Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts?
      #99989 - 22/03/08 11:04 PM

I am always curious as to whats used the most for game hunting in the locale of the hunter and then when hunting away---

At home in the states if I were walking out the door it would be a 270 or a 7mm08-

If hunting away in the states a 300 ultramag or 338WM,and if outside CONUS probably a 416.If I had the money for a new Double a 450/400 with a qd scope would be wonderful--

What do other forum members use locally and away??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #99994 - 22/03/08 11:40 PM

I mostly hunt with either a 300 Win. Mag. or a 338 Win. Mag., and I've hunted with both cartridges a great deal on my own on local hunts here in Oregon and in Idaho for mule deer and elk, and I've used them in many other states, as well as abroad

In particular, I've used the 300 Win. Mag. for everything from Alaska to Mexico, and from B.C. to Tanzania with many points in between.

For the last five years, I've used the 338 more than the 300, and mostly because it isn't quite as loud and I've really come to enjoy hunting with one particular 338 Win. Mag. I have that has become my favorite rifle because it balances perfectly and feels great, has a perfect trigger, shoots a number of premium bullet loads well, feeds like butter, looks great, and it has that certain something that no other rifle I've owned has ever quite had. In many ways, it's more about the rifle than it is about the cartridge it's chambered for.

But getting down to the bottom line, I've found that the 300 Win. Mag. and the 338 Win. Mag. are each good for some 99% of the world's big game, and they leave absolutely nothing to be desired, just so long as you shoot well and employ good bullets.

There is no perfect all-around rifle or cartridge, but there IS a nearly endless supply of truly great ones!

It's like Jim Carmichel said so very well:

"There's no shortage of all-purpose rifles - where are the all-purpose hunters?"

AD

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
      #99995 - 22/03/08 11:41 PM

if mule deer is the quarry, i take my 270 which will also handle bull elk nicely. if after elk i use a 338. africa i've used 308, 338, 9.3X64, 375HH, and 416 rem. all one weapon safaris. limited to one rifle for north america i would probably choose a 30/06. for africa the 416 because my experience is the 9.3 and 375 are a bit light for the big stuff. that said, its a lot easier to find 375 ammo in africa than maybe anything else with the exception of 7.62X39.

André
.333 member

Reged: 28/06/04
Loc: Brussels (Belgium)
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts? [Re: rscott]
      #99999 - 23/03/08 12:08 AM

Here's my travel outfit : Blaser R 93 with scoped bbls., bolt heads and magazines in .300 Win and 9,3x62. They interchange without need for zeroing and make me feel ready to take on whatever might show up.

--------------------
André
---------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts? [Re: André]
      #100008 - 23/03/08 02:29 AM

André: that's a great setup. And with the case it would ride along nicely in the back of my UTV.

Hoppdoc, the interesting thing about a guy's "most versatile rifle" to me is that the options are darn near endless. We have so many really excellent calibers and rifles available to us these days a guy has to make some effort to make a bad choice. Every combination already cited by others would suit me just fine as far as practicality and usefulness is concerned.

Over the years I've used alot of different rifles/calibers and for deer, elk, bear and coyote I have more or less settled on the 6.5x55 and 9.3x57. In fact, I've sold most of my other guns that used to serve similar duty.

Do I use them because they are the "best"? No, because they work just fine for my conditions and I like them. Truth is, I could lose the x57 and be 100% A OK with the 6.5x55, even including small varmints like ground squirrels that I use my .223 on now.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #100010 - 23/03/08 02:41 AM

Here is my all around rifle. A .375 H&H built on an Interarms Mark X action. With it I have taken deer, antelope, & few prairie dogs.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts [Re: WyoJoe]
      #100021 - 23/03/08 04:04 AM

I use my Ruger Magnum in .416 Rigby exclusively for anything from fox to buffalo. With the exception of buffalo it is enough gun to ensure a quick humane death and rather little meat destruction on our little 20kg roe deer. For sure a 30-06 is wasting more of this delicious meat than the .416. Trajectory is flat enough for long shots at 250 meters without any problem, but since I am a hunter and not a sniper there is no need for this kind of performance. But the cartridge can do it which makes me confident. Besides the rifle is accurate enough to hit a fox at 150 meters so there is not much left to desire. Of course I am the only hunter here around that has this opinion, but the others never tried !

