Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need some project advice (Big pics warning)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
Need some project advice (Big pics warning)
      #98092 - 02/03/08 08:12 AM

A while ago I bought a Kar 98 Mauser with the intent of having a project rifle to learn on, its a 30.06, I need some advise as to if I'm starting off with a decent starter rifle to work on or if I should just keep it as a "behind the seat of the truck beater", and look for something else, heres what I had in mind:

Someone in its previous ownership sporterized it, and they did a butcher job of grinding away some metal to clear the bolt handle, I'd like to clean that up so it looks better (pics to follow), what should I use? A dremel? some metal files and a finishing stone of some sort?

I'm considering changing the caliber, I'd really really like a .416 Taylor, can that be build on this gun?

I'd like to change up the bottom metal to easier facilitate the dumping of cartridges, the stock "poke it with a shell" doesn't do it for me.

I'd like to change up the bolt handle, I wouldn't be preforming this job, and of course everything would be checked by a gunsmith before I did anything.

The stock has lots of bumps and minor marks (though it actually pretty decent) I want to strip it down, iron out the little marks, and refinish it, or have a good stock guy make me up a new one, depending on how this works out.

So I guess I'm asking, can it be made into a 416 Taylor, is the metal ground out not worth the hassle (can I make it look good enough to show it to friends?) and what are my options for bottom metal?

Thanks guys!

-Trev

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Need some project advice (Big pics warning) [Re: tkv000]
      #98096 - 02/03/08 09:25 AM

IMHO I would not spend a penny on it.
If it shoots and you want/need a truck gun then keep it for that. They appear to have ground out part of the RH rail and the safety notch behind the bolt handle. Personaly I would pull the barrel, strip out the bolt and trigger, keep the stock and pitch the action in a river.

Good origional K98/GEW 98 actions are not expensive. If K98 then try to get a pre '38 as wartime production compromises effected quality.

A 416 Taylor can certainly be built on a 98 action, but not that one I would suggest.

Sorry to be so frank, but that is how I see it. You could buy a brand new BRNO for a fraction of what it would cost to refurbish that to near the same standard.

Regards

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Need some project advice (Big pics warning) [Re: Bramble]
      #98100 - 02/03/08 11:22 AM

Exactly why I asked, and I appreciate the honest opinion. I think I'll look for a Brno at the upcoming Calgary gun show (largest in Canada I think) Should I look for a ZKK 602? What about the Argentine mausers? people seem to favor those for project guns?

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

Bramble
.375 member

#98104 - 02/03/08 12:14 PM

1909 Argentines are standard length actions reconed to be well finished and fitted. They should have a hinged floorplate which answers one of your criteria.
Because they are desirable they often command a higher price.
I think that they became popular in the US as in the 60's there were a lot of surpluss ones coming onto the market.
If you are going to scope the rifle then a safety conversion is going to spring you about $400.00 fitted before you do anything else.

Personaly for a shooter that is a joy to look at I would go with the BRNO, strip and polish the action internals. Then file, flat and polish the action to remove the BRNO markings and have a real nice rust blue job done at the same time replacing the rear sight with a nicer express sight. Personaly I would replace the bolt handle with a buterknife (but that is just personal preference.
Get a nice pre inlet semi fancy stock for $ 300.00 and spend the time doing a nice fit and sanding job and then give it to a pro for the checkering and finish.

I am not sure of the price of BRNO's where you are but that lot could get you a real joy of a rifle for $ 1500.00 if you do the time consuming hand work yourself.

I can buy used Magnum cal BRNO's here for £ 250.00 or so. Most are hardley used as folks buy them and frighten themselves to death for 20 rounds and then sell them. One of those would be my choice.
You can get them in .416 Rigby which gives you your caliber with less hassle then getting wildcat ammo if you travel to Africa.

Regards

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #98114 - 02/03/08 01:37 PM

Trev - go to www.tradeexcanada.com and buy a 98 mauser Husky 9.3x62. Then, either keep it as a 9.3, or pull the barrel and rebarrel that.
; Keeping it as a 9.3x62 is a good think. You can get an excellent rifle for Africa for a mere $340.00. Seems to me 5989 was a nice stock and excellent barrel, etc. Spend the rest of the $1,000 bill on ammo and components and shoot it a lot.
; The .416 Taylor is an excellent round for heavy game the world over. It will do 2,400fps with normal loads for the case and rifle. A .416 could easily be built on a cheaper gun from tradex due to lousey barrel and/or stock. They also have some barreled actions. If you were able to do this work yourself, I'd say go for it - otherwise, buy the 9.3x62 and be happy.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Need some project advice (Big pics warning) [Re: DarylS]
      #98117 - 02/03/08 01:59 PM

Hell they are a great deal.

Wish I could get some here.

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Need some project advice (Big pics warning) [Re: DarylS]
      #98118 - 02/03/08 02:42 PM

I bought my engraved Brno 375 H&H from Mark at tradex (private sale, one of his personal rifles) and I have a 458 Lott Winchester Mod 70 on its way, purchased from a fellow gunnutz guy, theres just something about the 416 Taylor that intrigues me, not sure what it is, but its on my must have list. I also have an idea of the stock shape that I would like, guess I just want a more personal rifle, that I can have a hand in, even if its just picking the sights and wood, I don't care if I have to have it built, I'd just like to learn some of the trade. I really like the Brno ZKK 602's, so I'll keep an eye out for one of those at the gunshow, if that doesn't materialize perhaps I'll buy a new CZ 550 and have it rebarreled, but that doesn't help with getting the stock shape I want (pictured below) and a nice stick of wood (though a guy on this forum posted a pick of his new safari classic and its spectacular.

Thats the shape and grade of wood I want. Not sure what that style of cheek piece is called, its sort of like the weatherby mark V, which I've always liked.

Is the Husky a "commercial mauser"? I've heard the term being used, but I'm not sure what that means, and I couldn't find much info on them online.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com