Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What a Joke!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: What a Joke! [Re: gunbug]
      #99622 - 19/03/08 10:40 AM

Sinner

Why not buy the Company and put Curl, Nigel and myself in charge? I think we could do a better job with quality control, a better job in arranging for engravers and stockmakers and would only require some ocasional Safari money to test the product.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: What a Joke! [Re: mickey]
      #99623 - 19/03/08 10:50 AM

I'd put my money in a Floating Topless Bait shop rather than try to salvage the mess these clowns made of a great name. It needs to rest quietly for a while before someone who can do a 'hands on' like Paul Roberts with Jeffery comes on the scene. Given the damage done, it's going to take time and skill, not just a cash infusion, to breath life into this corpse.

In the interim, that Floating Topless Bait Shop isn't a bad idea if you all have some extra cash. We could even put the talent we have here to good use. Curls has the fishing knowledge and could line up the bait. I am a registered hobby gynocologist and I'll be happy to vet the sales ladies. 'Course with my luck, they'd all look like Rosie O'Donnell instead of Eva Mendes or Salma Hyek. But trust me, I'll 'handle' it. (Nyuk, Nyuk.) Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: What a Joke! [Re: dnovo]
      #99624 - 19/03/08 10:59 AM

Shifting Rigby from London to California is like shifting Weatherby from California to London.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #99625 - 19/03/08 11:01 AM

Quote:

I'd put my money in a Floating Topless Bait shop . . .

With riverboat gambling!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: What a Joke! [Re: CptCurl]
      #99639 - 19/03/08 01:30 PM

How about this forum guys forming a new company & buying our Rigby? There seems to be so much knowledge & skill that it should be successful venture.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: What a Joke! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #99641 - 19/03/08 01:37 PM

Quote:

How about this forum guys forming a new company & buying our Rigby? There seems to be so much knowledge & skill that it should be successful venture.

Our Rigby ?

That would piss a few people off !!!

I couldn't give a shit who owns it, as long as they appreciate it for what it is and treat it accordingly.

In some ways I think the one's holding up the QUALITY end ATM
- apart from the English - is the Italians.

Not sure whether that is a good fit though !!!

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: What a Joke! [Re: DarylS]
      #99644 - 19/03/08 01:46 PM

Daryl: Beautiful Flint double.
I love shooting flints. I have such an issue finding black powder any more.
This one you show is truely a gem.
Tell me more about it.
Thanks for showing the photo.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Raff
.300 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
      #99652 - 19/03/08 02:46 PM

I just opened the photos. Holy crap is that bad. Wood,
fit, everything is just bad. Can someone tell me if the
finish on the action and lock plates is supposed to be
color case hardned?
Raff

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: What a Joke! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #99695 - 20/03/08 12:57 AM

i will leave this picture hanging for a moment. 25.000 $ are you f*******g nuts.

this is from turkey and will cost you about a 1000,- euro

do all people in california takes drugs all the time ?

best regards

peter

Edited by peter (20/03/08 01:05 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: peter]
      #99696 - 20/03/08 01:32 AM

Peter

The thing is, I don't think you can lump ALL American's in with the California Rigby lot.

I think most are a lot more intelligent.

Just the Rigby crowd pulls down the average !!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99699 - 20/03/08 02:12 AM

It would make a nice boat anchor for my 46' Skater!

mngane
.224 member

Reged: 09/03/04
Re: What a Joke! [Re: peter]
      #99700 - 20/03/08 02:18 AM

I am curious how does Millers company stay in business? I assume it is still his company as I saw him walking around the booth at Reno, if you have seen him before you know that he is hard to miss. Anyway the prices for some of the rifles at Reno approached the $100K mark, and may have gone over, I didnt look at them all, so who buys these?

I feel a bit of humor when I go by thier booth as you cannot touch the rifles without assistance according to the signs that lay beside every rifle. I suppose their theory is if you are touching crap it will be obvious once you pick it up and catch the smell .

I do not pretend to know too much about doubles, as compared to most of you on here, but I do read and I handle every one that someone will let me touch and I have owned several, one being a fine rifle. I have no problem with $100K rifles (except being able to buy them of course ) but the people who can and do buy $100K rifles, I would assume its not their "first rodeo" so to speak. How does Mexican Rigby, (thats funny) sell these rifles to the people who can afford to buy them. Maybe they get a sucker every now and then but that would not support a company?

In my oppinion a neophyte certainly can see the "etch a sketch" engraving, proud metal to wood fit, and just plain "cheesey production" everyting from the stamped looking John Rigby Co. name, the rear sight that deserves no description, and the action....... If a person has ever seen a London Rigby, how could they ever consider purchasing even a used California Rigby at a discounted price that is still more than its worth ???? I would think one would feel embarrasment showing the rifle to anyone that had any knowledge of fine doubles.

I have always had a curiosity about this company, and I think about it during the conventions every year. How the Hell is this company still in business? I am glad this thread was started.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: mngane]
      #99708 - 20/03/08 02:55 AM

Quote:

I am curious how does Millers company stay in business? I assume it is still his company as I saw him walking around the booth at Reno, if you have seen him before you know that he is hard to miss. Anyway the prices for some of the rifles at Reno approached the $100K mark, and may have gone over, I didnt look at them all, so who buys these?

