Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Taurus Tracker ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
GSP7
.275 member

Reged: 23/01/06
Loc: Ca./idaho
Taurus Tracker ?
      #95300 - 28/01/08 04:03 AM

What is the quality of Taurus revolvers? I know absolutly nothing about them.
How do they compare to a ruger red hawk?

Are they Quality and smooth operating or Not so good ?

Thanks rick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: GSP7]
      #95316 - 28/01/08 09:09 AM

Have one in a 41 Mag. Have to wear a glove with full power loads due to the recoil.Very light and accurate but with heavy loads it will generally beat your index finger up unless you have a VERY FIRM grip.

With lighter loads it is great. I carry mine when out and about all the time in the woods.S&W makes a better revolver but I like it!!

Edited by hoppdoc (28/01/08 09:17 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #95332 - 28/01/08 02:08 PM

Goodbye, eardrums!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: Marrakai]
      #98631 - 08/03/08 12:18 AM

I've got one in 357. stainless.
Well made,good trigger and comfortable to shoot..
I would recomend them over a S&W for value and finish.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #98633 - 08/03/08 12:25 AM

They are actually quite nice. I have owned a few and the shape and material of the grip makes them fairly comfortable to shoot in the larger calibers. Hard to beat for the bucks and well built. Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: dnovo]
      #98640 - 08/03/08 12:58 AM

I need to give Taurus another look up close.

For many years Taurus wheelguns were the victims of highly variable QC and the fitting was poor. Guns frequently came from the factory with excessive endshake, b/c gaps, side-to-side play, misaligned ejector rods, malfitting, galling crane/frame fit and poor trigger pulls. This compared to Smiths.

Trouble for Smiths is that they have gone thru several reoccuring periods of really poor QC themselves and from a fit/finish standpoint aren't the best they can be either.

Rugers are very well built, but trigger pulls are commonly obscenely heavy, with creep, spongy release and backlash.

What it boils down to for me is, a revolver is one of those guns that is best purchased in-person, not ordered like on the web where yu get whatever the stockboy pulls off the shelf and sends you. Bring a slip gauge and check the b/c, inspect for endshake, s/s play, crane fit and if used, for pushoff as well.

I have heard that the consistency of Taurus QC has improved. Worth taking another look, maybe.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98669 - 08/03/08 05:00 AM

The quality of workmanship of Smith and Wesson revolvers under the current ownership is outstanding. I've purchased two, a K-22 and a 686 (both with frame-mounted firing pins) and couldn't be more pleased. Accuracy is great, and the triggers are wonderful. Take care, Tom

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: Tatume]
      #98672 - 08/03/08 05:19 AM

Quote:

The quality of workmanship of Smith and Wesson revolvers under the current ownership is outstanding. I've purchased two, a K-22 and a 686 (both with frame-mounted firing pins) and couldn't be more pleased. Accuracy is great, and the triggers are wonderful. Take care, Tom

Smith has always been able to spin out a good product, they just didn't all the time every time. My Heritage 29-9 for example is a really well-made revolver, at least as good as those made in the mid-60's for example.

When I was in the business I saw barrels that unscrewed after a cylinderfull of rounds, burrs hanging off barrel forcing cones, cranes full of metal chips, cranes that barely locked up, etc. Used to be a guy could send back any gun with warts and they'd be happy to fix it for a nominal charge. Vito in repair was a gem of a guy and rebuilt quite a few for me. This made buying even a more-or-less sight unseen Smith a safe proposition. More and more tho, from what I understand, they are limiting the model series' they will repair. I sold off my Smith collection some years ago and haven't been buying wheelguns for some time. I only have two revolvers left.

Last time I looked closely at a few at the gunshop {a couple year ago} I was, to be honest, yet again unimpressed. I don't recall exactly when they were made, sometime before that obviously.

Tatume: are the two you refer to recently made, as in the last year or so? I have heard Smith has recently made some effort at improving QC.

Theoretically, though, even with some of the fitting issues that still seem to pop up, the guns should have a higher service life than the oldies. The endurance package update of the early '90's was a big plus for buyers of the .44 Mags for example.

And it was indeed Ruger who cut into Smiths market, along with Taurus and forced a lot of change on Smith, some of it good.

I've heard more and more good things about the Taurus guns and with the last few years of inflation skyrocketing Smith prices up, maybe the Taurus guns would be worth a second look. Would be fun to take the tools to the gun shop and compare Rugers, Smiths and Taurus's of similar models.

One thing to remember is revolvers don't get tighter with age and increasing round count. If the gun rattles like a half a canful of bolts brand new, it is only going to get worse with time.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (08/03/08 05:24 AM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Taurus Tracker ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #98679 - 08/03/08 06:11 AM

Quote:

Tatume: are the two you refer to recently made, as in the last year or so? I have heard Smith has recently made some effort at improving QC.

Yes, the 686 was purchased last summer and the K-22 about a year before that.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2087

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com