Kalunga

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts [Re: Kalunga]
      #100037 - 23/03/08 09:25 AM

My Kimber Montana 7mm08 is the go-to gun for Red, Fallow & Sika Deer - out to 300 meters. If I go for Sambar I'll take my Simson 9.3X62 - I am confident with it out ot 250 meters but have not hunted with it yet. If I was to go to N.America for deer or Elk it will be with my Sako L61R in 280 Ackley Imp with 2.5-10X Swarovski. It weighs 9 lbs loaded but is a real honey to shoot - out to 400 meters.

One day I will hunt Africa & my 9.3X62 will be accompanied by either the 6.5X54 MS or the 9.5X57 MS - both with open sights.

I hope to chase water buffalo in Aussie with my Simson 9.3X62.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts [Re: Kalunga]
      #100038 - 23/03/08 09:30 AM

I live in the Southern US. If I lived in the Northwest my most used rifle would be different-probably a light handy (VERY ugly)Browning A Bolt in 300 WSM shooting 180 gr partitions.

If I lived in Alaska I would probably favor a 338 bolt to everything else--

If I lived and wandered through Africa a lightweight 375H&H would always be handy(ammo availability) unless DG could be encountered--

As stated above, for me its all about personal preference and comfort level with an accurate, reliable rifle that doesn't feel like a boat anchor to carry around.

Where I live the 270 would be fine. You could even go with a 243 and not be wrong!!

It's ultimately all about what a fella likes carry and to shoot!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Luckydog
.275 member

Reged: 27/02/08
Loc: Huntin' In Colorado
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts [Re: hoppdoc]
      #100054 - 23/03/08 12:03 PM

For me it depends on the game, terrain, and the conditions. I use a 22lr or .223 for pdogs. I use a .223 or .270 for coyotes. I use a .270 or a 300 RUM for deer. I use a 300 RUM for elk and black bear. This year I will be using my 375H&H for elk and my first moose hunt, and will probably be using it on any bear hunts from now on. I also like my 12 guage slug gun for dark timber hunting. If I had to pick one rifle for everything here in North America it would be my 300 RUM.

--------------------
Make Sure You Vote, And Make Sure Your Friends Vote!!

When they outlaw guns...I'll be an outlaw! Reese

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #100077 - 23/03/08 04:11 PM

The most popular caliber here is the 270 followed closely by the 7mm.mag.The 22 250 is fast gaining popularity as a deer rifle.As we do not have big game here there is no need for the big boys i.e.375 H&H or anything bigger.

jimincolo
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/08
Loc: colorado
Re: What's your most versatile rifle? Locally? Foreign Hunts? [Re: iqbal]
      #100111 - 24/03/08 05:28 AM

I normally go to deer/elk camp with a two rifle battery. A Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Wthby mag topped with 3x9 Zeiss Conquest is used for open country. This is a single load gun, which puts 160 gr. Nosler Partitions into an inch. When I anticipate being in brush or black timber, I switch to my BLR .358 Win. Sights can be either Williams Receiver & fiber optic front or Leupold mini 4X; depending upon mood at the time. This is a particularly deadly 250 yard rifle, when using 250 gr. Speer handloads.

If for some reason, I am limited to one rifle, my usual choice would be a Ruger 77 in .270 with a Leupold 3.5X10. For a scoped bolt gun, it is reasonably compact & handy. The Leupold offers a large eyebox, so quick target acquisition is possible. My all around load uses the 140 gr. Fail Safe bullet. I'm a year or so away from having to develop another load, due to lack of availability.

The above serves me very well here in the Rockies. If I were to concentrate my time in Northern Canada & Alaska, my choice would be hands down, Model 70 .338 Win. Mag.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3190

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com