Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
SteveH
.300 member

Reged: 26/12/03
Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's
      #96150 - 07/02/08 03:21 AM

Here's a couple doubles that are up for auction at Greg Martins. I'm not involved at all with these guns (other than I'm on his e-mail list). Just thought that some here might like to know about them.

Cased .475 Number 2 Nitro W. J. Jeffery Boxlock Ejector

Lot 1194 Detail
*Cased .475 Number 2 Nitro W. J. Jeffery Boxlock Ejector Double Barrel Rifle

Serial no. 28745. .475 Number 2 Nitro. 24-inch chopper lump barrels marked: W. J. Jeffery & Co. Ltd. / 9 Golden Square, Regent Street, London. W.1. Matted concave quarter rib with express sights: 1 standing marked 100 and 4 folding from 200 to 500. Rib with locking doll's head. Matted concave forward rib with spear front sight and moon sight on a matted ramped base with sight protector. Casehardened boxlock action with chain border engraving and game scenes: pair of tigers in a savanna setting on each side of the action. Blued floorplate with a circular medallion. Blued triggerguard with chain border engraving. Ejectors. Automatic safety. Locking third fastener. Disc set strikers. Checkered pistolgrip stock of figured walnut. Recent red Pachmayr Old English recoil pad. Casehardened steel gripcap engraved with fine foliate scroll with trap. Trap with spare front sight with moon sight wrapped in a piece of flannel. Vacant silver oval. Sling eyes. Checkered splinter fore-end with Anson-style release. Period green canvas and tan leather trunk case with brass corners and hardware. Green baize interior with maker's maroon leather label marked with the 26 Bury Street, St. James's, London address. Case with 24-inch barrel channel. Accessories include: Leather strap with locking hook fasteners. Pull-through in a brown leather pouch. Later nickel-silver square oil bottle. Two boxes of 10 cartridges in tan boxes with orange labels marked: Smokeless tropical load / .475 No. 2 Cordite Express Rifle Cartridges / Bullet 500 grains / Pattern of Bullet - Solid / W. J. Jeffery & Co. Ltd. / 26 Bury Street, St. James' / London, S.W. 1. One box contains all solids wrapped in tissue paper, the other contains 4 solids and 6 soft point.

Condition: Excellent, as partially redone. Barrels show 85-90% bluing with losses and wear on sides at front of fore-end. Bright bores with sharp rifling. The folding leaves show a brown patina on the top surface. Action shows 60-70% case colors with vivid colors on the top of the action and fences and protected areas. The sides of the fences show losses to the colors. Floorplate shows 95% bluing with some thinning and scratches. Triggerguard shows bluing losses to the tang. Triggers show some slight spotting. Refinished stock shows very few very light marks. Replaced recoil pad. Refinished fore-end shows two older bruises. Fore-end furniture shows a silver gray patina. Refreshed checkering. Case in very good condition with a recolored canvas finish showing older scratches to finish. Leather trim shows a three inch loss on the bottom edge of the end. Handle stitching has failed and the handle is not attached. Interior in excellent condition. One box of ammunition in excellent condition the other in very good condition with splits at the seams.

Pull: 14 5/8 inches. Weight: 11 pounds, 9 ounces.

Estimate: $12000 - $20000

450/400 Nitro Wilkinson Boxlock Ejector

Lot 1195 Detail
*450/400 Nitro Wilkinson Boxlock Ejector Double Rifle.

Serial no. 55018. 450/400 - 3 1/4 inch Nitro. 28-1/8-inch barrels. Barrels marked: Wilkinson, Pall Mall, London, SW./ For Cordite 450/400 3 1/4 Case. File cut quarter rib with doll's head and third fastener. Rib with standing rear sight (100) two folding leaves (200, 300). Spear front sight on a file cut ramped base. Base with a small rotating lever on right side. Re-blued reinforced boxlock action 80% engraved with fine foliate scroll. Maker's name in banner. Disc-set strikers. Ejectors. Automatic safety. Gold SAFE. Finely checkered pistolgrip stock of figured walnut. Cheekpiece. Vacant silver oval. Drop points. Reblued steel grip cap. Furniture engraved with 80% fine scroll coverage. Period Silver's style recoil pad. Finely checkered splinter fore-end with Anson-style release. Sling eyes.

Condition: Excellent, as partially redone. Barrels show 98% reblued finish with some slight spotting and some very light older pitting. Well defined rifling shows some light frosting and some slight erosion at chambers. Action and triggerguard show 99% reblued finish. Stock shows a professionally repaired crack at the grip and numerous light nicks and scratches. Cheekpiece shows an area of heavier scratches. Fore-end shows a few nicks and impressions. Checkering shows some wear. Recoil pad shows considerable wear.

Note: The front sight is missing the hinged sight protector and the rotating lever was the keeper for the protector.

Pull: 14 1/2 inches. Proof: London, Nitro, Cordite 60 - 400 MAX. 400 EX. Weight: 10 pounds 4 ounces.

Estimate: $6000 - $8000

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's [Re: SteveH]
      #96172 - 07/02/08 11:27 AM

Steve,

One thing about US auctions you should know. It's more often than not the guns offered were guns that were advertised at various gun shops, made there way around the wheel, and eventually brought to auction after no takers.

With that said, if you do decide to pursue an auction gun, I recommend you view the gun in person, thoroughly. Often there descriptions are a tad off, as a few buyers have been "stung" in the process.

The Jeffery is built on a Wilkes action, which isn't too uncommon, and looks pretty good. Neat calibre.

The Wilkinson looks like its been drug behind a trail wagon for 30 years, and uncle Wilbur did a quick blue job with his hanky to get it ready for auction.

Thanks for posting.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's [Re: ]
      #96184 - 07/02/08 02:04 PM

Seems like they are really covering their bases with the estimate range on the Jeffery.
High estimate nearly double the low is odd.
I have noticed in the past that their estimates, especially on Oberndorf Mausers, seem low to me.
I low-balled a couple and missed eventhough I bid higher than the high estimate on one of them.

Personally, I am less concerned with the outward appearance of a gun than the mechanical quality and bore condition. I guess, to my mind, a gun gains soul with every excursion and wears the occasional scar as witness to the adventure. Believe me, I pondered this acutely as I carried my Springer across a snow covered beaver dam this last elk season...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's [Re: ]
      #96189 - 07/02/08 03:02 PM

Quote:

Steve,

One thing about US auctions you should know. It's more often than not the guns offered were guns that were advertised at various gun shops, made there way around the wheel, and eventually brought to auction after no takers.

Sinner,

Is that the case with this rifle? Have you seen it offered prior to this?

Armbar.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Couple of Doubles at Greg Martin's [Re: armbar]
      #96219 - 08/02/08 12:49 AM

Quote:

The Jeffery is built on a Wilkes action

Sinner:
Are you implying that the action was made by John Wilkes, or does this statement mean something else? I'd be very interested to learn why you consider this to be a Wilkes action.

Of all the makers who built Jeffery DRs, ie the various Leonards, Turner, etc, I never heard of Wilkes being mentioned in the Jeffery ledger. Are you saying that Wilkes supplied actions to the Leonards?

That rifle looks like a Leonard-built DR to me, but I'm happy to be educated. Please explain!

BTW, my own .400 Jeffery with prowling tigers engraving looks identical with the .475 pictured, and was a late gun built by Charles Leonard in 1939. My Wilkes .470 and a .375 I had for a while are in what I thought was Wilkes' quite distinctive style, and look nothing like that.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1675

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com