Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3x62 Takedown Update 19.01

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: SAHUNT]
      #94206 - 14/01/08 09:25 AM

nice work, I have never seen quite that configuration before. Did you invent it or is it a copy of some design.

What model of Harrison lathe do you have? I am rebuilding the carriage on my L-6 right now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: buckbrush]
      #94207 - 14/01/08 09:45 AM

Well you know how it is Jaco. Crueley neglect the family, cheat my customers, starve the dogs, loads of spare time

Buckbrush.

It is a L5 with the old change wheels rather than a gearbox for threadcutting.

The catch design is my own one. The threads were lapped in and the mating faces blacked down. She tighten up to within .050 smooth as silk by hand and then you just slap the forend with your hand and slide the catch home. What is not visible is the work hidden by the forend that makes the plate and the catch integral with the barrel rather than supported by the forend wood. A girl has to have some secrets after all

The major parts had their final carding tonight and are oiled up.
I must get a better camara.

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 09:40 PM)

Bramble
.375 member

9.3x62 Take downUpdate 19.01 [Re: Bramble]
      #94679 - 19/01/08 10:33 AM

Well my Grandmother said that you should never do anything by halves. However to the best of my knowledge she never built a takedown.
So...the front end finished. For those that hate the rearsight, so do I. The only job that I put out, was to cut the dovetail in the cocking peice, and only because I dident have the correct carbide cutter for the case hardening. Guess what, yes, they let me down and I am on a plane in 12 days to visit Jaco (SA Hunt) for a weeks hunting. The only option was to fit this sight with a low temp solder and live with it until I get back. Because of this I have just cold blued the barrel and will re-polish and rust blue when I gat back. I am most un amused as I wanted to take Rusty Marlins lovley Rigby copy apature hunting. Ah well...next time.

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 09:41 PM)

dale
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: logan W.V.
Re: 9.3x62 Take downUpdate 19.01 [Re: Bramble]
      #94689 - 19/01/08 12:06 PM

You already know I just love it!! I have a tiny inkling of the time and tedious fitting that has gone into it thus far. Good luck on the hunt..
Are you going topost a picture of it togeather before the hunt?

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 9.3x62 Take downUpdate 19.01 [Re: dale]
      #94758 - 20/01/08 06:21 AM

Looks great Bramble!!.

keeping the classic style of the british sportingrifle, is always gracefull.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: 9.3x62 Take down Finished for Africa. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #94771 - 20/01/08 11:32 AM

Well that is it, finished...or at least as finished as it is going to get before my trip.
When I return it will have to be checkered (something for which I have absolutly no talent ) The gloss coats of oil applied and that hidious rearsight changed.
There was little point in finishing the stock and then subjecting it to sweaty hands for a week.
There are enough coats to protect the wood.
I am also waiting for the red pad to arrive, but the stock has been cut to length in anticipation.

Thank you all for your kind comments during the build.

I will post some hunt photos with her in her natural habitat when I get back.

Regards

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 09:42 PM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: 9.3x62 Take down Finished for Africa. [Re: Bramble]
      #94797 - 20/01/08 07:35 PM

That`s a winner
I must indeed say, I envy your skills..

Howcome have chosen the 9.3 mauser?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: 9.3x62 Take down Finished for Africa. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #94828 - 21/01/08 06:29 AM

mark
you are an artist, but you look to normal to be reconised as one . i think we should talk about a joint-venture project, the 600 ne comes to mind...allthough you are not allowed to have a say regarding rear sights , that is an eyesore on a beauty.
have a good trip, shoot a couple of animals for me as well. we will talk when you come home

regards

peter

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: SAHUNT]
      #95079 - 24/01/08 01:15 PM

Hi Bramble,

The rifle is absolutely number 1. I just stumbled onto this forum and it was good to see a lot of people love the Mauser and the takedown idea. I posted a forum requesting information on how this was done earlier with no luck, may I ask, are you doing it with a CNC and CAD / CAM software as I am willing to pay for any asistance in getting mine off the ground ie, copy of plans, software etc.

