Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your Longest or Greatest Shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gunnie
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: hoppdoc]
      #60985 - 09/08/06 09:27 PM

The best to date was during a red deer cull last year. Using a Savage Tac Elite in 308W and a 10x42 scope I was standing on the back of a team members ute, shooting offhand at a group of deer behind us.

The angle was slightly downhill and along a row of saplings. The group had four animals in it and all were not too phased by the spotlight. I estimated the range at 300M and aimed for the base of the neck on the first doe. Squeezed off the shot and heard the reassuring sound of a solid hit. Reloaded and aimed at the next doe, same result, second deer dropped on the spot. Gambled on a third and scored another hit, though this time the animal didn't drop on the spot but stumbled forward into the next row and out of sight.

Had one of the team members set the position on his GPS and then headed off to the spot where the deer were. Found the first two easily enough, exactly where they fell. The third was in the second row over from where it was hit.

The range of the first two was 357Metres. The third was hit at roughly the same distance as the others. The first two were clean neck shots whereas the third was hit back in the shoulder.

The rifle was sighted for point of aim at 300Metres for Combined Service Rifle sniper class competition so I knew it would be on the mark at that range.

I've missed a lot closer shots which a shooter should never ever miss, but those three shots will remain crystal clear in my mind till the day I die. The stuff that memories are made of!!

--------------------
Reach out, way out, one shot & one shot should do the job!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #61845 - 29/08/06 03:26 AM

This would be one of my Greatest shots.

I was boar hunting. I was maybe in a woods about 25yds in a tree stand when I heard a boar running in a field. So I got ready with my 7mm Mag and got sight of him. So I followed him in my sights in a open space between trees,
got a little lead [ a couple inches ] then pulled the trigger, hit him dead center and slowed him down. He then went over to the fence about 60 yds. and died. My shot was about 40 yds
with a running boar.Bullet was a 160 nosler.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: jro45]
      #61898 - 30/08/06 07:05 AM

Not a terribly long shot but its my best "amazing shot."

Years ago in Hawaii my dad and I headed up Mauna Kea to look for mouflon, and feral goats and boar. From the start everything went wrong with the trip. We missed the alarm and woke up to late. Trying to hurry in the morning to get ready we forgot half our stuff: game bags, skinning knives, etc. So by the time we got there we had essentially given up hope of catching anything. It was too late and too hot for animals to move.

In addition I had a terrible stye eye infection. My right shooting eye was almost swollen shut and leading pus everywhere. It was pretty bad...

So while out hiking my dad says, "Hey look over there!" I see up the sloop of the mountain a good sized black boar eating grass. Maybe 175 yards away. I plop down and get in a good sitting position with a hasty sling. I'm using my battered Ruger m-77 in 30-06 with a really baaad Simons scope on it. I could barely see with the eye infection. But one shot and down the boar went. It was a bit of a challenge cleaning him and carrying out the meat with only a pocket knife and no game bags, but we managed.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #63893 - 12/10/06 01:58 AM

454 yards with my CZ .22 Hornet on an adult gopher. The previous year, with a lighter load, a 345yard shot on a young gopher with the same rifle.
; Other than a long (over 300 yard) shot made many years ago with a .45/70 on moose, I prefer to keep big game within 100 yards.
; I'm finding long range hitting of very small rodents to be all the challenge I need. We use the .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire for out to 240 yards on gophers then either a .17 AckHornet or .17AckBee for the long shots.
: Making a pile of the canabilistic gophers as they come to eat their friends makes for a fun shoot. We've amassed as many as 15 gophers in one pile, at 300 yards range. After that, the pile hides those coming to feed on fresh protein.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: DarylS]
      #67729 - 22/12/06 09:59 AM

hey....another great shot (Lucky is more like it) this year.....and again I'm hunting the wiley Wisconsin whitetail.

Day one and I'm on post while some drivers are driving a 40 acre woodlot. This smaller buck comes running at me and then veers off to my left. The rifle scope finds the point about three feet ahead of the deer and the bark of the 30-06 and the buck takes a tumble....All in sight of several drivers.

The distance was close so I get harassed only a little with lucky shooting!!!

Two days later I'm again on post and another buck is chased out of a woodlot and this time it's hell bent for election and a bit over 200 yards. Once again the M-70 comes to shoulder and four shots laterthe deer falls for the count.

