Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Safari raffle for the troops

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Rob01
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/04
Loc: Connecticut
Safari raffle for the troops
      #9958 - 24/02/04 10:18 AM

I was talking to Rob, who is running the raffle, today and he said the ticket sales were slow so I thought I'd put this out again although it would be a first in this forum. Rob is running a raffle for a 7 day hunting safari for 2 including airfare and a new 300WM Remington 700 and Leupold scope. Total number of tickets sold will be 600 so you have a 1 in 600 chance of winning this great prize. More of a chance if you buy a few tickets.

The money goes for a great cause "Goodie for the Grunts" and you get a great prize for your $25 ticket if you win. I've got my tickets so I thought some others might want some. Even if you don't win it's good donation to our troops. Here's a link to the site with all the details http://www.bushtracks-safaris.com/bushtracks_055.htm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Safari raffle for the troops [Re: Rob01]
      #10300 - 27/02/04 09:34 PM

I can't say I am very impressed with this raffle at all.

The prize value is very inequal with non-US citizens effectively not receiving the rifle prize and also missing out on the airfare value. It is not being marketed purely to US citizens which in that case would be different.

I do not see why the funds saved for both these items could not have been set aside for the winner if a non-US citizen to buy for themselves an air ticket (ie fix a maximum dollar value payable in cash for airfares) and a rifle (ie at the cost to the raffle or sponsor).

This raffle if held in Australia and may other countries would not be legal due to variation in prize value for different participants.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rob01
.224 member

Re: Safari raffle for the troops [Re: NitroX]
      #10302 - 27/02/04 11:25 PM

Sorry you feel that way but it's run by a US company who is giving the prizes away. I don't have any say in any of the raffle rules as my invovlement stops at buying a ticket. I just thought it was a good buy for a $25 ticket as well as helping get some much needed items to the troops to help keep thier moral up. I've been in the field eating nothing but MREs and drinking warm water for weeks, it sucks. This is a small way to help. The raffle shouldn't be the main reason for buying a ticket anyways. Also even if you have to pay airfare tell me where you can get a 7 day safari for $25?

Nitro if you don't want to buy a ticket then don't and if you don't like this post telling people about it then I know you have the power to delete it but you will be doing a huge diservice to anyone who wants to help the troops and possibly win a 1 in 600 chance at a safari which they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise, like myself.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #10336 - 28/02/04 01:52 PM

Rob

I understand your position from the PMs as well as this thread.

No I do not want to delete the post or thread. The objective is a reasonable one.

As previously said I do think the organisers could have made an effort to provide substitute prizes for the value (or cost to them) of the rifle and airfares eg cash contribution to the winner's air fare and perhaps additional funds available for the safari eg observer or trophy fees. It would have been very easy for them to even out the prize value.

Of course some non-USA residents might still buy tickets. That's their choice.

We'll leave it like that I think. People can decide themselves. The prize is still a good one. Airfares do make it weeter though. For USA residents, and has been mentioned on the web site it would be a very good hunt for a new person to African safaris.

I would certainly be buying a couple tickets if a USA resident.

PS Why do people (Rob - not just you) keep suggesting we delete threads? These are open forums and "owned" by the members. Only in exceptional circumstances would we do that.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rob01
.224 member

#10762 - 03/03/04 12:59 PM

BTT

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1660

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com