Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: nice vintage 8 bore

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
nice vintage 8 bore
      #94109 - 12/01/08 02:13 PM

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1057

Quote:

Josef Just in Ferlach, Austria: An 8 Bore Paradox Made in 1925 as a single bore with a Jones Style Underlever with rebounding hammer on the right back lock. It has a 1/2 round and 1/2 octagon barrel with an integral front ramp and 1 standing rear sight. The bore of this gun .880" from throat to the paradox choke, the 6 groove paradox choke is 4" long with a bore size of .852" and a groove of .872" and the chamber is 3" long at .915" with a rim diameter of 1.034". The piece comes out at 11 lbs. 15 oz., has 65% coverage of scroll engraving and retains 75% original case colors. The bore on this gun is as new and it overall is a 90-92% gun. It has a set trigger, cheekpiece for the right hand and 14 1/2" LOP over a pad. The markings are J. Just and Ferlach Austria.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: 500grains]
      #94135 - 12/01/08 11:16 PM

Rock my world!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: CptCurl]
      #94146 - 13/01/08 04:45 AM

Nice looking gun!

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: CptCurl]
      #94149 - 13/01/08 05:54 AM

Quote:

Rock my world!

Curl

Let's keep it clean now.

Omnivorous_Bob
.333 member

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Montana
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: ]
      #94152 - 13/01/08 07:06 AM

There was a Josef Just single paradox 8 on one of the auction sites repeatedly about 2 years about for $4000 or $4500 and it took a while to sell. It didn't look this nice though as I recall.

Also, I've never seen a single with a dolls head! One of the very few rules I've learned about old guns is to never say never. Very interesting.

Bob

--------------------
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: Omnivorous_Bob]
      #94161 - 13/01/08 08:29 AM

I'd be curious to know the intended use of such a gun built in 1925.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: 9.3x57]
      #94245 - 14/01/08 10:41 PM

Well they really only have one use....!
(...or two, if you count rhino!)

I remember seeing a doll's head on an equatorial rifle (12-bore single) years ago, but no others. Sadly, big singles like this do not turn up very often in my part of the world.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: Marrakai]
      #94275 - 15/01/08 06:45 AM

Simply breathtakingly beautiful.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: DarylS]
      #94304 - 15/01/08 01:26 PM

There are 470's that weigh that much. Which would you rather have to hunt Ele or Buff with?

PS: I'll take the single shot.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94320 - 15/01/08 04:35 PM

Quote:

Pole vaulting!

9.3x57
.450 member

#94339 - 16/01/08 12:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pole vaulting!

C'mon, nobody else is straining to think who had this thing built and what for, where, etc?

In 1925, an 8-bore Paradox? Austrian to-boot? I'd love to know who had it built, where it was headed, if it ever got there, what it shot {and what it didn't...}, why it is in great shape as opposed to used hard, etc.

Smith and Wesson offers a service to research or "letter" their revolvers and while most of the time the info gained is pretty boring stuff, sometimes the "shipped to" portion reveals an interesting story. I think this thing has a story, at least during its "commissioning".

Those of you who are knowledgeable about these things, isn't an Austrian 8 ga jungle gun a bit of an oddity as made in 1925?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#94358 - 16/01/08 05:56 AM

9.3x57- I think this rifle is the result of someone displaying their workmanship alone - nothing more. It was not built for a specific animal at that stage of the game, in 1925, I mean. It is a "Look what I built" type of gun. it is a masterpiece - workmanship thought dead after 1910 - but still alive. I love it.

--------------------
Daryl

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: DarylS]
      #94702 - 19/01/08 01:59 PM

So...., what? No elephants were shot by Europeans in 1925?

C'mon guys!

--------------------
Marrakai

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: Marrakai]
      #94734 - 20/01/08 12:46 AM

Quote:

So...., what? No elephants were shot by Europeans in 1925?

C'mon guys!

To the contrary, lots of elephant available, just seems like an interesting, semi-obsolescent gun at that stage of the game, when many other NE's were available in single and double barrel configurations. Very heavy ammo, etc. Or maybe the quarry wasn't elephant at all? In the absence of the story we really don't know.

My point is I am just wondering why a fellow would have chosen this particular gun in this particular chambering. All guns have "stories" and I bet the story that goes with this one is rather interesting.