I feel a bit of humor when I go by thier booth as you cannot touch the rifles without assistance according to the signs that lay beside every rifle. I suppose their theory is if you are touching crap it will be obvious once you pick it up and catch the smell .

I do not pretend to know too much about doubles, as compared to most of you on here, but I do read and I handle every one that someone will let me touch and I have owned several, one being a fine rifle. I have no problem with $100K rifles (except being able to buy them of course ) but the people who can and do buy $100K rifles, I would assume its not their "first rodeo" so to speak. How does Mexican Rigby, (thats funny) sell these rifles to the people who can afford to buy them. Maybe they get a sucker every now and then but that would not support a company?

In my oppinion a neophyte certainly can see the "etch a sketch" engraving, proud metal to wood fit, and just plain "cheesey production" everyting from the stamped looking John Rigby Co. name, the rear sight that deserves no description, and the action....... If a person has ever seen a London Rigby, how could they ever consider purchasing even a used California Rigby at a discounted price that is still more than its worth ???? I would think one would feel embarrasment showing the rifle to anyone that had any knowledge of fine doubles.

I have always had a curiosity about this company, and I think about it during the conventions every year. How the Hell is this company still in business? I am glad this thread was started.

Firstly, let me correct something re the Wood to Metal fit - and your comment above about it being "proud". From my understanding, all gunmakers have proud wood to metal fit on a new gun - It was explained to me that this leaves a refinish in it down the track whereas if it started flush, if you refinished it, the wood would end up below the metal.

What we are commenting on in the above posts is the - and in my post the first gun in the first advert they did years ago - the wood work was crap and the wood to metal finish was crap - uneven, gaps etc. It SEEMS to have improved but I haven't handled one lately.

In regards to "touching guns", let me give you an example. I dropped by the Famars / A&S booth one day at a Las Vegas show as I wanted to see the Hammer Ejector Shotgun. Anyway, the guy I asked happened to be the VP of Sales and not only did he hand me the gun to look at, he took the damn thing apart and showed me how it worked - and that was AFTER I told him I wasn't a buyer, just interested in the action workings and I could see that it was beautifully built.

So I really can't understand what is what with Merkel (ooops, sorry Rigby) are on about.

"Hell is this company still in business?"
Who knows, who cares ? I don't. I only enjoy these threads as it provides some humour !

Just my HO

Rant over

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99709 - 20/03/08 03:01 AM

Quote:

Sinner

Why not buy the Company and put Curl, Nigel and myself in charge? I think we could do a better job with quality control, a better job in arranging for engravers and stockmakers and would only require some ocasional Safari money to test the product.

My attorneys are going to put some "feelers" out and see what's up. If it can be bought right, I'm in. I enjoy buying companies and turning them around anyway, and this one would be a fun challenge!

First order of biz: Bring back the Rigby-Bissel rising bite action on proportional frames! Hire Phillip Coggan as our house engraver, and Trevellion as our stockmaker. Hmmm,, actions and barrels by Peter Nelson as well would be in order.. Calibre range: 22 HP - 600NE.. (Goose bumps anyone?)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: ]
      #99713 - 20/03/08 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sinner

First order of biz: Bring back the Rigby-Bissel rising bite action on proportional frames! Hire Phillip Coggan as our house engraver, and Trevellion as our stockmaker. Hmmm,, actions and barrels by Peter Nelson as well would be in order.. Calibre range: 22 HP - 600NE.. (Goose bumps anyone?)

Bring back the Rigby-Bissel rising bite

YES, YES, YES

Ross Waghorn as the stockist - lives in Aus so may have to fly him over !

Sinner
The problem is, what the hell are we going to build ?

Or will we get actions in the white and finish them off properly ?

If in the white, how about we look at the Italians as they do make some fine gear.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #99714 - 20/03/08 03:50 AM

Quote:

Shifting Rigby from London to California is like shifting Weatherby from California to London.

Mike

That is very good.

Sinner - maybe at least we have to re register the Rigby name in London - with offices in the US !!!

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: What a Joke! [Re: CptCurl]
      #99716 - 20/03/08 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd put my money in a Floating Topless Bait shop . . .

With riverboat gambling!

Curl

But of course! Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
      #99718 - 20/03/08 04:40 AM

Is the Rigby shop in California manned by illegals?

--------------------
Life is for Service

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99720 - 20/03/08 04:50 AM

"Sinner
The problem is, what the hell are we going to build ?

Or will we get actions in the white and finish them off properly ?

If in the white, how about we look at the Italians as they do make some fine gear."

Best Double Rifles ONLY! No Shotguns, no single shots. I would make miniature double rifles as well, and possible a 3 barrel variation gun. Though, staying true to the proper Rigby vintage appearances and quality at all costs.

