Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
"2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown
      #93833 - 08/01/08 12:03 PM

Hi,

Any opinion on this DVD?

http://bundukipublishing.com/2006sym.htm

Im intereted in buy it but would like to know your oppinion.

Thanks
Martin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: "2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown [Re: beleg2]
      #93864 - 08/01/08 11:22 PM

Only $20 delivered to Oz.

I'll let you know when it arrives!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: "2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown [Re: Marrakai]
      #94676 - 19/01/08 10:26 AM

I just ordered one also.

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: "2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown [Re: buckbrush]
      #94694 - 19/01/08 01:14 PM

Just watched it last night. Bit disappointed initially, but bear with me.

Criticisms:
1. Filmed outside, initially under a bunch of leafy trees on a breezy day, without a noise-reduction microphone. I resisted the temptation to eject the disk and pelt it into the nearest trash-can, and eventually the breeze dropped and later sessions were OK.

2. The level of expertise was not what I expected, being a bunch of good ol'boys in bib'n'brace denim shooting the breeze. I expected some considerable increase in experience from Ellis Brown since he wrote the book, but none was forthcoming. He kept dragging out the same old stuff photographed in his book (pre-1998!). Even admitted he had never re-regulated an existing double! Still talking about the blackie he shot with the .450 pictured in the book. Anything since?

3. The filming was not the best. When an item was passed around, the cameraman was slow to zoom in and usually missed the point. At one stage, he must have slipped and we are left looking at Ellis Browns shoes for several seconds! It's very basic amateur home video: dogs are barking, the wind is blowing, and for a long while there it sounded like the camera-man was continuously snapping twigs behind-shot.

Look, there's more, but it is what it is. Its not an instructional video, very little 'how to' of value to a potential builder. No staged close-ups to illustrate points, no shop-work at all, no vision of work-shop set-ups etc. The only tools shown are the clunky muzzle-tweaker and the home-made concave rib-roller illustrated in his book nearlt 10 years ago (of course, everyone else just cuts a tapered sliver out of the side of a length of 2-inch steel pipe to make concave ribs for DRs).

OK, now the plus side.
After initial frustration, I finally appreciated that this was not a formal Symposium but just a bunch of guys chewing the fat, and I really got into it. In the end, I would have to say it was an enjoyable session, although I almost choked on my shiraz a couple of times at what was suggested. Very entertaining in the end, and I would have to say its probably worth the money to join these guys in an interesting chin-wag about building DRs in a part of the world where such things are probably regarded as witchcraft by the general gun-owning populace.

--------------------
Marrakai

beleg2
.375 member

#94704 - 19/01/08 02:10 PM

Marrakai,
Thanks for taking the time (and the money) to get and see the DVD.
From your post is more an entretaning DVD with not much to lern that is not in his book. Am I right?
What about "Included with this DVD is a here-to-for unpublished "Regulation Rule of Thumb" - a guideline for spacing barrels during the regulation process."?
I was looking for some guide step by step or some tricks on regulation.
Thanks
Martin

Marrakai
.416 member

Re: "2006 Double Rifle Builders Symposium DVD" by E.Brown [Re: beleg2]
      #94714 - 19/01/08 04:49 PM

Yes, the 'rule-of-thumb' was included, but EB even admits on the vid that he usually just guesses and 'gets a feel' for the correct amount of adjustment.

He explained that he bores the chambers parallel, as is required of course to make them perpendicular with the breech-face, then pulls the barrels together close to final convergence before welding in the fore-end loop. Only minor adjustments are then needed at the muzzles during regulation.

If you follow that method, then his 'rule of thumb' measurements may work. If you keep the barrels parallel right up to the loop, and converge from there to the muzzles, stands to reason you would probably need a different set of measurements.

BTW, EB discounts the latter method because he believes the muzzles would unsolder and spring apart at some later date. With rolled sheet-metal ribs, he's probably right!

--------------------
Marrakai

beleg2
.375 member

#94724 - 19/01/08 10:36 PM

Thanks again Marrakai.
BTW: Is there any other book dealing with double rofle making?

Thanks
Martin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 656

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com