Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock
      #99453 - 17/03/08 11:51 AM

Well, the WR in 32-40 made it up here in time to go out to the range yesterday. If the fella who was describing it to me had just looked at the top of the lefthand bbl he would have seen the statement that it was "Chambered for 32-40 Cartridge" and I wouldn't have posted the question I put out here last week entitiled "Name that Cartridge".

Fortunately, he was more accurate on condition. The gun was in great condition, the engraving and bluing still nice and crisp, the wood very nice and with the exception of one mark on the side of the righthand bbl where is looks like it touched a fastener in the case (which I was told about in advance) no issues at all. Nice and tight lockup, bores are excellent, and the chambers free from any problems. The primers show a nice, even strike and no issues with any popping up or showing any issues that might indicate a problem in the chambers or facing.

Nicely regulated and acceptable spread at 50yds. A tad low, but given that the bullet weight was a bit heavier than what it was proofed for that should be expected. With handloading, it should be fine.

Shooting from a rest with a double is a refreshing change from popping off a couple rounds of 500NE from one of my doubles or a 470 out of one of my single shots. Lets you concentrate on checking regulation and the sights without trying to figure out what to factor in for shooting "off hand." (Our range does not have a standing rest, so I normally have to haul out to a friend's farm where we have one, as well as play "shoot the watermelon" at 2000 meters with a 408 CheyTac, but that's for a different forum.)

The ejectors worked like brand new, not even a hint of sticking and treated the brass fine so I can reload easily. I have a few rifles that do the same, but chew up the rims pulling the rounds out. This one worked textbook. Placed them all neatly behind me in about the same area too so clean up was five minutes to pick up two box loads.

All in all, a nice looking and great shooting light double. Very happy and a keeper for sure. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (17/03/08 11:53 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: dnovo]
      #99465 - 17/03/08 08:30 PM

Congratulations Dave!

Maybe you can find the time to post photos of this new toy on the Double Rifle Photo & Archive Forum.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: CptCurl]
      #99470 - 17/03/08 11:02 PM

Here's a couple until I can get some more. The case colors on the receiver are nearly all there, the flash on the closeups bleaching them out far more than it looks to the eye. Nice, distinct, and fairly original as far as I can tell. The wood and the checkering is quite good, which shows well in these photos, which also highlight the character and color of the wood. A damn decent blank to start with, and then very well executed by the gent at WR in the 1920s:

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (17/03/08 11:07 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99479 - 18/03/08 01:54 AM

Dave,

Do you know who did the restocking? The type of wood they used seems to be American walnut, and the checkering is not WR? A curious calibre for a WR as well. Hope you enjoy it looks like a cute little double.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: ]
      #99482 - 18/03/08 02:08 AM

I'm curious as to the intended purpose of a 32-40 double rifle. Anybody know? Take care, Tom

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#99483 - 18/03/08 02:08 AM

That's a sweet little rifle, Dave. What does it weigh?

Thanks for posting the photos.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: CptCurl]
      #99489 - 18/03/08 04:00 AM

Supposedly 7 lbs 14oz. My scales says 7 Lb 4 oz. It is a 'cute" gun and I am told not all that unusual for WR or several other British mfgs. Our friend from OZ says he has seen quite a few British doubles in this caliber. I saw a Ferlach gun from between the wars in this caliber and two others from Germany, also in the same period. Apparently used for what I call 'meat in the pot' or for hunting small (very small, as hardly a powerful cartridge) game. Keep in mind, the cost of 32-40 back then, when it was a plentiful and common American caliber, was a fraction of what Kynoch and others were charging for their fodder.

A nice gun and a nice shooter. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

#99491 - 18/03/08 04:51 AM

Yeah, a friend owned a John Dickson A&D boxlock in .32-40 many moons ago.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #99505 - 18/03/08 09:30 AM

What a sweet little double!

SXS
.224 member

Reged: 17/08/05
Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: 4seventy]
      #99536 - 18/03/08 11:06 PM

Sinner, I have seen WR boxlocks with the same type of checkering as this one. the wood figure is indeed typical for American walnut, but can be found in thin shell walnut as well. The amount of wear on the stocks seems to match the metal, so I don't think the rifle has been restocked. I might change my mind if I had the rifle in hand, however.

Westley Richards made quite a few of these small frame rifles, most of them a delight to carry, and shoot. I have one in .32 Winchester Special. It weighs 6# 3 oz, the same as a M 1894 carbine, and has a "pop-up" tang sight in the wrist with the safety set off to the left. The serial number has a "T" prefix.

All the best, SXS

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: SXS]
      #99564 - 19/03/08 03:53 AM

SXS no offense but the gun is stocked with the wrong wood, though stained using a red/brown, and the checkering is definitely not WR imo. According to the previous owner the gun had been restocked, it's really not difficult to tell if you know what your looking at, pictures do tell a lot, however, I have also handled this gun in my hands. As well, I have had a keen interest in WR for 30+ years of collecting, so I know a thing or two about the various grades. Here's an example of original WR checkering.

