Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
tmskislc
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/07
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips?
      #93611 - 06/01/08 11:42 AM

Went out shooting my new Chapuis .470 N.E. double rifle today and although the gun shot beautifully off the bench, I did not freehand. After seeing how poorly I shot freehand today, I am figuring that it will take a lot of shooting to be ready for Safari. I started at 25 yards and my groups standing up freehand extended to 8" with most in a 4"x4" box. From the bench, all but one were in the bullseye box. Next I went to 50 yards and fired two more rounds from the bench and they were just under 3/4" apart, which I was extremely happy with because I know double rifles are not the most accurate guns around and the rifle is definitely ready for safari once I catch up to it. Next, I put snap caps in and fired many rounds at the target. At first I was dropping the barrel after each shot which I figure explains why all my freehand shots where going low. After a while, I was able to hold the gun on target after pulling the trigger and was developing good follow through. I was wondering if anybody who shoots them a lot may have some additional tips on freehand shooting that may help me to improve my form or my shooting of double rifles? I am taking photos of my targets to keep on my computer so I can monitor improvement as I go forward. I just got reloading dies and will be reloading so I can afford to shoot more. I figured on shooting at least 500 rounds before safari, but now I am thinking more on the line of 1000 rounds prior. I always hear about using the formed lead bullets for practice. I do not know anything about them. Is this the best idea or would it be better to use the same bullets and load weights that I will hunt with? I found them for a fairly decent price and could afford to load them, but I know the others are much cheaper. Last, can anybody suggest an average freehand consistent group size that would be acceptable at 50 yards and 100 yards to be ready to hunt dangerous game.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: tmskislc]
      #93621 - 06/01/08 12:34 PM

I can't really offer any words of wisdom or tips on technique as I would never shoot a heavy double or actually a heavy anything at 100yds offhand with irons. In fact I would be hardpressed to comfortably take a shot at 50yds offhand with irons. At 25yds with irons I can put everything within a 3" red target spot. I wear trifocals and just plain cannot see well enough to do better. Is this good enough, I don't really know, I don't really own irons so can't say. All my big bores are bolt guns and all have scopes, the irons on them are set at 25yds, but I've never really considered using them and have never practiced with them. Only all Irons gun I have owned was my 470NE and I took one Elephant with it within 25yds. I hit it where I aimed and it died as it should have. Next one was with a scoped 416Rigby from about the same distancce with the same results. I wish you good success and good hunting.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: zimhunter]
      #93662 - 07/01/08 12:42 AM

In my opinion, the very best option for improving your free hand shooting with your double, or any other rifle, is to buy a 22lr with sights close to express sights. I have a winchester lever action 94-22 that has sights close enough for the prupose. Shoot 100 round of 22 at a range session and finish up with ten or twenty 470's or more if your in the mood. Less pounding, less expense, more practice.

You could shoot more 22 but ussually after about 100 rounds a session, my concentration is waivering and so I stop. Some days I shoot more, a few I shoot less.

Frequency of practice makes a difference for me, and if I can keep it to at least once a week for a couple of months before a trip it seems to work best.

I would start at 25yds and work to 50 after "warming up."

Using this technique, my off hand open sight shooting improved considerably.

Edited to add that after a month or so of this practice regime, I needed to shoot only at 50 yds to see if I was shooting well or not since 25yds was too close.

Also, if you work so that you're shooting a light and barrel light 22 well off hand, switching to a heavier and barrel weighted big double that is really easier to shoot is a relief and your ten or twenty or so rounds with your double should be your best of the day.

BTW, I find the "Shoot and See" targets best for the 22's since you can see the group develop. I like the one with multiple 2" os so bulls so that I could shoot 50 or so rounds without having to switch targets. I shot about 15 or so, whatever the 22 mag holds, at each bull, trying to obliterate it. You sure can see when you've pulled one since it stands out in neon.

Good luck,

JPK

Edited by JPK (07/01/08 12:57 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: JPK]
      #93676 - 07/01/08 01:56 AM

Quote:

In my opinion, the very best option for improving your free hand shooting with your double, or any other rifle, is to buy a 22lr with sights close to express sights. I have a winchester lever action 94-22 that has sights close enough for the prupose. Shoot 100 round of 22 at a range session and finish up with ten or twenty 470's or more if your in the mood. Less pounding, less expense, more practice.

