Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
gpsb
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/08
Loc: NJ
Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action
      #99490 - 18/03/08 04:20 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a new member at Nitroexpress and am looking forward to buying a hunting rifle in either a .30-06 or 300 win mag. I have narrowed down my choice to two rifles a Winchester Model 70 pre 64(.30-06) caliber or a mauser 98 action rifle. I would love to get feedback and suggestions in any specific collectible rifle you guys have in mind that I might be missing out. My Budget range is $ 500-$ 800. I also looked at Husqvarna rifles and they seem tempting too.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action [Re: gpsb]
      #99493 - 18/03/08 06:04 AM

A pre 64 will always be desireable. In addition to the collector aspect, they are study and accurate. Also a tad heavy, but I have had several and been very pleased. Then, you mention a 98 Mauser. Man, they make up into great guns also. I don't think any of the 3 you have mentioned are a bad choice. I am sure that someone will say that " such and such" are the sorriest guns ever made. I have been satisfied with all of the above. Enjoy the forum; there are some very knowledgeable people here .

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #99494 - 18/03/08 06:10 AM

First of all, welcome aboard. Your question is sure to spark a lively debate.

If you are talking about a Model 70 action versus a pre-War commercial or military action, then the Model 70 has some obvious advantages: all the preconditions for mounting a scope have already been addressed: pre drilled and tapped receiver, low bolt handle, and a three position cocking piece safety designed to accomodate a low mounted scope. The Model 70 came with an adjustable over-ride trigger system, which has proven itself to be rugged and functional for more than 70 years.

Also, the Model 70 magazine is designed to accomodate .30-'06 length cartridges without alteraton. The pre-War military or commercial Mauser has none of these features and is designed around cartridges of the 8X57 category, meaning that modification is needed to make a .30-'06 length cartridge function satisfactorily.

Altering the pre-War Mauser can be an expensive proposition.

Post War commercial Mausers are a different proposition altogether. The FN 98 Mauser commercial action, for example, came drilled and tapped for scope mounts and receiver sights, had a bolt handle which would accomodate the lowest of scope mountings and a safety which, albeit only two position, would also clear the same scope mounting. The trigger furnished with the rifle was not adjustable and was of the same design as that of the military rifle, but could easily be replaced with any of a number of commercially available triggers, both single stage and single set. Its magazine easily accomodates cartridges of the .30-'06 or .270 family without alteration.

If you are interested in more than a mere action, both the Model 70 and the FN Mauser sporter retailed by Browning, Sears and Montgomery Ward, among others, came with perfectly usable, albeit somewhat plain, stocks. Either of these rifles in .30-'06 can be altered to .300 Winchester Magnum at a modest price by opening the bolt face and rechambering the barrel.

The post-War Husqvarna commercial sporters fall into the same category as the FN product.

At this point, it comes down to a question of personal preference.

gpsb
.275 member

Re: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action [Re: xausa]
      #99500 - 18/03/08 08:50 AM

Thanks a lot Charles and XAUSA, very helpful information.

I certainly will have pre 64 model 70 to be in my collection whenever I strike a good deal. Now for Mauser action please suggest a manufacturer and gun model including Husqvarna or Mauser itself that is a collectible weapon in 30-06 caliber. Also please let me know what price range I should be looking for inorder to purchase the mauser action rifle. Thanks guys.

Woodbeef
.275 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Badlands of Alberta
      #99891 - 21/03/08 09:27 PM

Might be hard to find a nice pre-64 model 70 in your price range from the prices I've been seeing lately. Speaking of your price range,have you looked into the M77 Rugers? Or also the new Savages. I've been hearing good things about both of them. Just picked up a tang safety M77 myself in 300 Win Mag to covert to 300 H&H. It was sold as refinished,but it's not. Matter of fact it's never been shot.

gpsb
.275 member

Re: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action [Re: Woodbeef]
      #100059 - 23/03/08 01:22 PM

Hi Woodbeef, I did not look into Rugers or Savage rifles, but I will definitely look and see a few at the local gunshop personally now. Thanks

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #100099 - 24/03/08 01:21 AM

DONT LEAVE OUT THE CZ LINE FOR THE MONEY THEY ARE PRETTY SOUND.THE HUSQVARNA HAS A SLICK ACTION AND THE ONE I HAVE SHOOTS VERY WELL.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #100124 - 24/03/08 09:40 AM

Gikky,

Some very sound advice here from some highly experienced members.

I don't have many of the others' experience but I have never failed to be pleasantly surprised by how accurate the Savage rifles are and at a price well below that of all their competition. The CZs are also very nice and, of course, I know that you're a happy CZ customer already.

Could you speak to Brian? He has a large quantity of Charles Daly/Zastava actions that he is offering at a very low price if you want to go full custom. If I didn;t have a very nice 30-06 that I bought from him recently, I would buy one of these without fail.

Cheers!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

gpsb
.275 member

Re: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #100217 - 25/03/08 07:09 AM

Hi Mehul,

Charles Daly/Zastava action rifles that Brian is offering are all custom made? Also What is Brian's email address, so I can just email him and get a few pictures of the rifles that he has for sale. Thanks.

Gikki

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
      #101550 - 04/04/08 03:50 PM

I HAVE BEEN LUCKY I HAVE NOT HAD A 06 SHOOT OVER AN INCH AT 100,MAKE SURE ITS BEDDED PROPERLY,TRIGGER TO 3-3 1/2TUNED,I EVEN HAD MY REMINGTON PUMP SHOOT 1 OR BETTER WITH HAND LOADS,AND YOUR CHANCES OF FINDING A PRE 64 AT THAT PRICE IS RARE IF YOU DO DONT WAIT JUMP ON IT QUICK IT WONT BE THERE LONG.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

escard
.300 member

Reged: 24/01/07
Loc: austria-europe
Re: Mauser 98 or a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 action [Re: bwananelson]
      #101552 - 04/04/08 04:07 PM

I already own a 30-06 pre-64 featherweight in very good condition(made in 1959). I bought that rifle without a scope for 1.400 EUROs and fittet a used Kahles 6x42 onto the rifle. The rifle shoots very precisely and has an extremely fast barrel (though it wears a rather short barrel with 22"). It shoots my loads with 220 grs at a measured 2.485 fps and a specially made 241 grainer at 2.406 fps (much faster than a tested 24" steyr, a 24" sako and a 24" sauer!), whereas three shots of that two loads went under an inch at 100 yards regularely.
Itīs also clearly seen, that such a rifle in very good condition does not go over the counter at the charges you hope to get one.
You will have to settle at another model/maker (I think that it should be no problem to get a CZ or a Ruger for that charge)...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3438

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com