The little 32-40 is a fine double nonetheless.

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock *DELETED* [Re: ]
      #99576 - 19/03/08 05:13 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99578 - 19/03/08 05:30 AM

Quote:

deleted

Edited by NitroX

Dave,

I was mearly trying to help you, pointing out what I know of the gun. My sincerest apologies if it offended you in any way. As I said in my previous post I think its a neat gun, but it is what it is.

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock *DELETED* [Re: ]
      #99590 - 19/03/08 07:21 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (19/03/08 07:22 AM)

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock *DELETED* [Re: dnovo]
      #99591 - 19/03/08 07:26 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock *DELETED* [Re: dnovo]
      #99594 - 19/03/08 07:52 AM

Post deleted by NitroX

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Edited by dnovo (19/03/08 07:53 AM)

Dutch44
.275 member

Reged: 23/02/06
Loc: Missouri
      #99609 - 19/03/08 09:15 AM

I have several .32-40's in Ballard, Borchardt, and Hi-Wall form. They are a superb target and deer size game round. Truly a neat gun that will give great pleasure to shoot, not to mention economical. What is the twist rate? Nominally 1 in 16 to stabilize 165 to 185 grain projectiles. I opt for a 1 in 14 for a 210 to 215 projectile now. IMR or H4227, AA109 or H110 work great. I have a friend that uses 4759. However, I find that powder more satisfying for .38 to .45 calibers.

Dutch

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: Dutch44]
      #99650 - 19/03/08 02:34 PM

Hey Gentlemen,

Cool it.

Everyone has said it is a fine little rifle.

People have differing opinions from time to time and if without malice, it is something to debate, not argue over. If people want to argue, take it to PMs, NOT public posts.

The little double looks like a fine lightweight rifle to enjoy and for members to enjoy reading about and looking at.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: NitroX]
      #99663 - 19/03/08 07:30 PM

Well done NitroX ! Thank you !

dnovo
.333 member

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: Sarg]
      #99686 - 19/03/08 11:22 PM

Curls and I have been discussing our respective Merkel 323Es, both of which are in original condition in 'American' wood, even though they were both built within a year of each other in what was then the DDR. How did the wood get there? The answer is quite simple, wood from varying places around the world found its way into Germany, France, England, etc. to be used by whomever needed something for a rifle built to order or even for a short series.

For example, Sharps found the available wood here in the US not to its needs and stocked many of its 1874 model target rifles from blanks imported from England, including one in my collection. The 1877 Long Range was stocked in English wood.

The 'moral of the story' is that it is impossible to look and a photo of a rifle and decide whether it was restocked from the type or appearance of the wood. Ditto as to checkering pattern (in most cases) as that too can vary. Even a casual visible inspection is not definitive, other than if you see the most obvious signs of restock. I watch a professional go carefully over many a rifle (DR and otherwise) and look for the 'paper trail' of the original stocker. I defer to their opinion and enjoy watching them work. Most recently, I saw a very careful review of what a dealer thought was a restocked Sedgley. An older smith, who had worked on several others, carefully disassembled the rifle and identified the original stocker by small details that I had trouble following until he showed me what he was looking for.

So, we can opine, but certainty requires a first hand inspection by someone who knows what he is doing. As for me, I recognize the admonition of Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations." I reserve my expertise for Sharps and vintage port. (By the way, if you like tawny, I just had a case of 50 Year Old Tawny given to me by a client from OZ. Good stuff. One of the lesser-known exports from you folks, good port at good prices.) Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #99691 - 20/03/08 12:23 AM

WESTLEY RICHARDS .30-06 (RIMLESS) BOXLOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 18117, 23 1/4in. nitro chopperlump barrels (possible replacements) with matt sight rib, open sights and leaf sights for 100, 200 and 300 yards, ramp-mounted bead foresight, rib engraved 'WESTLEY RICHARDS & CO. ENGLAND, tubes engraved 'CALIBRE .30/06 REGULATED FOR 220 GRAIN BULLET', the breech-end mounted with a Zeiss Diavari-Z 1,5...6x42 telescopic sight in quickly-detachable mounts, treble-grip action with Westley Richards patent toplever, bolted automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' and 'BOLTED' details, fences deeply carved in relief with ornate floral motifs, striker discs, hinged floorplate, best bold acanthus scroll engraving, the floorplate with an Ibex, the triggerguard with a leopard, retaining traces of original colour-hardening and finish, 14 5/8in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with chequered side-panels, raised comb cheekpiece, engraved steel pistolgrip-cap (with trap containing a spare striker), sling swivels and including 7/8in. rubber recoil pad, Deeley & Edge patent fore-end release catch, weight 10lb. 12oz.
Estimate £6,000-8,000

here is another with the fine checkering. they look like fun guns..

best regards

peter

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Range Report: WR 32-40 Boxlock [Re: NitroX]
      #99697 - 20/03/08 02:08 AM

Thank you NitroX!!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5821

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com