Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please
      #95588 - 31/01/08 02:29 PM

At the most recent SCI Convention, a friend of mine purchased a Chapuis PH1 DR in .470 NE for his Elephant hunt this coming August. He was asking me what my thoughts were about it, and since I'm not familiar with any double rifle, I had to decline comment. I'm hoping that the members here, who have experience with the newer Chapuis double rifles can enlighten me, so I can pass your comments on to him. Thanks for your help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #95592 - 31/01/08 04:02 PM

I have a 9.3 not the 470 but it's a dandy light little rifle.I have only 150 rounds thru it but I like what it does so far.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: AkMike]
      #95597 - 31/01/08 05:40 PM

I have a Chapuis "Brousse" in .375 with a S&B 1.1-4 x 24 Zenith scope, a beautiful rifle to handle and use. In the Northern Territory last September I took 2 Buffalo, each were dropped using the Federal Cape Shock ammunition loaded with 300 grain Tripple Shock projectiles, 2 shots each, the best medicine for Aussie Buffalo I have used to date.

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #95599 - 31/01/08 05:48 PM

I have handled them and they seemed neat but with an unusual locking system. The one I saw were very continental with the patridge-like sights etc.

Perhaps you could mention to your mate that the time to inquire is before you buy something, not afterwards.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Paul]
      #95603 - 31/01/08 08:21 PM

Mike

I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis double Rifle.

It is one of my most favorite hunting rifles, I have taken quite a bit of game with it, and have fired over 3000 rounds through it.

I have also helped 3 different buddies develop loads for their 470 Chapuis doubles.

ALL of them have been very easy to load for and all of them have shot very well.

The 470, Chapuis is one of the best of the new made doubles.

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: NE450No2]
      #95614 - 31/01/08 11:43 PM

Mike,

I have both a 9.3mmx74R and a .470 Brousse.

Both are VERY nice rifles, very well made and to tell you the truth I like them more than several of the old british doubles costing twice as much which I have seen in SCI type shows or friendīs guns that I have handled and shot.

My 9.3mm is a very nice, quite light, handy little rifle. Being light it kicks hard, but is a joy to take around the jungles of south america (and when hunting I donīt even take notice of the recoil). It was regulated with Norma softs, but two days at the range was all it took to regulate it with the woodleights solids which I favor (regulated at 2250 fps it hits really hard).

If you buy the 9.3mm make sure to get the 20gauge barrells with polychokes. It keeps a marvelous balance.

The .470 is very nice, and I prefer its African series sights over the 9.3mm AGEX type sights. I havenīt shot much as I shot all the ammo I had and need to import more, but liked it.

Of course they are not flawless. The triggers were way too heavy to my liking (but without creep). My 9.3mm ejects hard, the way I like it, but the .470 has a bit softer ejection, which needs a bit of change.

Overall, they are way more than you would expect. I think the fact that they are French made deducts an amount (20-40%) to its price compared to a gun of similar quality made in the UK, Germany or the US.

--------------------
Ddouble

k80
.333 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: San Antonio ,Texas, U.S.A.
      #95624 - 01/02/08 01:02 AM

Is there a authorised Chapuis factory service
center near you? Is there one in the
U.S.? Are spare parts readily available?

--------------------
Ken
San Antonio

Welcome to South Texas

Otto
.300 member

Reged: 15/09/05
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: k80]
      #95631 - 01/02/08 02:27 AM

The Champlin arms site speaks very highly of the Chapuis DRs, and, as they point out, likely have as great a volume in DRs as anyone. George and J.J. at Champlins are very knowledgeable, IMO, and also completely trustworthy in my experience. I'm able to comment personally on two Chapuis DRs, a 9.3 and a 470, and both are wonderful, boringly not troublesome, very accurate rifles. Both these rifles wear scopes and one nice point is Chapuis DRs are made for ease of scope mounting.