--------------------

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: 9.3x57]
      #95751 - 02/02/08 06:02 AM

Hard to believe that some guys are using this site, and don't know much about the history behind bore (gauge) rifles, and some even think that paradox guns are bore (gauge) guns, astounding! Paradox guns are rifled only near muzzle, and are, overall, much lighter in weight than bore rifles. Bore or gauge rifles were rifled full length, and were intended for considerably different use than paradox guns. Bore guns were true rifles; not paradox-like at all. Anyway, such bore rifles, and it doesn't matter if they were made in Britain, in Germany, or in any other country, they were all similar and intended for same purpose: For hunting/killing of big animals in Africa. Yes, they were intended for killing the big animals of Africa, and were the only type of "guns" intended for that purpose, for no other "gun" would provide same level of killing power, prior to the development of the nitro expresses. Eventually, of course, the nitro expresses overshadowed the bore (gauge) rifles, and they became something of an antique.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #95752 - 02/02/08 06:15 AM

You're missing the point - if NE rifles had already been around for over a quarter of a century, who had this one built for them in 1925 and why? Was it just to show off the gun makers art, or for a retro-style hunt, or was the owner just someone who didn't believe in the new-fangled NE powders... who knows?
Inferring insults won't help anyone find out though..... especially as I'm pretty sure everyone in the above thread knows what a paradox is (pun intended)

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #95779 - 02/02/08 02:04 PM

Quote:

Hard to believe that some guys are using this site, and don't know much about the history

DRJ:
10 and 8-bore Paradox guns were intended only for big game such as elephant and rhino, maybe buffalo. How is this a different purpose from a bore-gun?

Go take a look at the H&H catalogue on this site, check the Paradox pages, particularly p32, titled "10-Bore Nitro 'Paradox' Guns: For elephant, rhinoceros, bison, and other kinds of large game".

http://www.huntershouse.dk/files/HHolland/holland-holland-katalog.pdf

Of the 10-bore Paradox
Quote:

It is quite as powerful a weapon as most 8-bore rifles...

--------------------
Marrakai

DarylS
.700 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: Marrakai]
      #95998 - 05/02/08 04:15 AM

We ALL know that the bore rifles were originally made for the dangerous game of Africa. What we are asking, is why, in 1925, was an 8 bore single shot rifle made? Did someone want to step back in time and shoot an elephant or rhino or buffalo with what then was an obsolete single shot rifle of a bygone era or was this gun made as I suggested - a work of art and something to have and to shoot at leisure.
; Asking questions in type, is sometimes very difficult as apparently the understanding part is sometimes hazy.

--------------------
Daryl

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: DarylS]
      #96008 - 05/02/08 05:43 AM

Maybe somewhere there was a primitive weapons only season for elephant in 1925

Marrakai
.416 member

#96032 - 05/02/08 10:33 PM

So in a few years time, when SAUMs and WSSMs etc have been around for 15 years or so, nobody is ever going to order a .30-06 again? ...and the Blah-zer will have relegated the 98 Mauser to the scrap-heap? Hmmm, perhaps not.

1925 was only 15 to 20 years after the mainstream acceptance of most of the big NE cartridges, and half that period was 'wasted' on the Great War. More than 80 years have passed since then. Those who were raised on the ULH Express would have still been alive and well, ordering new guns, and hunting, in 1925. I think it is probably a little difficult to put that time-frame into proper perspective today.

Anyone know when Hollands made their last 8-bore Paradox? Bet it was this side of 1925.

And BTW, that 8-bore is very nice indeed but it is hardly an exhibition gun. Looks like a good-quality European working rifle to me, although it certainly hasn't done much work!

--------------------
Marrakai

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#96033 - 05/02/08 11:49 PM

IMHO I'm not sure that the difference between a 30-06 and a short magnum is really comparable to that between an 8-bore paradox and a NE rifle. Neither is choosing one style of bolt action over another.

It is a perfectly valid point that the original owner buying this paradox may have done so out of familiarity or preference for a time-proven technology, but that is not disimilar to the hunter who chooses a bow or muzzloader over a rifle out of choice rather than necessity.

Yes it is difficult to put the time-frame into proper perspective today, except for the fact that most of Europe had seen alot of conflict and the rapid development of military bolt action rifles even prior to WW1. In 1925, after WW1, I am pretty sure that most able bodied men in Europe would have been familiar with the idea that rifle technology had already moved on.

All in all though, none of this alters the fact that the rifle was still most probably intended for hunting.......

