Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Can this be my new BIGBORE home?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Can this be my new BIGBORE home? [Re: Holmes]
      #9526 - 19/02/04 07:21 PM

Mike & Holmes

For me the recoil into the shoulder is not really a problem at all. Given a reasonable number of shots.

I often only shoot with a thin shirt but now usually use a thin shooting vest as well. In winter a jacket and I just hang a towell under the jacket and that works fine.

My problem is I had a pinched nerve in my neck and the whiplash affect is the problem. Not much you can do about that. So I just limit the shots where possible.

None of my shotguns have recoil pads at all, just wood, metail or plastic in one case. Shooting a couple hundred 12 gauges does result in a sore shoulder.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #9527 - 19/02/04 07:21 PM

In reply to:

I use a Rand Elite shield. This item is vastly superior to the more common Past pads.

I was turned on to it by an old BPCR shooter. He's a paraplegic and whacks the steel way out there with a 45-90 from a damned wheelchair. Got him a nice bull elk year before last on his own.... wheelchair and all. Somebody forgot to tell him he's handicapped!

They are available from Buffalo Arms at:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Here's a pic:

I use this when I compete in local informal practical rifle shoots. Everybody else uses 308s while I play with a 375. I shot 60 full power rounds once from the prone with this shield.

Really helps when working loads for the 500

Yhanks Holmes I ordered one right away so I can use it when sighting in my 470 NE

--------------------

Christer Hansson

**DONOTDELETE**

#9529 - 19/02/04 09:11 PM

A 550 mag That ought to stop a 'roo, eh?!!

I think it will work OK

I have now cleared rifle range shooting so will send cheque tomorrow for the 550.

My feelings are that my 550 will spend 15% of its time at 458 Lott power and 70% at much less than 458 Lott power. I am thinking that the 550 will not have the huge freebore of the 378 Wby and 460 Wby and as such this will make reduced loads very easy. Both the 378 and especially the 460 invite hangfires and the big freebore is the problem. The 378 is far less of a problem than the 460 because the smaller bore offers more resistance. Having said that both the 378 and 460 load back and shoot real nice and accurately at the level of 300 grain 375s at 2400 f/s and 500 grains at 2000 f/s. However, both the 378 and 460 move to hangfires just under that level of power. Both the 378 and 460 work well with the shotgun powder, but this is 1200 to 1400 f/s. Thus there is a big gap. Some of this gap is filled by one the Accurate Arms powders that you buy in America.

I think the lack of huge freebore will allow the 550 Magnum to cover the whole range of loads with no big gap in the middle.

Mike

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can this be my new BIGBORE home? [Re: NitroX]
      #9530 - 19/02/04 09:34 PM

Nitro.....from your post

My problem is I had a pinched nerve in my neck and the whiplash affect is the problem.

I think the whiplash problem is the main problem, not the shoulder. I think you would have the whiplash problem even if you did not have the pinched nerve.

The main reason you have the whiplash problem is:

1) You are shooting big bores quite a bit

2) You are shooting them from the standing position

Whenever I see a posting or gun article that says you should sit very upright when benchresting a big bore.....I know that a limited number of shots are being fired.

In my opinion, if lots of shots are going to be fired and in addition on "lots of occasions" then whiplash is the issue. For me, the recoil level of the 375 through to 458 is best handled by a rigid body. In other words I would rather shoot a 375 or 458 from the bench than offhand.

A very good way to shoot 375 through to 458 recoil is to shoot lying down.....as if you are lying on a benchrest....sandbags under the forend and on a rest and sandbags under the butt.......This shooting position is totally different to "rifle range prone on your elbows"

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7420

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com