Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore?
      #99381 - 17/03/08 12:30 AM

I got a Winchester model 69A target model in 22 lr and with the original Lyman aperture sights from an estate recently. The rifle is in good shape though there is a tiny patch of rust on the magazine which I could take off with some sandpaper. I already have a nice and cheap but very accurate Marlin model 60 in 22 lr and I am wondering if I should rebarrel the Winchester to 17 HM2 or keep the same barrel etc and just get the rifle reblued and the stock refinished. Some friends have been telling me that the target model is somewhat rare and that I should not alter anything on it but I saw two regular models (not target) on sale at Cabelas, so these things can't be all that rare.

I would appreciate any advice on this from experienced members here. Thanks in advance and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #99386 - 17/03/08 12:41 AM

I think that you should go to rimfirecentral.com They were very helpfull when I obtained three vintage .22 winchesters recently. One a 69A. The target models from what I read are highly saught after in their origional condition.

I nearly made a mistake as I got a Mod 56 S-L-LR which to me in the UK was just a truck gun but turns out there were only 8000 made from 1927-29 and make 1000-1500 $ and a 1940's Mod 62.

Check with them first.

Regards

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore? [Re: Bramble]
      #99392 - 17/03/08 02:28 AM

Mehul, if it were mine, I would not change it over. 17M2 rifles are not that rare, and any good .22 with a box mag could be converted, so I would save the M-69A.
But that's just me.........

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore? [Re: szihn]
      #99398 - 17/03/08 04:33 AM

Never use sand paper to remove rust, unless you are going to do some heavy duty polishing and rebluing.

For rust on that magazine use WD40 and 0000 steel wool. Yes WD40 it's a great solvent, rust killer and cutting compound. It isn't a good preservative. So be sure and use a good oil on the magazine after cleaning and killing and killing the rust.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #99402 - 17/03/08 05:19 AM

I would keep it as is---as previously stated you can get a 17 HMR anytime--the gun you have is a little jewel--IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Should I rebarrel to 17 HM2 or restore? [Re: Bramble]
      #99488 - 18/03/08 03:56 AM

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your opinions. I was certain that I would get good advice from members with vastly more experience than I could ever hope to have and this has come true.

Bramble,

Thanks for the tip. I shall register on Rimfire Central today though I am not going to alter the rifle.

Steve,

Thanks, my friend. I shall buy a new HM2 rifle. Gander Mountain usually has heavy discounts at this time of the year and I hope to find something there. The 69A will be slowly restored.

Double D,

Thank you very much for the tip. I am now thinking of getting the rifle reblued and refinished professionally instead of ending up mangling it myself.

Ripp,

Thanks for the endorsement suggesting that I preserve the rifle. I shall have her restored and keep her. I am lucky to have got her for a song. Hopefully, she would see more regular use in the future.

Good hunting, everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1707

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com