Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
.22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting...
      #93224 - 02/01/08 02:53 PM

Just read an article about a caliber we probably all own and have shot more than any other..the 22 rimfire--born in 1857 --the 22 caliber short was born with the long version coming onto the scene in 1871 and the long rifle introduced by J.Stevens Arms in 1887.

Interesting in that the article stated over 3 BILLION rounds are sold annually in the US...this is compared to a total 500 million centerfire rounds..TOTAL... seems as though it is still and will continue to be a very popular round..from a price standpoint as well as versatility...

I wish I had a buck for every round I have shot at gophers, rabbits, etc in the past 40 plus years.. however the memories are probably worth more than that..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gmsemel
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: East Haddam, CT
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: Ripp]
      #93409 - 04/01/08 01:44 PM

The 22 Rimfire is not going to go away anytime soon. We Americans shoot a lot of it, I know I do. I average two to three bricks a month. For those of you in Rio Linda a Brick of 22's is 500 shots. I like shooting golf balls off hand. Its good training for big game hunting, since we can't go to the dump like when we were kids and shoot rats. That and Grey Squirrels keeps the eye and trigger finger in shape. Sometimes just going out with some pistol's and empty soda cans is a great way to spend a afternoon. They write about the Joy of Sex, but never the Joy of the 22RF. And now that Blaser makes a 22 RF Barrel for the 93 I am a real happy camper.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #93420 - 04/01/08 02:15 PM

Ripp,

A fantastic post that brings back some of my fondest memories. I have had a few over the years including a Walther KKJ, a Brno Model 1 and a no-name single shot with a breech block that swings sideways to load directly into the barrel, which belonged to my closest friend and is with another friend in India on the condition that it would only be given to one of us if it ever leaves his hands.

In Chicago I have a Marlin Model 60 which shoots far better than the $ 100 that my wife paid for it brand new when she bought it at a discount sale in Wisconsin three years ago and a Winchester 69A target model with a Lyman aperture sight that I want to restore. Whenever I visit a good friend's place in Southern Illinois, we end up shooting blocks of wood on one of the three ponds on his property along with his little children and it is the best thing that I get to do. Nothing is more fun.

George,

Good to see you here. Hope all is well and do post whenever you find time.

We're still waiting for you to come to Chicago and have dinner with us.

Good hunting and thanks for a lovely post, gentlemen!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #93421 - 04/01/08 02:38 PM

Ya know, as I custom gunsmith, I have often said that the 22 LR is under rated.
It seems that most men will spend more money on a custom centerfire than they will on a 22 and yet they carry and shoot the 22 MUCH more than they do the centerfire.
Does that seem backwards to anyone else but me?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: szihn]
      #93437 - 04/01/08 06:01 PM

I started with a .22 rimfire single shot open sighted Lithgow rifle. Cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and I probably did the best shooting with it I have ever done.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: szihn]
      #93455 - 04/01/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

Ya know, as I custom gunsmith, I have often said that the 22 LR is under rated.
It seems that most men will spend more money on a custom centerfire than they will on a 22 and yet they carry and shoot the 22 MUCH more than they do the centerfire.
Does that seem backwards to anyone else but me?

I used to be similar until I picked up a Anshutz--shoots like a house of fire..so I picked up another in 17HMR and another with the Weatherby name on it in 22 as well--have not even shot that one yet..

Agree with the another post, in that the .22 is excellent for off hand practice--I practice shooting off hand several times per week for a couple months before I go on a "major" hunt of any kind...seems to really help...plus it is so much fun it does not seem like "something you have to do" attitude...

Just orderd a new target I saw advertised using a stretch type rope with holders on it for holding clay pigeons... you can string it up between trees and shoot them off of the holders--again..for off hand practice that should work great..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #98702 - 08/03/08 12:19 PM

The $100 Marlin story Mehul Kamdar posted reminded me of an incident from my youth.
One day, a long, thin box arrived addressed to my father - this was about 1980.
Inside was a Marlin lever action with a hand written note and a $100 bill around the barrel.
It was from an old childhood friend of my father's whom had "borrowed" the Marlin. It was around 1950 when my dad had lent the rifle to his buddy and over the passing years he had forgotten all about it.
The rifle itself was, and still is, in near perfect condition - obviously well cared for.
Just a little example of "better late than never". I had never seen my father so excited - like a little kid on Christmas. Must have felt like the day it was given to him all over again.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (08/03/08 12:21 PM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: Huvius]
      #98703 - 08/03/08 12:34 PM

Best pistol cartridge ever made.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: .22 Rimfire--150 years old and counting... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #99364 - 16/03/08 10:54 PM

Quote:

Best pistol cartridge ever made.

I will second that!!!!

One can't have too many .22 rimfire pistols. I love them.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #99373 - 17/03/08 12:07 AM

When I was a kid I was given a Remington .22,the one with a synthetic stock and a tube where the bullets went in.It was a lever action and I don't think they make it any more.Spent numerous hours with it shooting crows,eagles,pigeons etc.Next .22 was an HK semi auto.Had a terrific time with these weapons.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2544

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com