Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Big Blacks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Hunting Big Blacks
      #95 - 29/12/02 02:14 PM

Hey all, glad to be apart of the room. Been hunting and shooting most of my life.
Here in New York most of the big game consists of whitetail deer and black bear, which have been known to get up in the 700 hundred pound range here.
Always had an interest in the big bores, picked up a 458 built on a 98 mauser ( carl gustoff) it was a great shooter when pushing the 510 grain bullet.
I picked it up to hunt black bear with, but it needed to be tamed down a bit. I worked with it for a couple of years. Trying to get it down to about a 405 grain bullet. It was expensive to shoot even from a reloaders stand point and the kick was something to be reconded with. I even thought about checking out a black powder load, but never got around to trying it. I finally unloaded it last year.
Am currently looking for a 45-90 or a 50-70, which would be better suited for my area of northern New York. I've shot many big bores and they are great fun.
I picked up a 75 cal black powder this past year with a rifled barrel and can't wait to check it out, am still trying to get some accurate data on the powder charge.
I also have a great interest in long range shooting.

Happy to be on board
moss

First Previous 2-7 of 7 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Glad to see you made it about time moss,good place to hang your hat

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Welcome Moss
Hope you enjoy the conversations here.I see you like your big guns.I have .460weatherby mag wich I kee for the big stuff here in Africa

Cheers see you later
Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Welcome Moss

Hope your search for a 50-70 or 45-90 goes well. It will be interesting to hear about your 75 cal BP as well when you check it out.

I've always wanted a BP muzzle loader and they used to be available, including pistols, off licence here, but that is now all changed. One might hold up a bank with a single shot BP muzzle loading duelling pistol!

A lot of guys here shoot 58 Calibre BPs. But there is a dedicated competition for large bore BPs which I want to check out soon.

I'd be interested in hearing, did you try reduced smokeless loads in the 458 Wn Mag?

I am looking at having a 458 Lott made up and hope to also shoot reduced Lott or Win Mag rounds in it on pigs and feral goats. So I would value hearing your experience with reduced loads.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Moss

So how do you hunt black bear in New York State? What methods do you use?

When I come to North America to hunt oneday, bear are top of my list.

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Hey guys thanks for the welcome!!

nitro3, For the 458 I downloaded to, 72gr of IMR 4350 and started working back up towards 80 gr, I was using a 405 gr jacketed SP. Although this worked ok, it wasn't what I desired for 100- 150 yds.( shorter yardage was ok) but recoil was still heavy.
You can load the 458 with a 292gr (#2 alloy) but is more in the class of plinking if there is such a class for the 458!! <LOL>
I loaded this using 64- 72 gr IMR 4064

nitro, Hunting Black bears in northern New York is great fun. Usally I still hunt cruising the edge of the mountain ledges or working high above the low lying river banks. Gray, rainy days I consintrate on the beech hardwoods knolls where I'll catch them feeding on beech nuts. ( The areas I hunt are encompassed in heavy timber & thick pine)
Blacks will run pathways or small creeks also so sitting is probally one of the best ways to nail one, they have poor eye site but their other senses make up for their bad eye site.Their not too curious so if they think something is wrong or catch a whif of you they are gone in a flash. In some parts of the U.S. and Canada (which is real close to where I live, only 70 mi. to the border) Baiting is allowed and this would be the way to go. (setting up on a bait pile allows for greater success) however where I live baiting is illegel for anything except coyotes.
Maybe if you make it to theU.S., we'll get together for a hunt.

moss

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Moss

Sorry Nitro and Nitro3 are both me. I set up 3 or 4 users (all Nitro#) to get more storage space as I want the Nitro nic to last without using up the 3 mb limit and then having to start deleting.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1202

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com