Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Boddington On Buffalo 2

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Boddington On Buffalo 2
      #96832 - 16/02/08 07:32 AM

For all of you who have hunted Cape Buffalo, or plan to in the future, I highly recommend this video. I recently purchased this two DVD set, and found it to be what IMHO is the best Cape Buffalo hunting video I've seen. Great hunting scenes, no induced charges, and excellent conversations with some well known professional hunters permiate this video. The videos run for four hours, and I promise you won't be bored. I really learned a lot from watching this video set.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #96848 - 16/02/08 10:24 AM

What---no induced charges...what kind of video is this??

What a concept...ethics involved in hunting ...

I too have this set and it is awesome..and as stated very informative..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: Ripp]
      #96866 - 16/02/08 05:35 PM

I have 1 & 2 and agree that they're great productions..... but I do have to say, I was very suprised to see how they approached downed Buffalo. There's not a single occasion that I can remember, when anyone approaches the animal from behind and checks for reaction and in most cases, they stood in front of the animal and shook hands/slapped backs etc before checking for eye reaction etc. - That's not how I like to do it. Both for ethical and safety reasons.

Of course, in all fairness, it could well be that they did do those approaches and checks etc, but just chose not to put them in the videos.

I liked everything else about it though.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (16/02/08 06:07 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: shakari]
      #96868 - 16/02/08 05:45 PM

Great DVD, but two of the charges look set up. The Bull and cow look like they receive high lung shots by the same hunter on purpose.
Could be wrong though.
The PH is the reputable Ivan Cater who stands down the Ele in the beginning of the DVD.

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: ozhunter]
      #96869 - 16/02/08 06:06 PM

I'd bet they weren't set up. I've never met Ivan in person, but he has an excellent reputation in the industry as an ethical and good PH - and as for Craig,although I don't know him well enough to call a friend, I have met him a few times and would say that he's also an extremely ethical hunter.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: shakari]
      #96901 - 17/02/08 04:21 AM

Never hunted buffalo yet, hope to in a few years. But when we guided and shot a grizzly, we put another insurance shot in him, then sit down and throw rocks at him for a few minutes to make sure he was really really dead ... lol

Just a scaredy cat I guess ...

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: chuck375]
      #96906 - 17/02/08 05:10 AM

Is there less product placement in BOB2 compared to his first one? I felt like 2/3 of the first one was an extended commercial, which left me zapping thru a lot of it with the fast forward button...

Erik

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: EricD]
      #96909 - 17/02/08 06:09 AM

Quote:

Is there less product placement in BOB2 compared to his first one? I felt like 2/3 of the first one was an extended commercial, which left me zapping thru a lot of it with the fast forward button...

Erik

Erik, I agree with you. The first video on Buffalo was almost like 2 hour infomercial. BOB2 is nothing like it. Of course, he does take a few minutes at the beginning of BOB2 to mention his numerous sponsors. It's no way near as anoying as the first video was, though.

Edited by mikeh416Rigby (17/02/08 06:13 AM)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#96957 - 18/02/08 02:50 AM

One thing I noticed, which is an area of concern, was the disregard for gun safety on the part of several client/hunters. Many times the clients had their rifle pointed at the back or back of the legs of those in front of him.

SilentT
.224 member

Reged: 24/02/08
Loc: Kansas City, MO
      #98580 - 07/03/08 09:18 AM

I have just finished volume 1 and enjoyed it. I didn't think it was that "commercial". Is vol. 2 worth buying soon?

--------------------
"Really honey, One trip to Africa will be enough.......".

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: SilentT]
      #98584 - 07/03/08 11:14 AM

Quote:

I have just finished volume 1 and enjoyed it. I didn't think it was that "commercial". Is vol. 2 worth buying soon?

Go for it, my friend. It's even better than the first. You'll love it.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #98625 - 07/03/08 10:37 PM

Good to know - thanks

starwars
.275 member

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: California
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #101369 - 03/04/08 12:41 PM

I found this video to be done really well. Craig does a lot of promo though.

--------------------
Richard

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: starwars]
      #103044 - 21/04/08 01:45 PM

I havent seen number 2 yet, but I admire the Pater Capstick philosophy: "Pay the insurance", "It's the dead ones that get up and kill ya". Hell, why not, more is better isnt it...

--------------------
One day at a time...

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: bigmaxx]
      #103080 - 21/04/08 10:29 PM

Quote:

I havent seen number 2 yet, but I admire the Pater Capstick philosophy: "Pay the insurance", "It's the dead ones that get up and kill ya". Hell, why not, more is better isnt it...

Agree totally..the first buff I ever shot had been shot good with a 416..4 times--two broadside and 2 solids run up the south end of a north running buffalo--he dropped and layed flat--when we were about 10 feet away the damn thing jumped to its front feet attempting to get up again..another 416 in the spine ended it..but agree totally---insurance shots are a must...

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #131071 - 01/04/09 12:51 PM

I have no experience with Buffalo.

