Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mauser actions´ strenghts differences

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Jano
.224 member

Reged: 24/12/07
Loc: Brazil
Mauser actions´ strenghts differences
      #93735 - 07/01/08 02:00 PM

First of all,friends,thanks for your suggestions about my queries on which would be the best choices for water buffalo calibers. However, I still need some help to understand the differences between the so desired VZ-24 Brno action and the M1908/34 Brazilian Brno. Are both of the same strenght? How they compare with a M1908 DWM ? It is easy to an american to by a new rifle exactly as his wish, but this is not the case with us that lives in Brazil.In spite of the expenses involved in such a custom work, it is legally easier to rebuild a rifle in the choosed caliber than to try to import a new one. Best regards
Jano

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Mauser actions´ strenghts differences [Re: Jano]
      #93807 - 08/01/08 06:03 AM

Kuhnhausen in his book on the subject "The Mauser 91-98 Bolt actions A shop Manual"
Pg 215

Suggests that all the actions you have mentioned are " Highly deserible for building custom rifles" The M1908/34 Brazilian similar to VZ 24 with Brazilian crest.

All critical dimensions are the same.

Hope this helps

Regards

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Mauser actions´ strenghts differences [Re: Bramble]
      #94142 - 13/01/08 03:20 AM

Bramble,

One of the really useful features of this Forum is the window it opens on reference works I had never heard of before. One was "The Mauser 91-98 Bolt actions A shop Manual", which I had never heard of, and ordered with a certain amount of trepidation, since books like De Haas's "Bolt Action Rifles" are long on anecdotal experiences and short on useful technical information. I was happy to find it a real gold mine, one that my late lamented gunsmith friend, George Fullmer would have appreciated.

George had a Brinell testing machine and insisted on performing a hardness test on every action he received for rebarrelling, many of which he would reject, if not up to his standards of safety. He was dubious of any Mauser action not made by Oberndorf, although he did admit that the Czechs produced some acceptable rifles.

Mr. Kuhnhausen goes into details which I have encountered before in books like Stuart Otteson's "The Bolt Action", and I find it immensely useful.

Many thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2428

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com