Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1920s' Holland & Holland questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
abosely
.275 member

Reged: 23/03/07
Loc: Big Island Hawaii US
1920s' Holland & Holland questions
      #96905 - 17/02/08 05:05 AM

On the 1920s' Holland & Holland rifles.Did H&H use Ebony or Buffalo Horn for fore end tips
more commonly? I understand Jeffery used Buffalo Horn a lot.

Also what barrel length was more common on the H&H rifles 25" or 26"?

Anyone have any pictures or know where I can find some?

Allen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 1920s' Holland & Holland questions [Re: abosely]
      #96923 - 17/02/08 09:26 AM

Holland & Holland did not have a predominence for their choices regarding Indian buffalo Horn or ebony on forearm tip. Their guns were truly "custom made" for the enquiring gentleman for that period of time as they are today. Barrellength too was a bespoke option.
I am sure H&H advised their customers to some point on what was sencesible, to ensure that the sportsman would be fully satified with his weapon.....and with their name engraved upon it
When said all this though.... of the majority of H&H boltaction and singleguns I have seen with Indian Horn has been small bore guns. Indian Horn seem to crack if too much strain is put on them...but that does not relate to a period of time but rather to nature of caliber...

Edited by rigbymauser (17/02/08 09:34 AM)

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: 1920s' Holland & Holland questions [Re: rigbymauser]
      #97374 - 23/02/08 10:58 PM

As RM stated above, most of these were bespoke guns so it was whatever the customer desired. With that said, most, if not all magazine rifles I've seen of that period had horn forend caps if they had one at all. Its not uncommon to see a Holland of that period with no forend cap. H&H rifles, both magazine and double, seem to predominately have 25 inch barrels. There are exceptions but that appears to have been the Holland standard. HTH!

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: 1920s' Holland & Holland questions [Re: A10ACN]
      #100047 - 23/03/08 10:36 AM

ebony was not used until the 50,s mostly on american makers when horn was scarce or illegal .most of the H&H rifles i have seen did not have horn tips , as westley richards almost always has horn ,ive never seen an early rigby with horn either,JEFFERY did use it more often than H&H , but you were more apt to see a horn butt on H&H rifle than a tip. if you check some sights right now cabelas might be the only H&H for sale with a horn or ebony tip its a 375. horn is much more common on early american custom makers,G&H, HOFFMAN,NEIDNER,DUBIEL,SHELHAMER etc.....paul

starwars
.275 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: California
Re: 1920s' Holland & Holland questions [Re: abosely]
      #101368 - 03/04/08 12:39 PM

From my own experience they used both equally. Remember they are a bespoke gun, the client could have requested anything.

--------------------
Richard

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2337

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com