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #96037 - 06/02/08 01:29 AM

Maybe it was a fellow of modest means who had an opportunity to hunt Africa or India and this rifle was an affordable and practical choice.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #96043 - 06/02/08 02:50 AM

Marrakai,
The last Holland 10 paradox ( .805 vs .835 for an 8 ) was made in 1929 and was one of the last 2 or 3 paradox guns made untill recently. Eventhough the 10 had a nitro load in '29 the ballistics were the same as the 1890's 8 dram black powder load. It would be interesting to know who the gun was made for and where it went off to. I recall reading about one Hollad 8 single that was made for a family that had coffee and sugar holdings and they wanted the gun for protection against DG when checking the crops and used it for that well past the 30's.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

DarylS
.700 member

#96046 - 06/02/08 03:30 AM

Quote:

So in a few years time, when SAUMs and WSSMs etc have been around for 15 years or so, nobody is ever going to order a .30-06 again? ...and the Blah-zer will have relegated the 98 Mauser to the scrap-heap? Hmmm, perhaps not.

1925 was only 15 to 20 years after the mainstream acceptance of most of the big NE cartridges, and half that period was 'wasted' on the Great War. More than 80 years have passed since then. Those who were raised on the ULH Express would have still been alive and well, ordering new guns, and hunting, in 1925. I think it is probably a little difficult to put that time-frame into proper perspective today.

Anyone know when Hollands made their last 8-bore Paradox? Bet it was this side of 1925.

And BTW, that 8-bore is very nice indeed but it is hardly an exhibition gun. Looks like a good-quality European working rifle to me, although it certainly hasn't done much work! [/quote

: Could be - but that comparrison wouldn't be valid.
; The comparrison could be made in changing from the current line of modern smokeless rifles to lazers or some other method of 'firing' a 'gun', were that to happen & become popular for 30 years, including a world war that displayed the the use and superiority of the 'new' weapon's fire-power.

--------------------
Daryl

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #96244 - 08/02/08 04:50 AM

The company is still in business:
http://www.jagdwaffen-just.at/
Maybe they even have the old records?

This gun might have been built as a showpiece, but I do not think so. Why put valuable effort into something that has no real market any more?
One might also think about a "master piece", required by the European guild system to become a master gunsmith. Same question, a yourneyman would rather put his money into something that can be sold if needed. Also the piece should bear his name then, and not the company name.

I think the gun was made to order for a rather wealthy and conservative customer. Bear in mind that before WWI black powder express cartridges were still widely used and perfected. Many hunters did not trust small caliber jacketed bullets and smokeless powders, especially in break-action rifles.
Intended use - who knows? Maybe Africa, maybe bear hunting in the Carpathian mountains?

Fuhrmann

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: fuhrmann]
      #96246 - 08/02/08 07:00 AM

fuhrmann

I agree.

What people seem to forget is the companies were in the business of building guns, either for stock or for customer orders.

If someone walked in with money and ordered a gun, regardless if it was out of date at that time, if they had the capabilities to do it they would, after all, it's still profit.

Plenty of people ordered Hammer guns (Shotguns and Rifles) after the Hammerless gun was perfected - Sidelock or Boxlock.

fuhrmann
.333 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: 500Nitro]
      #96261 - 08/02/08 09:31 AM

Still the same.
Look here, for example: http://www.wutti-jagdwaffen.at/
btw, I love that style.
As long as he pays for, the customer is king and gets what he wants.

Fuhrmann

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: gatsby]
      #97367 - 23/02/08 05:32 PM

Quote:

Marrakai,
The last Holland 10 paradox ( .805 vs .835 for an 8 ) was made in 1929 and was one of the last 2 or 3 paradox guns made untill recently. Eventhough the 10 had a nitro load in '29 the ballistics were the same as the 1890's 8 dram black powder load. It would be interesting to know who the gun was made for and where it went off to. I recall reading about one Hollad 8 single that was made for a family that had coffee and sugar holdings and they wanted the gun for protection against DG when checking the crops and used it for that well past the 30's.

Gatsby

Any chance you know what the 10 bore nitro loading was for that rifle?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: mickey]
      #97368 - 23/02/08 06:53 PM

Gatsby

Mickey,
The standard 10 bore nitro load was 55 grains of revolver cordite and 920 grain bullet. I can only assume that was the load for that particular gun. There were a few odd variations in ignition and loads being used by Holland in some of their last 12 bore pdxes, to what end I am not sure, so there is always a possibility the same might apply with the 10's.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Edited by gatsby (24/02/08 02:47 AM)

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #97370 - 23/02/08 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Marrakai,

Gatsby

Mickey!!

Read the .775 Rigby artical from Gun Digest 1996....any 10 bore affectionado ought to read it twice a day..I still do.

gatsby
.375 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: rigbymauser]
      #97386 - 24/02/08 02:36 AM

RM,
I would love to read the article but where do you find a 1996 Gun Digest? Who authored the article?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#97392 - 24/02/08 03:54 AM

Doesn't everyone have issues 1968 through to 2007 in their libraries?
: Ha! - I have to admit, I stopped buying them in around '98 or so, but have the rest back to '70.