Again there are many witnesses and I get a hell of a harrassing over how lucky it is to hit one running like that at that distance until we get to the deer.....It had been hit three times!!!

I just kept composure and let them think it's like this all the time!!!

--------------------

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Gunnie]
      #67793 - 22/12/06 10:04 PM

I was at the army shooting range which is situated out of the city in a semi-desert area,where I had gone to zero my rifle,a 270 with a zeiss 2.5x10x50 scope.After zeroing it at 200 meters I was leaving when I spotted a wild dog(not like the ones in Australia or Africa but a local one).Just to test the zero I decided to take a shot at it.It was about 500 plus yards and I knew I would'nt hit it but neverthless I took the shot.To my utter surprise the dog dropped dead shot thru the shoulder.My friends could not believe it and wrote it off as a lucky flook but it was a long shot,the longest I have ever hit.Wish it had been an ibex instead of a dog,but then every dog has his day!

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: iqbal]
      #68345 - 30/12/06 09:59 AM

I shot 600 yds with my 270 Win with a 3X9 Burris Bplex scope. The group was 3 bullets inside 3".

The bullets were Serria 130gr

John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: jro45]
      #68362 - 30/12/06 02:02 PM

Not my longest shot but one of my most memorable "lucky" shots. My buddy and I did a lot of jack hunting with varmint rifles in the winter months and we certainly got our share of runners, most off-hand, in the middle of a field something to lean on was scarce. Anyway we were standing together contemplating our next move when we spotted a jack running full tilt some distance away, running straight across. I shouldered my 6mm. and as I did so my partner said " you aren't really going to fire are you" and I said "of course I am". To make the story short I led and held high, pulled the trigger and nailed the jack in mid leap. My buddy said "if I wasn't standing here I would not believed it, that jack must have been suicidle" - distance 330 yards. --- John 303

hcroveda
.224 member

Reged: 19/04/04
Loc: San Martín de los Andes, Neuqu...
      #69038 - 08/01/07 01:16 AM

1986.- South Afrika, border to Namibia. two days find cheetah in the desert (very hot days).
In the afternoon of the second day I see the cheetah seat at 150 meters (more or less).
When he see me, begginig to run and I shot only one time, at hands free, with my Mauser .375 H&H
and the cheetah was mine. One shot in the shoulder, 180 paces. A shotgun shot (and a lucky shot).
Regards.
Hector

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: hcroveda]
      #69202 - 10/01/07 07:11 AM

As for long range shooting, my buddy has a Ruger #1 that posted groups on 2 successive years of under 5" at 1,000 yards. It is chambered for the .300 H&H. The first year it was used, he won the 1,000 yard bench rest competition with 4.5", fro hunting rifle class, and the next year, his wife shot the same rifle, same group size, winning that year's event.

--------------------
Daryl

RigbyKid
.224 member

Reged: 22/01/07
Loc: North Carolina,USA
      #69943 - 22/01/07 10:03 AM

I have taken 2 sheep at 509 and 550 ydsthe first a dall the second a stone in 30 mile cross wind .I missed first shot with aid of guide and spotting scope he told me I was 12 inches in front of hi body.my next shot was dead behind the shouldeer was not even holding on the sheep.wind drift was estimated at 35.inches.I am luck to have 1000 yd rande in my back yard.I have never killed any thing with double rifle over 80 yds.a rule of thumb is 3 inches high at 100yds is the seed of bullet less last numberlie 3150 would be 315 yds.

Savuti_One_Shot
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: Florida
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: RigbyKid]
      #70138 - 25/01/07 07:11 AM

G'Day. This is my first post.

There are a few that come to mind, but this stands out.
I was prone on a 30 ft high bluff overlooking the Zambezi shooting at a croc about 80-100 yds away at the water's edge. Rifle was a Ruger 416Rigby with a Harris bipod that the PH had the foresight to bring along. Ammo was handloaded 400gr A-Frames.

He was quartering towards us as I lined up for a brain shot. At the shot, the tail went to flapping like a banshee, water spraying like geysers. I heard the PH say, "In the shoulder, in the shoulder!!". So gave him another at the junction of head and body. That stopped all the commotion!
Detailed examination revealed the first round entered right where I'd intended. a few inches in front of the right eye. The top of the skull, between and behind the eyes, was now hinged like the top of a cardboard box.

