Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures*

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
tkv000
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/08
Loc: Canada
Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures*
      #93507 - 05/01/08 02:38 PM

I don't know much about Mausers yet, (This is my second one, still waiting for the mauser books I ordered off amazon.com) But I know what I like, and I had to have this one, The tag said it was a Mauser Model 1908 Custom, if anyone can give me some info that'd be great! Anywho, heres what I know:

Has an Octagon barrel, approximately 18" (Not sure how to 'properly' measure a barrel just yet)
OAL: 41.5"
Butter knife bolt handle (was on my list to have on my next rifle, so bonus!)
Burris 4x scope
Nice looking scope mounts
Full length stock
VERY nice trigger pull
Caliber: 7x57
Much lighter than I though it would be with the octagon barrel and full stock.
Nice trigger guard
Cheek piece (A must for me, I just love em)

Anyway, enough of that, heres the pictures!

(Oh, and it came with this custom box, its fairly nice to boot.)

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rusty_Marlin
.224 member

Reged: 06/07/07
Loc: Northern Neck Va.
Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: tkv000]
      #93515 - 05/01/08 03:23 PM

Well , well, well. Its that pretty!
Love the scallops on the bottom metal.

The only question I have is why Mr. Hansen used a long tail firing pin with a short cocking piece?
The 08's use a short cocking piece to start with so he would have had to find a long tailed version off a commercial rifle. It doesn't matter one whit, the rifle is simply georgous, but is one of those things that says, "HI, did ya notice me."

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: Rusty_Marlin]
      #93521 - 05/01/08 03:52 PM

I obviously have much to learn, I assume thats the button sticking out of the rear of the bolt (I did notice it stuck out farther than my Kar 98 sporter I just purchased), I`m not sure if Mr. Hansen built the rifle or just the box, I bought it consignment at my favorite gun store. This one has a hinged drop box magazine unlike my Kar 98, that your put a bullet in to pop open then you get a handful of shells and a mag plate and spring, I sure like the hinged floor plate better (Did I mention I`m new at the Mauser stuff...)

--------------------
"…and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him,"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #93522 - 05/01/08 04:10 PM

tkv000,

You do know enough about Mausers to pick a fantastic rifle that many would seriously envy! Whoever built this rifle, it is very, very nice.

Good hunting and don't forget to post hunting pics of it as well as of your other Mauser!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #93528 - 05/01/08 04:35 PM

The other mausers a beater, I wanted to buy something to learn on, things like general disassembly, trigger replacement, perhaps some light metal work, change out a few parts, and I didn't want to do that with my Brno or other rifles, its a 30.06, thought that was a good caliber for test purposes, aw what the heck, Ill put up some photos, please remember, I haven't done ANYTHING to it yet, this is how I bought it, Id like to smooth out some of the rough edges. Though it shoots really really well.

I dont know what any of the other marking mean (still waiting for them books!) but I really like the font (is that the correct term on a rifle?) that the KAR 98 is written in.

--------------------

tkv000
.300 member

#93530 - 05/01/08 04:44 PM

Oh, and my buddy says that its missing the locking screws in the bottem, and I think the stock is homemade, its decent, so I may try my hand at sanding it down, doing some amature checkering, and a refinish, like I said, its a learning rifle.

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #93591 - 06/01/08 09:05 AM

Very nice. You can be proud of that first one particualy. I do like butterknife bolt handles.

Regards

NorthernBob
.224 member

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Northern Alberta
Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: Bramble]
      #93606 - 06/01/08 10:55 AM

That is first one is a beauty! Put me in the group of many that would seriously envy it. Did you find it in the Yukon? I was in Whitehorse a few years ago and don't recall seeing a good gun shop.

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: NorthernBob]
      #93616 - 06/01/08 12:13 PM

Some more pics now that I`ve figured out my macro button on my camera

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #93640 - 06/01/08 05:09 PM

Trev,

Your "beater" also looks very nice. The full stock rifle is exquisite, of course. With Marilyn Monroe on one arm and Keira Knightley on the other, so to say!

Thanks for posting the additional pictures and very good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

wellplugger
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: So. East Texas
Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #93798 - 08/01/08 03:52 AM

I can't get pictures to load. I don't even see the avatar's any more. I have checked everything I can think of and even had my IT guy work on it. No success. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.................Lee

tkv000
.300 member

#93880 - 09/01/08 02:45 AM

Well I found out some information about the 1908 Mauser today, I posted this exact thread in another Canadian forum and low and behold, someone there knew the guy who built it, heres his reply:

The entire rifle was built by Kurt Hansen. He lived up here for many years and spent most of his time on Frances Lake, as well as in Faro. He was not a professional gunsmith, trapped mostly, but really enjoyed working on and building guns. His home on Frances Lake is now a tourist resort.

Now get this, the octagon barrel was done during one winter in the bush, entirley by hand, no machines at all! I well remember when he brought it to town in late Spring. He had it at the shop of one of the members here, Klondike Bob, and it was still in the white. Perhaps he will chime in here about this rifle, as well.

Kurt draw-filed the entire barrel and finished it with stones and emery cloth. He also did all of the action work.

This was just one of his projects. You should see the 98 Mauser he converted to a SQUARE BRIDGE!

Ted

Needless to say, I'm excited to know more about it than I did when I purchased it.

--------------------

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #93886 - 09/01/08 07:11 AM

I love both your mausers. Is the furniture on your 'beater' a variety of maple ? I'm not familiar with Canadian woods so pardon my ignorance.

Edited by tophet1 (09/01/08 07:12 AM)

tkv000
.300 member

Re: Mauser 1908 - Just Purchased *Lots of Pictures* [Re: tophet1]
      #93887 - 09/01/08 07:28 AM

Yeah, I think so, to be honest I'm not really sure, The guy I bought it off said the guy he bought it off made it, I would say its just above medium for hardness, it doesn't ding easy, but it does ding. I didn't know if I would like the blond stock, but it was a good deal and its kind of grown on me.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3655

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com