Otto

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Otto]
      #95677 - 01/02/08 01:34 PM

Quote:

The Champlin arms site speaks very highly of the Chapuis DRs, and, as they point out, likely have as great a volume in DRs as anyone. George and J.J. at Champlins are very knowledgeable, IMO, and also completely trustworthy in my experience. I'm able to comment personally on two Chapuis DRs, a 9.3 and a 470, and both are wonderful, boringly not troublesome, very accurate rifles. Both these rifles wear scopes and one nice point is Chapuis DRs are made for ease of scope mounting.

Otto

I too have visited with George Caswell regarding these--and agree with the above --George seems to think they are one of the best doubles going for a entry level rifle. I looked at them however they did not fit me well..be that as it may, they seem like a very well built gun for what they are.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Ripp]
      #95994 - 05/02/08 03:31 AM

I just wanted to take a moment here to thank you all for your comments. I'll forward them to my friend. Thanks again.

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #96005 - 05/02/08 05:22 AM

HI Mike,

I've owned a 9.3 UGEX for a number of years. On the whole its a good, working gun. Good triggers, nice handling, solid action and well regulated. Its had some teething problems (like the catch that holds open the opening lever, etc) but its performed very well. I've not shot a 470NE, but I would echo some of the comments by 400NE, they handle nicer in the small and medium calibers (7, 8 and 9.3mm) than the big bores. In terms of quality I think they are nicer made than Merkels (but not by much), but the utility grades are not as nice as Heym. They have several higher grade guns with more hand finishing. I also saw a catalogue last year where they annouce they are going to start making rounded action shotguns and rifles.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
      #96068 - 06/02/08 05:55 AM

I have a Chapuis Safari PH2 470 that i absolutely love . It is a great shooter, getting 1-1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. It is beautiful and very well made even it doesn't carry the snob appeal of a British Double I believe it to be better made than Heym, Merkel, or Krieghoff ...nicer looking too. Best value in today market. But my STRONG advise is Donot buy one if you are Afraid to shoot it. Many guys big bores that end up collecting dust in the safe. Even a PH in Africa once asked me if I was afraid to shoot my 470. Yes it kicks but it not that bad but if you're sensitive to recoil it may give you the yipps

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Westley375]
      #96454 - 10/02/08 03:10 PM

In my original post I mentioned that the rifle my friend bought was the PH 1, but I was mistaken. It is the Brousse. I saw the rifle tonight, and it is gorgeous! Beautiful wood and engraving. The action does take quite a bit of effort to close, though. Hopefully, a good cleaning will ease things up a bit.

I have another question, (actually, my friend has the question): which barrel does the front trigger fire? Oddly enough, there was no instruction manual provided with the rifle when it was shipped to my friends FFL dealer.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
      #96461 - 10/02/08 04:12 PM

Mike

If the Chapuis has not been altered for a left hander, the front trigger fires the right barrel.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: NE450No2]
      #96474 - 10/02/08 07:13 PM

Mike

The rifle may have to be shot in. That is a number of rounds through the action to settle the steel and compress the pin and the lugs.

This is not unusual but needs to be done when the steel is soft. The tolerances are unusually tight and the steel will compress as fired, thus allowing a normal operating rifle.

Usually 50-100 rounds will do it.

I once had a 10.5 lb 577 3" that I bought brand new. It took 100 rounds to loosen it up so it would work like it should.

I ran out of friends willing to shoot it before it was ready.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#96544 - 11/02/08 04:01 PM

A lot of folks really like these, they seem to be getting better and better every year.

Brian
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: NY (Delaware County)
      #97046 - 19/02/08 02:41 PM

I had a 9.3x74 that I bought form JJ back about 8 years ago. Had to sell due to college tuition for one of my kids!!!!.
Anyway, a great rifle, accurate as hell; 2 pair into 1"-1 1/2" at 100 yards. I had it ordered regulated with S&B 1.5x6 as primary sighting system. Norma 286 Gr. Tight action and stiff for a bit but it had great triggers and beautiful wood. I lucke dout , I didnt order wood upgrade.
One thing I tell 9.3 shooters. Get chamber adapter(s) in 9mm Markarov pistol caliber. They shot fantastic in my Chapuis. I got 25 yard groups of 4 in one ragged hole baout 6" below pointof aim with the scope. It was like shooting an air rifle, no nose or recoil. I clould have adjusted the scope but what the hell. But talk about cheap shooting. MCA adapters in Alaska makes them . about 25 bucks a piece.

