Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Best rifle for culling baby bunnies.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Best rifle for culling baby bunnies. [Re: unspellable]
      #98376 - 05/03/08 06:12 AM

I once witnessed a ground hog make it back to his hole after getting hit three times with GI .45 ACP loads out of a M1911 Colt. I also went to pick up one I had gut shot with a .220 Swift (he was lying down at 250 yards) and found his innards stretched across the five feet to his hole, but he himself was nowhere to be found. They are truly tough animals.

At the other extreme, I once shot one with my .17 Hornet. He was lying dead next to the hole, without an apparent scratch on him. After examining him thoroughly, my shooting partner called my attention to the fact that one of his front teeth was broken off. Sure enough, the 25 grain bullet had hit the tooth, gone into the mouth and penetrated the skull and brain cavity. I wish I could claim credit for aiming at his open mouth, but I can't.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Best rifle for culling baby bunnies. [Re: unspellable]
      #98393 - 05/03/08 10:29 AM

Bolt action Savage .22 with a suppressor on the end of the bull barrel. Aguila 60-gr. subsonic ammo. Makes a sound like a handclap. I shoot from the living room and my wife in the kitchen (20-25 feet) cannot hear it.

Either that rifle or my Ruger .458 Lott. Depends a lot on the size of the bunny's tusks. I've got a mounted set that go 43 & 47 lb. That was for the giant gray Botswana bunny and required a Searcy .577 underlever.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5249

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com