The parts and actions can be cut from CAD copy's via CNC of the originals specs, I have a few Rigby-Bissel guns, so no problem with mock ups. Obviously the parts and barrels would have to be made off site, though assembly, and all finish work would be in house. However, as the company grew, all operations would be transfered to an "in house" only shop. I would want to use the new Austrian remelted steels via Peter Hofer's specs , and hardened as such. There is no steel harder, or more resistant to wear currently available anywhere. All guns would be proofed in London, and would carry a London address, and have the US offices as an agency, for optional retail sales only. No US assembly, for it to work, the guns would need to be put together in London to carry the proper traditions over.

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
      #99729 - 20/03/08 08:02 AM

Hypothetically speaking, would the royal warrant be reissued if the address was back in London?
I know Miller got told off for using it ,when he first took over, at SCI iirc.

Edited by ArnoldB (20/03/08 08:04 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: ArnoldB]
      #99730 - 20/03/08 08:15 AM

Quote:

Hypothetically speaking, would the royal warrant be reissued if the address was back in London?
I know Miller got told off for using it ,when he first took over, at SCI iirc.

No, extremely unlikely.

But I think it is something you'd need to look into
and whether because it was the same company it
could be used but I am sure the law would be clear
on it's use.

I remember Miller using it - I think quite a few people complained - I know I did !!!

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #99731 - 20/03/08 08:37 AM

Quote:

Sinner
Best Double Rifles ONLY! No Shotguns, no single shots. I would make miniature double rifles as well, and possible a 3 barrel variation gun. Though, staying true to the proper Rigby vintage appearances and quality at all costs.

The parts and actions can be cut from CAD copy's via CNC of the originals specs, I have a few Rigby-Bissel guns, so no problem with mock ups. Obviously the parts and barrels would have to be made off site, though assembly, and all finish work would be in house. However, as the company grew, all operations would be transfered to an "in house" only shop. I would want to use the new Austrian remelted steels via Peter Hofer's specs , and hardened as such. There is no steel harder, or more resistant to wear currently available anywhere. All guns would be proofed in London, and would carry a London address, and have the US offices as an agency, for optional retail sales only. No US assembly, for it to work, the guns would need to be put together in London to carry the proper traditions over.

New Zealand is known for creative small run size manufacturing of top quality. I know of another electronics company (not mine) that makes stuff for the space shuttles! NZ has the British tradition in engineering craftsmanship. I have dreamed of making a DR on a friend's CNC machine many times over the years!! I even visited a tool shop on Tuesday & saw their CNC machine which is running only at 5% capacity!! Robert Dollimore, formerly of Purdey, could be a consultant??? He restores DRs & shotguns for the antipodean enthusiasts.

Sinner, I am sending you a PM! Exciting challenge!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: What a Joke! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #99743 - 20/03/08 01:55 PM

Sinner, you would indeed be performing a great public service if you could put a stake through the heart of the Mexican Rigby. Bringing back the old firm would simply be icing on the cake.

I too have often scratched my head and wondered how the hell they stay in business. Is their market only the 'tasteless rich'?! I'd want a substaintial discount off of the price of a merkel (which is a fine gun for what it is) before I'd ever own one and I'd STILL be embarassed! Button rifled barrels on a shotgun action with what looks like bad cnc engraving for $25k?! Can I get one in stainless/fiberglass with a tasteful camo paint job for that price?

Craig B. is just about the only one I've ever heard with a good word to say about them. I've seriously wondered if he was on the payroll based on his 'reviews.' Maybe it is a marine thing. Supposedly Miller won the Navy Cross (read it in print twice), 2nd only to the medal of honor, but I've never quite found the story. I'd think Boddington would be all over that. Anyone know it?

I remember the DGJ article when Miller bought the name which touted their "out of the box" thinking and willingness to use new materials and methods to minimize hand fitting (button rifled barrels, glue, cnc machines, etc) as though that was a good thing!

They may be fine working and shooting rifles for the pimp gun set, I wouldn't know. Nothing wrong with that. It is pretending to be something they aren't that grates on my soul.

I think the market for 10-12 'real' Rigbys a year (at least)is certainly there. You'll have my eternal gratitude and get added to my lifetime xmas cards list, honest!

Bob (Please Please Please)

ps: If it doesn't work out, I my have to qwell my disappointment with a fishing trip. Where extactly is that bait shop going to be?

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: What a Joke! [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #99768 - 20/03/08 09:35 PM

Obviously patriotism is a different quality from the skill and knowledge it takes to make rifles to the standards we expect.

It would be wonderful to have the Rigby name restored to the quality it should stand for. Maybe some day.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What a Joke! [Re: Dutch44]
      #99771 - 20/03/08 10:20 PM

Quote:

I remember talking to Miller when he would relate to me how many renowned Italian engravers were currently working on his guns. I don't think that this is one of them. Does anyone remember which issue of DGJ had that glowing write up of the company? Is Miller still in control there?

Dutch

Just sittin' in the gutter sluggin' rats, Ma.

I have visited with Miller at SCI several years ago--it was then rumored he was in financial problems and would not be long for this world..apparently someone gave him a cash infusion of sorts..looking at this double--that is very unfortunate...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30943

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com