Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hello

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
BigIron
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
Hello
      #9524 - 19/02/04 06:29 PM

This is my first post and I want to say how much I have learned over the past month. Alot of great info. I like the easy going atmosphere.

This coming Friday I will be receiving a Winchester Safari Express in .458 Win. Mag. It's the first big bore rifle I have owned in about 12 years so I'm anxious to get out to the range with it this weekend. I know its not one of the exotic big bores but it should be a good start.

I have been heavily into big bore handguns over the past 20 years and they don't seem to be as interesting as they once were so I guess the next logical step is big bore rifles. Maybe it will keep me occupied for the next 20.

Thanks and take care.
Scott

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Hello [Re: BigIron]
      #9525 - 19/02/04 06:53 PM

Greetings and welcome to ya!

A big bore sure doesn't have to be exotic to be interesting and fun. I think the 458 Winmag is a great cartridge, especially if one is a hand loader.

This is a good place to hang your hat so make yourself comfortable and enjoy.

Glad to have you aboard!

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9549 - 20/02/04 04:24 AM

I hear you. I had been shooting 44's and 45 Colts and ACP's for so long that I can't remember exactly when the bug bit me. In my case, living in an urban environment, transporting handguns to the range was a whole lot easier than a long gun of any type. The 458 Win Mag isn't on top of the heap but with the right loads, it'll do if you know the cartridge's limitations. The 450 gr bullet with RE7 seems to give it enough oomph to get it off its knees. BTW, welcome.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

BigIron
.224 member

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Hello [Re: 475Guy]
      #9574 - 20/02/04 06:14 AM

Hey guys

I fired my first .44 Magnum on Christmas day 1977 at the ripe old age of 13. By 1980 it seemed I had one of everything that RCBS made and a trash can load of 2400 powder (I read everything I could find by Elmer Keith). I always kept at least one rifle around and for several years it was a Winchester M70 in .300 H&H Magnum. In 1991 I bought a Ruger No.1 Tropical in .458 Win.Mag. and kept it a couple years but never bought a set of reloading dies for it so I was limited to how much I could afford to shoot. I sold the No.1 but still shot my two .44's (A Ruger three screw Super Blackhawk and a mid 70's Smith Model 29 6 1/2"). I still have both.

I was always interested in the "big rifles" but could not afford the double's and once you get beyond a .458 Lott in caliber the price on loading components goes crazy.

So I have decided to start a small collection of rifles that will include the following calibers: .375 H&H, .416 Rigby or Rem. Mag., .458 WM and .458 Lott. I had thoughts on the CZ Safari in the Lott caliber but after speaking to CZ USA on the phone a couple weeks back I will wait to see if there are any bugs to be worked out with the American stocks.

Anyway thats my story. I need to get a post ready for the reloading forum about good powders to use for 500-510 grn bullets in the .458 WM. All of my manuals are about 10 years old and I need to get up to speed on the newer powders that work.

Thanks for the nice welcome.
Scott

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #9585 - 20/02/04 10:45 AM

You know what, besides having the opportunity to shoot big DB's and boltguns since the 70's, reading about the African hunts done by Elmer Keith with his doubles did me in.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2024

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com