Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: what Talleys for Kimber Montana 300WSM?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
KM4
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: Outback Qld, Australia
what Talleys for Kimber Montana 300WSM?
      #95158 - 25/01/08 03:20 PM

I have a Kimber Montana 300WSM with Leup VXIII 2.5-8 presently in Leup bases & low rings. I'm thinking of changing the mounts for 2 reasons:
1. two hunting colleagues reckon the scope is too low, as they say I squash my face down onto the comb to get a good sight picture; and
2. the Leup front base sticks out over the loading port of the action and also means the scope turret prevents mounting the scope further forward (this gun has drawn blood from my forehead on one occasion!).

I checked the Talley website & it seems I can use either low or medium rings with this scope. Does anyone know if Talley low rings are higher than the Leupy lows, or should I just order the mediums? I will have to order by mail order as I can't get to a gun shop to size them up before handing over the $. I considering either the Talley stainless screw-lock base/ring set-up or the light weight alloy one-piece mounts.

I've got a few weeks to mull this over while I wait for Leupold in the States to return my scope & Alumina flip-up cover that I couldn't screw onto the ocular (didn't have enough thread cut in the scope to properly seat the flip-up cover). But I want it ready to go by April for the red deer roar in NZ.

Incidentally, after a mate did a bedding job on it, this gun is definitely a shooter - 0.8" groups with standard garden-variety Federal Power Shock 180gn. I'm happy with that, but am hoping for at least the same or better with reloads (Barnes 168 TSX).

Will be most grateful for your thoughts ...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1380

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com