You could shoot more 22 but ussually after about 100 rounds a session, my concentration is waivering and so I stop. Some days I shoot more, a few I shoot less.

Frequency of practice makes a difference for me, and if I can keep it to at least once a week for a couple of months before a trip it seems to work best.

I JPK

Excellent advice--I shoot a Marlin 22 lever with iron sights as well as a Ruger 22 mag--makes for great off hand practice and its cheap..and a lot of fun to boot..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: Ripp]
      #93740 - 07/01/08 02:39 PM

Sinner,

I am the only one, recently, to have posted about shooting a 22 to learn to shoot off hand better. Read Ripp's post, or review the post here and on other threads and confirm this yourself.

No one learned to shoot shooting a 470. Not you, not me - no one. To pretend otherwise is just ignorant and absurd.

I don't doubt that you have shot enough big bore rounds to "fill a house", so have I, so what. Reread my post, I asked when was the last time you shot 120 rounds of 470, or any equivelent cartridge so far as recoil is concerned, IN ONE SESSION. Don't BS me and other with the "fill a house" in a lifetime red herring. That isn't the issue and not the point.

It takes time to shoot enough big bore ammo to "fill a house". I takes no time to do the same with the 22, and that is the point.

And again, reread my post, I never said that shooting a 22 will prepare you for shooting your double rifle, I said that shooting the rifle you will hunt with will prepare you for your hunt. And I said shooting a 22lr will teach you to shoot well off hand, with a double or any other rifle.

If you don't know your trigger, you will never shoot well, even with a shotgun. Knowing when your rifle or shotgun will fire in critical to hitting any target. Most of us have struggled with a rifle or shotgun with heavy or gritty triggers, this is just an indication of how critical triggers, and knowing them, are. No man can hold a bull off hand with 100% consistency, all will woble, even if just a bit as our heart beats. Knowing when the rifle will fire is the only asurance that the round goes where intended if any distance is involved.

So far as learning to shooting a double rifle with a shotgun, I never said that either, I inferred that loading and handling are so similar that familiarity and proficiency with one leads the same with the other. If you shoot an ejector SxS rifle and an ejector SxS shotgun you will know both, likewise an extractor. If you load from a belt with a shotgun and do the same with a double rifle it will be second nature. "No" big bore rifle is shot the volume a shotgun is. I'll stand by my comments. Same with knowing your two triggers, which most here do not grow up with.

So far as dynamic shooting, you will never learn that at a rifle range. Opportunities to shoot moving targets with a rifle are thin, not so with a shotgun. I am a firm believer and practicioner of shooting a double rifle like a shotgun when the game is close and moving. Of course, this only works if your rifle fits you as it should, wiht the sights aligned when you mount the rifle. Mounting is also the same as the shotgun, and so the benefit of easy, inexpensive, fun, high volume practice with a SxS shotgun.

JPK

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
      #93758 - 07/01/08 04:06 PM

tmskislc,

Get out and burn those barrels out! Barrel makers have to eat to. Losts and lots of shooting will make you better. Try snap shooting.

Dont know what kind of condition you are in however I would recommend working out with a medicine ball and do ball slams, wall ball and squats with the medicine ball. Sit ups, push ups, running, etc will help. This will build your core strength and allow you to hold the gun better when you are tired. This will come in handy if you are walking a long way on Safari.

Check out some of the videos on: www.Crossfit.com

Corbin

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: 1980E26]
      #93766 - 07/01/08 07:59 PM

I am also convinced that shooting many rounds with a .22 is about the best way to improve my shooting skills but since we in Germany have to go to a shooting range which is usually open only at the weekends and then often crowded, I aquired a Diana air rifle and had a gunsmith put the same open sights on it as on my DG rifle. Now I can practice almost for free in my appartment, shooting off-hand, kneeling, snap-shots and all.
Just another option to shoot as much as possible.

Kalunga

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: Kalunga]
      #93777 - 07/01/08 09:38 PM

I second the .22 Training.
You need much shooting to make sight picture automatic.
Im just finished a little La Francotte .22 rifle for my son Nico to lern to shoot and for me to train.
Thanks
Martin

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: beleg2]
      #93783 - 07/01/08 11:26 PM

I am hunting about for a 20 gauge SXS to retrofit express sights.

Interesting project.If the gun will shoot slugs it may be a great learning platform for a Double.