I've just watched this double DVD and was amazed at how many Buffalo got shot by the PH as well. Very few went down to one shot, even the ones with 'a well placed shot' by the client. One buff just about got shot for the client.

Is this common: Client shoots and a split second later the PH puts in a couple more ?

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: tophet1]
      #131239 - 02/04/09 11:59 PM

possible they judged it a poor shot or just wanted a little extra drama and action for the camera.
i've been told clients sometimes ask the PH to back up their shot. some of the pro's on this sight can probably comment more accurately on that.
haven't seen the video so speculating.
personally never had any PH do ANY shooting, 4 ele. hunts and 3 buffalo, 3 different PH's. which doesn't make me an expert by any stretch of the imagination!
i've never had a video camera along on any of my hunts, but it sure seems like there's much more talking, shooting and interaction between the parties involved. and rightly so, they need to get the viewer involved and keep it exciting.
not my thing but to each his own.

Ripp
.577 member

#131241 - 03/04/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

I have no experience with Buffalo.

I've just watched this double DVD and was amazed at how many Buffalo got shot by the PH as well. Very few went down to one shot, even the ones with 'a well placed shot' by the client. One buff just about got shot for the client.

Is this common: Client shoots and a split second later the PH puts in a couple more ?

Have NEVER had a PH shoot at an animal I have shot--and agree, I have watched this video and my comment was "what the hell"...as you are correct...the PH seems to be quite quick on the trigger in shooting the animal for the client..

The only thing I can come up with watching that is the PH's never had a discussion on this with the client prior to the hunt and the PH did NOT have much confidence in his client..

One of the first buff's I shot--- put 6 shots into him total..first shot was a good hit--he ran a bit and stopped-put another into his lung area..two more solids up his rear as he ran away..one after he fell...he tried to get back up as we approached so one more to finish him off..--few days later, shot a bigger buffalo and he tipped over with one shot--paid the insurance and that was that...my point being--no shots were fired by my PH...

thx

Ripp

--------------------

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #131245 - 03/04/09 12:57 AM

It may have all been pre-arranged theatrics for the production of the video. A little bit of grand-standing on the part of the PH. I agree with what has been said and would place that PH on my "do not call" list!

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #131247 - 03/04/09 01:17 AM

Well, I hope to be hunting some big nasty stuff in Sept and my message to my PH will be simple,
"my friend, you are the pro, I am an amateur; after I have shot him, if he doesn't go down and starts to disappear and you have even 1% doubt please feel free to whack him again" rgds, Mike

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#131252 - 03/04/09 02:18 AM

Quote:

One of the first buff's I shot--- put 6 shots into him total..first shot was a good hit--he ran a bit and stopped-put another into his lung area..two more solids up his rear as he ran away..one after he fell...he tried to get back up as we approached so one more to finish him off..-.

Ripp - I haven't seen the video, but my guess is that they wanted to try and avoid the scenario you present. Its a pity, because what you describe is completely normal - I am not criticising in any way. I guess they felt that it might not look so great on a tv show? Its a quirk of nature that some buffalo fall over and some don't even with perfect shot placement. Unfortunately you can't adequately explain to an anti-hunter on a tv show that a buffalo that has no heart and a couple of .40+ size hole through its lungs is technically dead but hasn't yet realised it !

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #131255 - 03/04/09 02:25 AM

Actually, the more I read Boddington of late, the more I get the impression that he regards hunting as a team sport. Perhaps that has something to do with it as well? I know its to do with the special 'mate's rates' that he gets for the hunt but honestly alot of his stuff these days seems to be more about the outfit than the quarry or the hunt. Rant over!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #131323 - 03/04/09 01:35 PM

Quote:

Same thing on the first Boddington Buffalo DVD. The PH shoots every buffalo as well immediately afterwards. PH was Gibson? I believe he thinks it is so the buffalo does not have a chance to escape and it was his "policy" or something like that. Personally I would not use a PH with this sort of idea.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: NitroX]
      #131338 - 03/04/09 05:40 PM

It wasn't Ian's policy on the hunt's I did with him.
If he did it might have saved loosing a Buff but I'm glad it wasn't his policy anyway.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Boddington On Buffalo 2 [Re: ozhunter]
      #131351 - 03/04/09 11:32 PM

Same thing on the first Boddington Buffalo DVD. The PH shoots every buffalo as well immediately afterwards. PH was Gibson? I believe he thinks it is so the buffalo does not have a chance to escape and it was his "policy" or something like that. Personally I would not use a PH with this sort of idea.

Quote:

It wasn't Ian's policy on the hunt's I did with him.
If he did it might have saved loosing a Buff but I'm glad it wasn't his policy anyway.

Wasn't his policy when I hunted with him either..in fact, we harvested around 14 head of game and he never fired his gun once in the 18 days I spent with him..

This is the same PH that was in the story posted on this site "Elephants and Cartridges" by Dr. Jo HALL....where the clients ass was saved by Ian, shooting an elephant at something like 4 yards..

Something we have all been guilty of, perhaps before casting judgement on a PH, one should know all the facts.... I'm just saying...

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (03/04/09 11:36 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5716

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com