If I was going to buy another, I owuld buy the chapuis again.

--------------------
Brian

LTC, IN
Back from Afghanistan
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc.
Endowment Member NRA
Delaware County, NY

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Brian]
      #97055 - 20/02/08 01:31 AM

Mick,
Is this shooting in period commonn to other makes of double rifle?
I have used doubles which perform faultlessly right off the bat
with no noticeable need to be worked in. Is this a case of less
fitting work to keep costs down?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Brazos_Jack
.224 member

Reged: 28/02/08
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Huvius]
      #97921 - 29/02/08 05:30 AM

I'm brand new to this forum. Never had a double and interested in starting with a 9.3x74R. I'm from Texas. Does anyone in Texas handle the Chapuis DR in Texas?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Brazos_Jack]
      #97931 - 29/02/08 08:33 AM

Brazos_Jack:
yes,
there is a fellow in Houston at Euroarms that handles several Doubles. Heym, Chapuis and some others. The owner's name is Prince. I could find a card. He is always set up at the Houston Safari Club with a variety.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #97947 - 29/02/08 01:12 PM

Chris Sells,

Who posts here as "New Guy" also is a double rifle dealer and I know that amoungst others he has Heym rifles.

You can shoot him a Private Message using this forum's facilities.

I've never bought a rifle from Chris, but I've spoken with him about doin so and he is a first rate fellow, imo.

JPK

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: Huvius]
      #97963 - 29/02/08 02:51 PM

Quote:

Mick,
Is this shooting in period commonn to other makes of double rifle?
I have used doubles which perform faultlessly right off the bat
with no noticeable need to be worked in. Is this a case of less
fitting work to keep costs down?

Huvius

I have seen it as most common in Belgian and Italian guns. I think that they use tolerances that are tighter than others and thus are harder to use initially. I think they may stay together longer also but that is just a guess.

I have a friend who bought a new Holland and it was extremely tight initially. He has probably fired less than 20 rounds through it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

livinus
.224 member

Reged: 12/06/06
Loc: belgium
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: mickey]
      #98015 - 01/03/08 07:48 AM

Mickey,
many continental guns are mounted very tight. This is on purpose: it will take a little while (perhaps a hundred rounds or even more)for the gun to 'break in', but it will stay tight for a great many more shots thereafter. Notice the position of the locking lever on a typical belgian double: it stands somewhat off center to the right.This is a 'reserve' for wear, a way to compensate automaticaly for the wear to the locking surfaces. Also, the barrels are not in touch with the watertable of the action,there is a small reserve for them to sink lower, so it takes a lot more shots for the barrels to come 'off face'. My younger brother was a student under Marcel Thys, who often had to explain the tightness of his guns to American customers.
Greetings,
Livinus

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: JPK]
      #98139 - 03/03/08 12:25 AM

I have purchased from Chris. Nice man to deal with and 100% honest in his dealings. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please [Re: dnovo]
      #98140 - 03/03/08 12:29 AM

I have owned and used both the Chapuis and the nearly-identical priced Merkel(depending on the level of engraving, as the Chapuis offers some lower grades in the US than Merkel) I would give the nod to the Merkel, but have no real criticism of Chapuis. I have a soft spot in my heart for the 141 series Merkel double, which I have in several lighter calibers including a real neat 7X57R with a scope set up by the gunsmith at GSI. Using the lighter 'chassis' offered a lot of advantages if one is going to shot in the ligher calibers. They only offer it up to the 9.3X74R for good reason, shooting anything more robust would be quite a shoulder full. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com