The first one did the job, but as long as the tail's still moving you run the risk of losing him in the water. He taped out at 13' 4" even with a piece of tail missing.

ChopperGuy
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/04
Loc: Northern Minnesota
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Savuti_One_Shot]
      #71298 - 12/02/07 10:04 AM

Nothing especially long, but interesting and FUN!!

Most fun long shot was a prairie dog that my shooting partner laser ranged at 287 yards. I took it with my Volquartsen .17HRM, first shot.

Longest double rifle shot was a springbuck at 210 meters (lasered after the shot) with my former Krieghoff Classic in .30-06.

Most unique shot, 2 white tail does with one shot from my 9.3x74R double rifle. Waited to line 3 of them up, but only two got in line with each other. (We can take up to 5 deer right on my property due to large numbers of deer in the State.) Clean kills on each with quality controlled expansion bullets.

The next day I took 2 running deer at 80 yards. Both were going opposite directions at full speed. One went down with each barrel of the double. Again with the .30-06.

--------------------
"If you are in trouble, an airplane can fly over and throw you flowers, while a helicopter can land and save your life" Igor Sikorsky 1947

karluk
.224 member

Reged: 11/02/07
Loc: alaska
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: ChopperGuy]
      #71334 - 13/02/07 01:00 AM

Mule deer
The buck was standing on a hillside across a ravine, he was below me facing uphill and directly away from me. He and about 6 does had just been spooked out of the brush by a couple of elk. He kept looking back and forth, follow the does going up the hill, or go back to the safety of the brush in the bottom of the ravine.
I hadn't been able to get a good look at the rack but it was getting close to the end of the hunt and I was confident that it was a bigger buck than the few I had gotten before, which was my goal.
I decided to take him.
Most of my experience had been with white-tails and I had hard time remembering when I saw bucks that they generally don't disappear in seconds like white tails, also I tend to be somewhat excitable and rush my shots. This time however, I remained calm, took off my pack, set it on a dead fall, and laid down with my rifle rested on the pack.
I estimated the range and figured I would have to hold about 10" high. I got settled in and squeezed the trigger, the buck seemed to react as though he was hit, but I wasn't sure. He took a few steps to my left and stopped broadside, I took another shot, this time he turned around and ran about 25 yds, then stopped broadside again facing to my right. I settled in and fired a third time, the buck dropped on the shot.
I called to my hunting buddies to let them know I had a deer down and directed one of them to the buck before I left my shooting location, we estimated the range at 325 yds.
Upon examination of the buck we found an entrance hole in the back, right between the shoulders, obviously the first shot, and if my memory is correct an entrance hole on the right side just behind the shoulder, the third shot.
We also found a bullet in a hind quarter that was very well mushroomed, but we did not find an entrance hole, and there was no bloodshot meat. We probably did not take as much time to investigate how that bullet got there as we should have, but we were anxious to get him cut up and packed out. I obviously hit him 2 times right where I planned, and I believe I hit him all 3 times.
Not as long as many of the shots in the stories posted here, but I was pleased, especially with my self control.
I was also pleased with the buck, it turned out to be a 22" wide 5X5.
I was shooting a pre 64 model 70 - 270 Win, with an older Redfield 4-12x scope, and Remington 130gr core-lokt psp ammo.
Maybe I had a little help that day from an angel named Jack..................

--------------------
The only thing worse than a male chauvinist pig is a
woman that won't do what she's told.

BigMike
.224 member

Reged: 25/03/07
Loc: HoosierLand
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: karluk]
      #79490 - 28/05/07 12:01 AM

Denali wilderness,Alaska-Caribou.
It was late Oct.,1969 in the area overlooking the Susitna river valley along HWY 8 (the old Denali HWY).The caribou were pretty much out of the high country by then due to heavy snowfall, but spotted a small herd & made a stalk.The herd was about to go out of sight & my buddy had a new fangled contraption called a range finder.He checked the range & said near as he could tell it was 380 to 420 yards (range finders have came a long way since then).I decided to try & sat down in the
snow & let go.When I recovered from the recoil, the critter was sliding down the mountain side into the valley between us.I don't know who was more surprised, me or my buddy.The rifle was a Rem. 700 ADL in 30-06 with some kind of hand load of 150 GR. boatails that I used for things that did'nt bite.The fun began on the way out of there as OLE MAN WINTER decided to test us dith heavy show driving skills.The last 30 miles out found us in a caravan of about 12-15 other vehicles trying to get out too.Fortunatly everyone worked together & we all got out of there. That HWY closed for the winter that day! It was a vvvery long drive to Anchrage that night-Heavy snow & mountains most of the way.AH, to be young again.