Again a great looking project.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Bramble
.375 member

Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #95101 - 25/01/08 04:05 AM

Hi Jens

I decided on 9.3 x 62 after using a PH called Leon's one in SA last year. I was impressed with it and its modest recoil for the performance. Also given the age of the doner it seemed to fit well.
I think that the next I build will be in .404

All Best

Chapuisarmes.

Thank you for the kind words, however, I am afraid that every piece of work that you see apart from the small milling job on the latch is entirley hand done, even the checkering on the latch is file cut. With files, stones and grinders etc.
There are no drawings in existence as the dimensions of all the parts were made up as I went along to suit the rifle in question, the stock blank that I had, ball bearings, springs for latches, etc.

Having completed the project the following thoughts strike me.
It would be perfectly possible to make the metal work and supply it fitted and indexed to a re-barreled action with the catch detached but index pinned into the correct position. A stockmaker could then fit the woodwork to the action without too much trouble and file the edges of the mating plates to suit, because the latch is located for fitting on its front pin relative to the slot in the plates, or the whole thing could be finished and blued but the stockmaker would have to be good,. This would be effectivly a "Takedown kit" sans woodwork. The rifle could be prooved without its woodwork.
This would not be extremly expensive. In fact It would proberbly be less than assembling all the kit necesary to carry out the various tasks. As far as I know there are no restrictions in exporting sporting rifles or components to Aus. A lot of the costs here are in fitting and finishing the woodwork.
If you are interested in a costing them please feel free to PM me.

Regards

tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: Bramble]
      #95116 - 25/01/08 05:53 AM

Quote:

I think that the next I build will be in .404

I'll be watching for that post, I don't know what it is about .404 but it really intrigues me. I must be destined to own one, or at least thats what I'll keep telling the wife

You do fantastic work, keep up the posts!

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #95130 - 25/01/08 09:56 AM

Bramble,
You have a very nice rifle there, and all credit to you for the work that has been done to create it.
Thanks also for taking the time to show us the build, bit by bit, with your photos and words!
There will be many here who have been following this thread, who will be very keen to hear about your hunt with this rifle.
All the best for your safari, and can't wait to watch the .404 come to life when you get that project started.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: 4seventy]
      #95144 - 25/01/08 01:02 PM

Thank you all for your encouragment, it is a great imputus to finish projects.

Well just 9 days and counting until I leave, I have done all the important packing as you can see below. The wife will deal with the clothes and stuff :-)

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 09:42 PM)

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
      #95192 - 26/01/08 03:01 AM

Bramble,

I can't receive any photo's posted in photobucket. Something blocked in my company server I think. Anyway, all this talk of the beautiful 9.3 has me wishing you would send me a PM with a photo. I love the classic 9.3x62 and plan to build one as soon as I get my son's off the payroll in a few years. Sure would love to see your work.

Thanks..................Lee

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #95238 - 26/01/08 09:26 PM

All you need is to grab your toothbrush and get on the plane, it is getting very loney here on OR Tambo waiting for you

I cannot wait to see your new baby

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #95326 - 28/01/08 11:19 AM

Bramble,

Fantastic rifle though there was zero doubt that that was what she was going to be! Hope you have an equally fantastic hunt. Can't wait to see the hunt pics here, and, of course, the 404 pics when you start working on her.

Thank you very much for sharing these here and do have a fantastic hunt!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Bramble
.375 member

Re: 9.3x62 Takedown work in progress. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #95397 - 29/01/08 09:23 AM

Mehulkamdar.

Thank you for your good wishes.

She shoots as well.
This was 50 mts open sights, off a rested hand, with the barrel removed between 2 shot groups and replaced, not allowed to cool. 286 grain solid Woodleighs 53 Grains H 4895 Win standard primer.

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 09:43 PM)

tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
      #95470 - 30/01/08 05:04 AM

Dang, I want one! So how you going to get that fine piece of work to Canada when you sell it to me

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #95797 - 02/02/08 05:25 PM

Bramble,

A rifle that is completely hand-built and shoots that well just HAS to go to Africa! We'll all be looking forward to some great hunting pictures and a hunt report.

Most importantly, you would be hunting with a rifle that you have built yourself. Nothing else can beat that.

Fantastic and thanks for sharing the detailed pictures and rifle building details from start to completion. Very good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13068

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com