Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH
      #96013 - 05/02/08 08:24 AM

I have a Cape Buffalo hunt coming up this August in the Caprivi Area of Namibia. I'll be using my Ruger 77 in .416 Rigby topped with a Leupold 1.5X5 scope. This morning I was speaking to my PH, Vaughan Fulton, and I brought up the subject of bullet selection for my softs. I had 2 different loads made up by a friend of mine who does my reloading: the 400 grain Swift A-frame, and the 400 grain Barnes TSX. Both shoot to the same spot, and average well under an inch at 75 yards. Vaughan's comment to me was that in his opinion, based on field observation, they are both excellent bullets for Buffalo. They both work well, but "I've seen that TSX bullet do some amazing damage. The TSX seems to leave a better blood trail than the Swift, but you won't go wrong with either bullet".

Hopefully, this information is useful to the members here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #96015 - 05/02/08 09:13 AM

My experience with the Swift A-Frame has been awesome. I am taking them on my hunt in May as well..

Having said that, I read a really interesting article this weekend however --this was put forth by Barnes--it is 30 caliber bullets with a 2500 fps velocity- to duplicate long range shots..4 to 500 yards.. per the article in "The Barnes Newsletter"...

The Swift A-Frame is suspiciously missing...mmmmm

This is showing the exit hole size of various bullets in the same caliber, speed, etc...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: Ripp]
      #96017 - 05/02/08 10:01 AM

Quote:

The Swift A-Frame is suspiciously missing...mmmmm

Several well known, and perhaps more comparable bullets then the Matchking, Interbond etc. are suspiciously missing. Where are the Woodleighs, North Forks, Trophy Bonded and so on? Looks like Barnes is comparing apples with oranges IMO...

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: EricD]
      #96019 - 05/02/08 10:23 AM

You're probably right. I know for a fact that both the Woodleigh and Swift A-frames expand to a much larger diameter than the Barnes. I have no experience with the others you mentioned, though.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #96030 - 05/02/08 07:07 PM

As the Swift A Frames are often found under the skin on the far side, this makes me prefer them to Barnes X's as this is a major reason for using softs on Buffalo.
If tracking a single bull the Barns X would be great, but then again I would probably use a solid as not to confuse myself with such a variety of bullets.

Edited by ozhunter (05/02/08 07:08 PM)

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: ozhunter]
      #97926 - 29/02/08 07:04 AM

Mike: All I can add is that Randy Brooks prefers the 350 vs the 400gr TSX in his 416. I've also read more than one report where the 400gr TSX did some odd things, probably as a result of tumbling due to it's length. I've used the 400gr A Frame myself with good success both in the 400gr 416 Rigby and the 300gr in the 375. I don't think you can go wrong with either but offer the 400gr TSX report as something else to consider. jorge

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: jorge]
      #97942 - 29/02/08 11:46 AM

Never shot a Buff with either but I would go with the Swift A frame. Great expansion and adequate penetration. I have shot some X bullets that shed petals in animals.At distance the accuracy of the Barnes may be better but we are talking short range with Buff.

Dead is dead but I think I would go for the A frame.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: jorge]
      #97949 - 29/02/08 01:22 PM

Jorge - this oddity of the behaviour of the 400gr. TSX might be merely an indication it is a bit too long for the standard rifling twist, therefore the preference for the lighter, shorter bullet. The 350 should penetrate just about as well, and exit about anything shot with it. Coupled with that, it's slightly higher velcity would make for better use on long range plains game.
; When a bullet is properly stabilized, it should not reverse if maintaining a long shank. The solid metal bullets are long for their weight, therefore requiring a slightly faster twist to be properly stabilized. I am sure there are some .416's out there with faster twists, just as there are .458's with 14" and 15" twists, much faster than needed for normal stabilization, even with normal 500gr. lead/guilding metal bullets.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
Re: Bullets for Buffalo-passing along info from my PH [Re: DarylS]
      #98031 - 01/03/08 11:53 AM

Daryl: That seems to be the conventional wisdom regarding all monometals and the way to mitigate is to go down in weight and up in velocity. jorge

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2306

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com