--------------------
Daryl

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
      #97425 - 24/02/08 07:08 AM

Quote:

RM,
I would love to read the article but where do you find a 1996 Gun Digest? Who authored the article?

The artical is called: " Its a 775 Rigby". Its found on page 136. The author is Jim Dickson.
Its a 4 page artical that makes any bigborerifleman would drool.

You can find use GunDigests on www.abebooks.com

If everything goes wrong I woulf be happy to copy it for you or perhaps have someone to photoscan the artical and put it on here..

Edited by rigbymauser (21/03/08 07:35 PM)

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: rigbymauser]
      #98276 - 04/03/08 05:58 AM

The germans and austrian often build unusual an "strange" guns when they attend their masterletter as an gunsmith. But they are still building hammer singles,drillings,fierlings and funflings today but probably an 10 bore would only be built after order. They have a realy long tradition building the stranges guns, just check out the Karl Hauptman guns att holts. And they are almost ordinary rifles in germany, that will say when you got the money to by from a gunsmith.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: nice vintage 8 bore; INTENDED USE [Re: 450_366]
      #98284 - 04/03/08 08:31 AM

Quote:

The germans and austrian often build unusual an "strange" guns when they attend their masterletter as an gunsmith. But they are still building hammer singles,drillings,fierlings and funflings today but probably an 10 bore would only be built after order. They have a realy long tradition building the stranges guns, just check out the Karl Hauptman guns att holts. And they are almost ordinary rifles in germany, that will say when you got the money to by from a gunsmith.

'
; Andreas - this was the point of my second post.

Quote:

9.3x57- I think this rifle is the result of someone displaying their workmanship alone - nothing more. It was not built for a specific animal at that stage of the game, in 1925, I mean. It is a "Look what I built" type of gun. it is a masterpiece - workmanship thought dead after 1910 - but still alive. I love it.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#98286 - 04/03/08 08:34 AM

Andreas and Daryl;

Thanks for the theories.

I'm very inclined to agree with the both of you.

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#98437 - 06/03/08 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

'
; Andreas - this was the point of my second post.

Quote:

Sorry, will blame my bad english.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

fuhrmann
.333 member

#98447 - 06/03/08 03:18 AM

Quote:

Even today great gunsmiths in Austria make a living by building "oldfashioned" guns.
But they are often chambered for the most modern cartridges!
That's what the wealthy customer wants.
So, a masterpiece or an exhibition piece will probably not be done in an oldfashioned or obsolete caliber.

Fuhrmann

450_366
.400 member

#98455 - 06/03/08 05:24 AM

Even today great gunsmiths in Austria make a living by building "oldfashioned" guns.
But they are often chambered for the most modern cartridges!
That's what the wealthy customer wants.
So, a masterpiece or an exhibition piece will probably not be done in an oldfashioned or obsolete caliber.

Fuhrmann

I would if i was wealthy.

--------------------
Andreas

DarylS
.700 member

#98462 - 06/03/08 06:58 AM

My take on this, is that in 1925, the 8 bore wasn't that far out of the realm of 'modern'. Such a large gun gives a much more broad canvas to show one's expertise. the same size gun would have been laughed at, if in a typical 'modern' round of the day(1925).
: I do not believe this gun was made for any particular customer - merely 'look what I did' - or 'THIS is what I can do'!

--------------------
Daryl

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: 500grains]
      #99853 - 21/03/08 11:02 AM

Surprised this hasn't moved yet.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #99863 - 21/03/08 12:42 PM

I've seen UL 8 bore single shotguns for sale at what seem reasonable prices. How about rebarreling to a rifle? You could end up with a gun very similar to this with the original shotty barrel in reserve.
http://www.micksguns.com/antique%20guns.htm
The Chas H. Maleham would be just the ticket.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Edited by Huvius (21/03/08 12:52 PM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: nice vintage 8 bore [Re: Huvius]
      #99865 - 21/03/08 01:01 PM

Just noticed Mick has an H&H double paradox too! 6000GBP which is just a couple ticks more than the J. Just on this thread.
Don't know what he means by "smoothbore paradox" though.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

gatsby
.375 member

#99877 - 21/03/08 05:05 PM

Gatsby

Mickey
Re: The last 10 paradox: Futher research would indicate that paradox never left the factory with the rifled choke barrels.

Huvius
Re: Smooth bore paradox: A paradox with the choke rifling removed or a round ball gun and not a paradox at all, probably the former

--------------------

Edited by gatsby (21/03/08 05:08 PM)

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #100073 - 23/03/08 03:03 PM

Now that is a powerful firearm.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10546

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com