Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
jwheeler
.224 member

Reged: 18/11/07
Loc: Louisiana, USA
Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question???
      #94355 - 16/01/08 05:22 AM

For all of you Mauser collectors, here is my question. I have this Type A .318wr and the stock has been shortened to around 13". I can't shoot it like this, its way too short. I know the value is diminished somewhat by the shortening of the wood. Would it lower the value of the gun further to put a spacer on it and take it back to the original length? I can put a reproduction Mauser logo buttplate back on it. Also, if adding a spacer is okay then what should it be made of? wood to match? hard rubber?

Opinions please.

Jeff

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: jwheeler]
      #94357 - 16/01/08 05:53 AM

I can't see the bolt handle, but the scope appears to be mounted low enough that there must have been an alteration there, too. If that is the case, stock length should be of minimal importance.

I have a 7X57 Mauser built on a G33/40 action which was intended for my (then) girl friend, who accompanied me on my last trip to Africa. She decided not to hunt, and I ended up taking several head of plains game with it, myself, including a record book Peter's gazelle. The stock has about a 13" pull, and although I usually shoot with a 14 1/2" pull, I never noticed the difference. As a matter of fact, I killed a deer with it on opening day this year. Shooting with heavy clothes on made the short stock comfortable.

I realize the .318 WR has considerably more recoil than a 7X57, but you might give it a try. A trick I have used with shotguns which were stocked too short is to put my left hand out further on the foreend. Of course, that won't be much help, if you end up hitting yourself in the eyebrow with the scope.

I don't think it makes much difference what kind of spacer you use: a spacer is a spacer, but I have seen some wood spacers so cleverly matched that they were hard to detect, particularly on a straight grained butt stock, which this one appears to be.

pablo_mauser_66
.275 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Australia, Sydney
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: xausa]
      #94363 - 16/01/08 08:44 AM

I would suggest a piece of ebony similar in length the piece on the forend of the stock.
Then top it off with a nice black recoil paid to get the right amount of pull. Would be kind of unique while still maintaining some balance in the stock colours.

Disclaimer - I have no idea how much ebony cost but I reckon this would look cool.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: pablo_mauser_66]
      #94386 - 16/01/08 12:44 PM

I'm with Xausa on this one, I think that a spacer will not be asthetically pleasing.
Further I think that to get a very good wood spacer is going to be very expensive and perhaps it would be more economical to restock, duplicating the origional.
I personaly do not have an problem with re-stocked "collectors" guns if the stock has been done in keeping. For the origional could have been broken in a fall etc at any time in its life.

Regards

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: Bramble]
      #94409 - 16/01/08 05:35 PM

I'm with Bramble on the stock - after all the real value of an original Mauser is the action. Thats what they are known for after all - not their woodwork!
I would re-stock the rifle to fit you and just keep the original safe somewhere so that if you sell it the new buyer has a choice

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #94422 - 16/01/08 11:25 PM

being built generally for the english market ,it would be accepted to have a wood spacer installed and possibly a leather covered pad ,if the spacer and the original mauser logo butt go back on that would be nice but still collectors will know it has been altered at one time and to see the mauser butt pad still there would bother me anyway ,i would rathere not see it at all , maybe an extended leathere pad and save the butt for a new stock....english shotguns are always lengthened this way ...paul

bpesteve
.300 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Sunset side up
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: jwheeler]
      #94435 - 17/01/08 01:45 AM

The stock has already been cut, adding a spacer and/or thicker pad won't change the value from what it is now since they can be easily removed. A new stock will be expen$ive and still be non-original, though you can have it built to fit you the way you like.

Or you could give it to me and I'll work on being shorter...

Nice rifle!

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: bpesteve]
      #95111 - 25/01/08 05:37 AM

I have seen several British Double rifles that have had their stocks "steteched".

Using a matching wood spacer looks pretty good. The best work I have seen actually had a distinct small grooce hwere the 2 wood peices came together. I think this looked the best.

I have also seen the wood spacer and recoil pad covered with pigskin, making it look like it has a 2" recoil pad.

Also you could get a quality [like a Galco] leather slip on or lace on recoil pad.

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: NE450No2]
      #97376 - 23/02/08 11:46 PM

That's a neat rifle. Unless Holland's did it, the H&H mounts along with the shortened stock take most of the collector interest away. Its such a nice rifle and essentially a custom rifle now that I would consider having it restocked to order. It would be still be a neat rifle and as long as you didn't go with some kind of Weatherby or thumbhole stock pattern would be a nice rifle that anyone would appreciate. I would say that if you get a 'name' to restock it, the value would increase more than what its worth now, though probably not enough to recoup the wood/stocking fee.
I've seen some wod additions crafted in England that were almost undetectable from a short distance. I've seen few if any added in the US that were matched as well. Seems to be too many variables from this side, or maybe the Brits just have more experience.

WINCHESTERM21
.224 member

Reged: 03/03/08
Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: A10ACN]
      #99234 - 15/03/08 01:16 AM

Jwheeler

I can install a leather covered pad on it for you for 275.00, I can do 1" or 1 1/4 thick pads, and they are beautiful!

I also have a WR 318 that has a factory checkered butt that is 13 1/2 LOP, short must have been popular with the 318's

Shawn Massey
www.masseysfineguns.com

--------------------
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: WINCHESTERM21]
      #99241 - 15/03/08 02:31 AM

Since you are brainstorming.

What about both?

If there is the slightest bit of chance that you may want to allow a shorter person {wife, kids, etc} to use the rifle maybe take the "lemon" {it isn't, but you get the point...} and make lemonade?

I have read of and seen a picture of, but not handled, rifles with two buttplate/recoil pad setups, easily switched. A rifle already "too short" would be the perfect candidate for such a mod. I am not sure what sort of hardware is installed but there is an arrangement that allows the recoil pad to be switched without marring it.

Just an idea, but who knows, you may never have another rifle that could do such double-duty.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Texraid
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: N. Kentucky, USA
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #99554 - 19/03/08 02:03 AM

Here is a possible solution. I've seen them on rifles and they don't look too bad. You also can order spacers of different thicknesses.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: Oberndorf Mauser Type A .318wr Collectors Question??? [Re: Texraid]
      #99671 - 19/03/08 08:43 PM

Yes, 13 inches is a bit short but, as I recall, some military M98 Mausers weren't much longer than that and standard sporters are often only 5/8 inch longer.

This might be a bit old-hat and boring but what if you kept the rifle for shorter people and stick one of those old slip-on pads over top of the existing one when you need to use it? Still too short? Try a quarter-inch strip of rubber inside the slip-on as well. The slip-on pad's side rubber would at least help protect the stock when out hunting.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4952

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com