Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 8 bore vs wild boar

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
8 bore vs wild boar
      #99154 - 13/03/08 09:51 PM

Here's a link to a picture of a pig I killed this past Saturday with that Steve Zihn 8 bore in the avatar. the range was about 20 yards, the ball went in the left shoulder and out the right ribs, he ran about 40 yards and piled up. Great fun!!!

http://carolinabucks.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/820bore20vs20wild20boar200011.7174505.JPG

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: degoins]
      #99159 - 13/03/08 11:42 PM

Great job degoins!

Really beautiful AND interesting gun!!

And a great reality check for those who think that a wellplaced huge bullet is a guarantee of an instant drop.

BTW: What was your load? Have you chronographed it?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

degoins
.333 member

Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: 9.3x57]
      #99173 - 14/03/08 02:41 AM

Thanks 9.

The load was 150 grains of Triple 7 with an .805 ball of pure lead at approx 825 grs. I havent chronographed it yet. The rifle came with a powder measure that it was regulated with using FF Goex. I havent been able to get my hands on any real black around here so I'm using Triple 7, the measure holds a little over 200 grs of this, but it hit way high and to the right so I kept dropping the charge until it was shooting to the sights. The actual load that this pig was killed with was reduced even more because I had shot a much smaller pig about 20 minutes before this one showed up and when I opened the film cannister that I had my "speedload" in, some powder went flying out!!!!

degoins
.333 member

#99175 - 14/03/08 02:45 AM

Oh, Steve said that the real B/P load chronographed at 1600 fps plus.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #99177 - 14/03/08 02:52 AM

That little piggy went to market.....................

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
      #99178 - 14/03/08 03:08 AM

Triple 7 is such an outstanding powder for percussion guns that I won't even load black powder in mine anymore. It has the same non-corrosive, but hydroscopic properties as black powder. If used with T/C 1000+ Bore Butter, a rifle can be kept rust free with almost no effort. After shooting mine I swab the bore with one patch slightly dampened with cold tap water, followed by one dry patch. I unnecessarily repeat the wet/dry patches, then swab the bore with one patch having Bore Butter on it, and put the gun away. The gun can then sit for any length of time, and there will be no trace of rust in the bore. Accuracy with Hodgdon 777 and Bore Butter is as good or better than any black powder, and better than most.

Unfortunately, being harder to ignite, it doesn't work well in flintlocks unless a priming charge of black powder is used. As this defeats the advantages of the Triple 7, I continue to use black powder in my flintlocks. This is one reason I don't shoot the flintlocks as often; it's such a pain to clean them. Take care, Tom

degoins
.333 member

Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: Tatume]
      #99179 - 14/03/08 03:13 AM

Tom,
that's exactly the combo I use........out of sheer luck.......that's all I could get around here and it has worked just fine for me so far.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #99383 - 17/03/08 12:33 AM

Degoins,

That is one beautiful rifle and a lovely trophy that you harvested with it. Here's wishing you the best of luck in getting many more fine trophies with that masterpiece of a rifle!

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #99411 - 17/03/08 06:45 AM

Do anione know why I can not see the picture?
Thanks
Martin

degoins
.333 member

Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: beleg2]
      #99468 - 17/03/08 08:49 PM

Thanks mehule!!!

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: Tatume]
      #104294 - 05/05/08 09:09 AM

Quote:

Triple 7 is such an outstanding powder for percussion guns that I won't even load black powder in mine anymore. It has the same non-corrosive, but hydroscopic properties as black powder. If used with T/C 1000+ Bore Butter, a rifle can be kept rust free with almost no effort. After shooting mine I swab the bore with one patch slightly dampened with cold tap water, followed by one dry patch. I unnecessarily repeat the wet/dry patches, then swab the bore with one patch having Bore Butter on it, and put the gun away. The gun can then sit for any length of time, and there will be no trace of rust in the bore. Accuracy with Hodgdon 777 and Bore Butter is as good or better than any black powder, and better than most.

Unfortunately, being harder to ignite, it doesn't work well in flintlocks unless a priming charge of black powder is used. As this defeats the advantages of the Triple 7, I continue to use black powder in my flintlocks. This is one reason I don't shoot the flintlocks as often; it's such a pain to clean them. Take care, Tom

I have no experience with T7. However, having used Pyrodex (T7's older brother) in "company guns" and have examined a lot of guns used with Pyrodex I can assure you I don't use either in anything I own. Nor would I buy anything used with them.

If you use this stuff a lot look at the bore at the muzzle carefully under magnification. If you don't find micro pits I would be VERY surprised. But most people don't notice them or know what they are until large enough to be a real problem.
When I worked for a maker of repros we sometimes had new rifles come back in a couple of weeks because of "bad bores" and the cause was always P-dex pitting. It will ruin a barrel overnight with the right conditions. Testing by a friend indicates T7 is about 1/2 way between P-dex and black for fouling aggressiveness.
The active ingredient can pit bores without showing any rust BTW. It can also pit steel under an oil film. Products like Hoppes turn the fouling super corrosive.

Dan

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: 8 bore vs wild boar [Re: Dphariss]
      #104330 - 05/05/08 10:17 PM

Quote:

Triple 7 is such an outstanding powder for percussion guns that I won't even load black powder in mine anymore. It has the same non-corrosive, but hydroscopic properties as black powder.

Quote:

I have no experience with T7. However, having used Pyrodex (T7's older brother) in "company guns" and have examined a lot of guns used with Pyrodex I can assure you I don't use either in anything I own.

I stand by my statement, based on actual experience with Triple 7. It is not Pyrodex.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4612

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com