority of people..

This, in itself REALLY frightens our Liberals up here. That is why Trudeau Senior's government attempted to classify all rifles with scopes as military-type, but failed. I expect the Idiot Junior Turdeau to attempt something along that line as well.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: szihn]
      #337184 - 30/01/20 06:46 AM

Quote:

*snip*
...if Nosler wants to do it right they need to introduce some longer heavier bullets and have barrels made with faster twists (as we see with this new 270) and NOT try for more speed, but go for the same speed as the older shell with a notable heavier bullet

*snip*

...longer bullets, and barrels to shoot them well, would be the way to go. Not just taking bullets of a design 50-85 years old and making them go 300-500 FPS faster...

Pretty much this, and generate a range of exceptional bullets to maximize the effect - which *is* something that Nosler is working on with the Accubond Long Range bullets. I'd like to see more variety. More long punch-style solids like the CEB solids, the Woodleigh Hydro, and the North Fork flat and cup point solids would be nice.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 27 Nosler....end of the 270 Win.??? [Re: tinker]
      #337192 - 30/01/20 12:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

*snip*
...if Nosler wants to do it right they need to introduce some longer heavier bullets and have barrels made with faster twists (as we see with this new 270) and NOT try for more speed, but go for the same speed as the older shell with a notable heavier bullet

*snip*

...longer bullets, and barrels to shoot them well, would be the way to go. Not just taking bullets of a design 50-85 years old and making them go 300-500 FPS faster...

Pretty much this, and generate a range of exceptional bullets to maximize the effect - which *is* something that Nosler is working on with the Accubond Long Range bullets. I'd like to see more variety. More long punch-style solids like the CEB solids, the Woodleigh Hydro, and the North Fork flat and cup point solids would be nice.

I had heard some years back, like 6, that Nosler had an issue with their LONG RANGE Accubonds. So because of that I have never dabbled with them..Probably ignorant for me to think that way and should try them now..I would think they have it figured out.. have always liked Nosler products

As for bullet that will stand up to speed, Swifts have never let me down in that regard.. Barnes Tripe Shocks also however I like the mushroomed Swifts more..each to their own.. The regular Accubonds will do o.k. with mv of 3100 or under.. did not have good experiences with close shots on higher velocities --3300 and above..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6575

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com