Talk and good intentions are cheap though.Anyone have suggestions on a base 20 gauge SXS shotty to purchase for this project??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #93786 - 08/01/08 12:27 AM

hoppdoc

try the cz line of sxs
it is a huglu shotgun off course, but they are very good for the price.

regards

peter

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #93789 - 08/01/08 12:56 AM

Quote:

I am hunting about for a 20 gauge SXS to retrofit express sights.

Interesting project.If the gun will shoot slugs it may be a great learning platform for a Double.

Talk and good intentions are cheap though.Anyone have suggestions on a base 20 gauge SXS shotty to purchase for this project??

Hoppdoc,

You could get a Stoeger as well--alot of people use them in cowboy action shooting out here--
I have been using a double 10 gauge as well as it weighs very similar to my .470--however way too expensive to shoot a lot--agree--I am actually looking for a double 12 gauge for the same purpose..

If you remember we had a similar discussion on this when you were looking for a gun for your son to get used too

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

tmskislc
.224 member

Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: Ripp]
      #93800 - 08/01/08 04:12 AM

I never even though about shooting an open sighted .22 to practice with. Great suggestion. I will add that to my shooting regiment along with the snap caps in the .470 and follow up with some live rounds and see how it goes. Do they make any side by side .22's that anybody knows of? Would make for a pretty fun little rifle.

--------------------
"All I ask for is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #93835 - 08/01/08 12:29 PM

When it stops raining, I'll go back to the Webley & Scott & the slugs. I posted else where about my first groups with slugs.

I was wondering if I should just solder a brass bead at the back & use the two beads for practice up to 50 meters. Once I am comfortable with the regulation & loads, I thought I'll fix the express sights.

Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #93848 - 08/01/08 03:52 PM

Surprisingly offhand shooting can be done at quite long ranges offhand if practiced.

The following example, but not with DRs. At a deer club shoot we had a number of deer targets placed out at different ranges. One was maybe 200 metres or so. Shoot at it using any sort of field rest. One member insisted it be shot at free hand. The next year, most members placed every shot in a killing zone on the target freehand.

Now I don't advise this in real life, especially when a wounded animal can escape, especially a DG animal.

I think the main things about shooting free hand is practice, practice, practice. Practice with other rifles, .22s, air rifles, medium bores plus your chosen double. Practice a lot with your double without shooting it, just practice aiming it at the TV (unloaded!) or other objects (safely of course). Take it for walks. Use snap caps. Try some reduced loads and shoot a lot of them. The point isn't to "practice for recoil", it is practice aiming and firing it. Start and finish with full power loads.

Practice snap shooting. This is offhand training. Bring the rifle to the shoulder and aim to fire it as soon as the target is acquired. Don't hesitate or stuff around.

I don't practice enough myself BTW, so not preaching at all.

Take it out hunting other game. If you can't hunt a deer with it, how will you hunt a buffalo?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: NitroX]
      #93911 - 09/01/08 03:10 PM

I think there have been many good subjections. I would shoot the 22 to get in some cheap practice. You should do a bunch of dry firing with your double (use snap caps) This will help you to build your strength and endurance. You can set up a target in your house and practice bringing the rifle up and being on target, Holding the rifle brings familiarity and helps confidence. Dry firing is a great practice used by completive shooters for years. You can even practice reloading (using snap caps).
Bill

beleg2
.375 member

Reged: 15/08/07
Loc: Bahía Blanca - Argentina
Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: Bill_Cooley]
      #93931 - 09/01/08 10:16 PM

I have a .22 barrel with a buggle and I plan to make two .22LR reductors for my .577 Snider double rifle.
It would be a fine way to practice.LOL
Thanks
Martin

tmskislc
.224 member

Re: Freehand Shooting Doubles, any tips? [Re: beleg2]
      #94326 - 15/01/08 06:13 PM

Things are going better already. Just practicing with the Snap Caps cut the groups in half. My freehand follow through is better and the groups at 25 yards are coming down to under 2" with an occasional flyer.

--------------------
"All I ask for is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

driftwood
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Utah, United States
      #94378 - 16/01/08 11:02 AM

I have found that shooting with reduced loads in my double helps improve my performance. Mr rifle is regulated to shoot to the same point of impact with a reduced load vs. full load. I also shoot 22's and other calibers off hand as much as possible.

--------------------
oleson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com