Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What a Joke!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a Joke!
      #99557 - 19/03/08 02:24 AM

Ok everyone knows that Rigby in California has ruined a good thing, however look at the finish work on this POS! Makes me so damn mad, perhaps I should buy the company and give it back to the Brits as a gift!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=10473

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanakim
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: What a Joke! [Re: ]
      #99561 - 19/03/08 03:00 AM

Good God!

--------------------
bwanakim

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: What a Joke! [Re: bwanakim]
      #99562 - 19/03/08 03:13 AM

Why engrave something if you don't want someone to see whats on it.It looks like someone held it over a candle.Its all about profit to Hell with craftsmanship.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

bwanakim
.275 member

Reged: 04/12/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #99563 - 19/03/08 03:14 AM

Might I add before actually going back to work, one wonders about the Emperor's VIP Club of gunwriters who go on about how fine these tarted up Merkels are. Obviously, they feel that we, who are stupid enough to buy their books, will be possibly swayed away from those guns which are truly fine. I buy their books to have the photos of the old stuff--even then, it's plain that "gunwriting" must be the world's second oldest profession!

--------------------
bwanakim

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99565 - 19/03/08 03:55 AM

Quote:

Good God!

Apparently the owners of California Rigby are severely retarded.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #99567 - 19/03/08 04:08 AM

Wow!!! If that's worth $25,000 I am not charging enough. I can do stock work like that and I don't do stock work...because my stock work looks like that.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: What a Joke! [Re: DoubleD]
      #99568 - 19/03/08 04:17 AM

Nice piece of California English. Too bad they got their mits on it. Here's a similar piece of nice California English, with slightly better use, fit and finish.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #99569 - 19/03/08 04:20 AM

Quote:

Ok everyone knows that Rigby in California has ruined a good thing, however look at the finish work on this POS! Makes me so damn mad, perhaps I should buy the company and give it back to the Brits as a gift!

Sinner
Please, please buy it back - but keep it - at least you understand what a good / best gun is.

BTW, that gun is disgusting and I nearly spewed coffee all over the keyboard when I saw it.

Edited by 500Nitro (19/03/08 04:21 AM)

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
      #99575 - 19/03/08 04:59 AM

This is a classic example of when money means more than anything else. I have been telling my wife that greed was going to destroy this country. If this gun is any example, it is well on its way. Tragic!!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: Charles]
      #99577 - 19/03/08 05:16 AM

Does anyone remember quite a few years ago when California Rigby (spit) first started showing or putting Adverts in the
Double Gun Journal.

We laughed our heads off as the quality of the metalwork was crap, the metal to wood fit was bloody awful and they were sprouting in the advert about "Best guns".

Fuck it made me cry in the end.

Charles
Yes, I do agree that it shows the US at it's worst.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: What a Joke! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #99580 - 19/03/08 05:46 AM

PLEASE can someone post or PM me the picture? The internet police won't let me through to see it!

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #99581 - 19/03/08 05:50 AM

As per the other Poster, if that piece of crap is worth $25,000, then my RIGBY's (REAL ONES) have just gone up in price by $25,000.

And one of them is just an engraved Rigby Boxlock in 450NE
and it's still better than that.

I sometimes wonder if some people in the US missed out on the
"quality" gene whne they were born.

(No offence to US Citizensm I think you know what I am getting at).

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #99583 - 19/03/08 06:15 AM

with that work, i think baikal has a bright future. but they need to up the prices some.....

peter

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
Re: What a Joke! [Re: peter]
      #99584 - 19/03/08 06:21 AM

I'm actually happy they make rubbish.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: peter]
      #99586 - 19/03/08 06:58 AM

Quote:

with that work, i think baikal has a bright future. but they need to up the prices some.....

peter

Peter

Very good indeed.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: What a Joke! [Re: ArnoldB]
      #99589 - 19/03/08 07:16 AM

You know, I own a Merkel. But I know what it is, and I know why I bought it. It's a .500NE in the plain Jane model. I bought it as soon as I found out that Merkel was chambering their rifles in .500NE. It's serial No. 3 of the .500's. It's an entry level rifle, largely machine made, and certainly no best quality rifle by any stretch of the imagination. It makes no pretenses.

On the other hand, it shoots quite accurately and reliably. It carries very comfortably. It comes to the shoulder quite well. And it's fun as crap.

Three autumns ago I used it for all my deer hunting. One cold morning there was about 2" of powdery snow on the ground as I set into the woods with my Merkel .500 before dawn. Under the snow I stepped on a slick rock. In an instance I was down. Usually I can fall without involving a gun, as I instinctively protect it. This time the fall was two fast, and the rifle came down on the rock with a sharp "click". On the side of the left barrel I now have a small mark left by that rock. Had it been one of my "best" guns I would have nightmares over that fall. But the Merkel took it in stride, gaining some personality in the process.