Gustavo
.224 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: karluk]
      #79646 - 31/05/07 09:43 AM

Patagonia region, near the city of San Martín de los Andes in 1997.

The rifle a Ruger KM77RSP in .300WinMag, 180 gr Nosler Partition. Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10x50 AO

The prey, a nice ( not really trophy grade ) Red Stag.

It was a rare ocassion with almost no wind ( very strage situation ).

The distance was about 550 yards, on a mountain side.

One shot, and he went down like being struck with a celestial hammer.

Shot right to the shoulder, where it belongs, with a though bullet that smacked bone with authority and perfect performance.

Second time, in 2003, near the beautiful city of Bariloche.

Same rifle, same scope, but now wiht a nice load of 180gr CT FailSafe.

Now was the time for a wild hog who was rovering around, when I was searching the mountains for an elusive Red Stag.

Distance about 480 yards.

The guide was amazed at the shot ( free hand standing ) also I was

That mountain hog took the shot, turn off the lights and said goodbye to all.

--------------------
Best regards, Gus
--------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Gustavo]
      #378819 - 22/08/23 09:43 PM

The distance of the shot was not very long, but the circumstances of the shooting were great.

The Elk was moving on a ridge as night fall and was good visible in the moonlight. I did not have a range finder with me at the time and with the assumed size of the game, only used my scope with reticle 1 to estimate the distance.

I estimated the distance at about 300m and accordingly corrected the reference point when aiming. Taking into account the drop of the 19g TUG bullet of the cartridge 9,3x64, I aimed in the course of the front leg just above the spine of the animal and shot. The deer go down on the place with a heart shot.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #378821 - 23/08/23 02:04 AM

As a teenager I shot a 270 Winchester so much I needed to re-barrel it in only 4 years and I am now on that rifles 3rd barrel. I also have shot the rifling out of the throat of a 375H&H and learned to use it at all ranges very well. I also did a lot of long range shooting as a US Marine. So making hits at longer ranges was something I was very good at, and it lost it's charm to me when I was in my 30s.
But my "greatest shots" were never shots that were like target shooting. They were the ones I made at very close range or at moving game with very slim times available to make those shots.

A few of my bragging shots are ;
My closest elk was killed with my 375&H at about 6 feet, and I shot from the hip.
My closest shot on a deer was made with a 270 at about 5 feet, "aiming" down the side of the barrel.
My closest shot on a bear was with a 44 magnum handguns, and I blew hear off the bear.
And the same with my closest antelope kill, with my 9.3X74R at a distance of about 18 inches. There was a lot of hair in the air at the shot.
One shot that was the most impressive was at a running Mule Deer buck going like his tail was on fire down a ridge to escape from my hunting partners and he ran across an old timber trail that was about 4 feet wide at full speed. I had my 30-06 Scout Rifle and I made a perfect heart shot on him as he came across that 4 foot opening and killed him. I look back and think "I could not have hit a bird with an open choked shotgun with that little time and at that speed" ----- but I did it and it was just one of those perfect moments because I KNEW I'd hit him through the heart as soon as I pressed the trigger.
One of my friends was standing there and was so impressed that he could not stop talking about it for days.
Just one of those moments that came together exactly right when the brain was processing information at light speed I guess.

Edited by szihn (23/08/23 02:08 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: szihn]
      #378825 - 23/08/23 03:48 AM

That indeed would be a great shot.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: DarylS]
      #378831 - 23/08/23 10:55 AM

Nice shooting, gentlemen!

Pretty sure the link to that story I tossed up in 2005 will be defunct, so HERE it is again for anyone interested.

Still hunt regularly with that .400 Jeffery double, despite my aging eyesight, and it will be in the hunting field again next week.
Just can't seem to let go of open express sights!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11799

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com