Later that hunting season I had the good fortune to take a nice Virginia Whitetail doe with the Merkel .500. We all had a good laugh at the idea of using such a big gun on a little Whitetail.

There's a certain comfort in entry level guns. My Merkel cost a small fraction of what this California Rigby costs.

The problem with the "Mexican" Rigby's is that they aspire to be something they are not. They are pretentious. The owners of that company evidently prey on ignorance. Only the un-informed would buy that rifle thinking it has anything to do with the quality or the heritage it's name unfortunately implies. In the end, it's a Merkel with about the same appeal as my un-pretentious Mod. 140-2, yet many times the cost.

Curl

P.S. I edited my rant. It's a 140-2, not a 140-1. I can't keep such details in my feeble mind.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Edited by CptCurl (19/03/08 09:33 AM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: What a Joke! [Re: CptCurl]
      #99593 - 19/03/08 07:37 AM

Curl

Very well put.

FYI, I own 2 x Merkel's and 2 x Rigby's so I think
I am more than qualified to comment.

Re trading to the ignorant, I think that's why they
were orginally called Mexican Rigby's ?

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
      #99595 - 19/03/08 07:55 AM

I own some nice rifles, and I will agree that the metal finish is pathetic, but will someone please tell me all that is wrong with the stock finish. I am ignorant to some extent, but I did not think the stock finish was all that bad. Please explain, thanks.

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: What a Joke! [Re: bigdog]
      #99597 - 19/03/08 08:07 AM

The bottom line is that it is a lot of money for a poorly done DR. The current (if they are still in business) Rigbys are a pale shadow of what once was, and are or were built on actions bought from Merkel. I believe Danny at Merkel said they had sold a couple to Cal a while back, but he didn't recall if the were going to Rigby or another iteration.

I don't agree with all the rifle writer babble out there, but the comment that Merkel builds a fine boxlock for the $$ is accurate when stated by several of those writers. If you want a Mekel DR boxlock, why buy this 'ridden hard and put away wet' when you can get a Merkel new or like new for a WHOLE lot less. Hell, they have some ex-EWA guns floating around, including some sidelocks without the usual Germanic helium-inflated pigs engraved on them for far less as well. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (19/03/08 08:08 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #99598 - 19/03/08 08:15 AM

Terrible...
It will be interesting to see these guns go down in value while a nice vintage English gun for the same money will most certainly gain value.
The current owners have obviously "highjacked" the Rigby name - I know they own it, but it should be incumbent upon the stewards of the name to produce a gun equal to its heritage.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: What a Joke! [Re: Huvius]
      #99606 - 19/03/08 08:45 AM

It is truly a shame.

Dutch44
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/06
Loc: Missouri
      #99608 - 19/03/08 09:07 AM

I remember talking to Miller when he would relate to me how many renowned Italian engravers were currently working on his guns. I don't think that this is one of them. Does anyone remember which issue of DGJ had that glowing write up of the company? Is Miller still in control there?

Dutch

Just sittin' in the gutter sluggin' rats, Ma.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: What a Joke! [Re: Dutch44]
      #99612 - 19/03/08 09:19 AM

The engraving on this rifle isn't Italian, and it isn't of any quality.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

gunbug
.275 member

Reged: 14/01/05
Loc: british columbia
Re: What a Joke! [Re: DarylS]
      #99618 - 19/03/08 10:02 AM

I don't think there is a gun made that is worth $26,000. If i was buying a double i would get a Kriegoff with the combi cocking devise but you must have disposable income to pay that much for any gun.{ am i in trouble now?]

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: What a Joke! [Re: gunbug]
      #99621 - 19/03/08 10:38 AM

Quote:

I don't think there is a gun made that is worth $26,000. If i was buying a double i would get a Kriegoff with the combi cocking devise but you must have disposable income to pay that much for any gun.{ am i in trouble now?]

No, you simply committed the Sin of Use vs Lust. I'd pay -- and have paid -- $26,000 or, from time to time, even more for a rifle. (And the most was for a pristine Sharps with a full history, not a DR) But you are right that no rifle, including a DR is "worth" $26,000.

As far as paying $26,000 for a working DR, you can get a new and well built (ask George or JJ at Champlain) Chapuis boxlock in a 470 for abot half that brand new. You can get a Merkel in its plainest form in a 470 well under $10,00 and they will function reliably, are properly regulated (at least the one's I own or have owned) and you need not deal with the foibles of a used gun, no matter how well it has been maintained. Why pay $26,000 for a 'current' Rigby even new, when they are dolled up Merkel's at heart? Don't.

But if someone came up to you and said, "here is a nicely maintained and perfectly functionable Evans/WR/Lang etc (a 'tween wars British double) for $26,000 you would say no because you presumably want to shoot, not to collect. Many of us have and will pay more than $26,000 for a 'real' Rigby. That may make us a bit looney but it shouldn't get you 'in trouble.'

Different strokes, different folks. And no pockets in coffins. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (19/03/08 10:41 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 30328

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com