Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Old doubles and rain.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Old doubles and rain.
      #92796 - 28/12/07 11:17 AM

I took my 1907 H&H .35 WCF double rifle hunting last Sunday morning and it started pouring. The rifle got soaked. When I got back to my car it dried it off the best I could. But, the forend looked pretty bad. When I got home I noticed that the "varnish" had come off. This must have been due to my rough gloves and being wet. I wiped it with my silicon cloth and that improved the finish.

I want to hunt with my doubles as that is why I bought them, however; what do you recommend as a protectorate (pun intended)?

Has anyone used Permalyn?

How about protecting the metal?

B.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: bonanza]
      #92799 - 28/12/07 11:37 AM

If that finish is origional, it should be rubbed linseed oil. When you say come off, has it flaked off? That would be unusual.

Trouble with the origional finishes fron oil on wood to rust blueing, they do rather depend on handing the gun to you "man" at the end of the hunt to take care of. :-)

Regards

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: Bramble]
      #92820 - 28/12/07 03:01 PM

My Jeffrey double nicely got soaked in a tropical thunderstorm during the banteng hunt in November. Plus the very high humidity and salty sweat from handling.

I just rubbed the metal work down with an oily rag. The stock didn't seem to be effected.

I did carry the rifle upside down on a sling on my shoulder - muzzles down - during the rain so the rain couldn't run down the barrels. I was more worried about my digital SLR and digital video cameras in my day pack I must say.

This rifle has obviously seen some hard use so as long as it is re-oiled it must have done this sort of thing many times in the past.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #92839 - 28/12/07 06:38 PM

I remember that stage. Double rifles aren't target rifles, and I'm not a collector...so mine have been through the worst. After a while, I just quit worrying about it.

My medium bore in particular seems to draw heavy rain wherever I take it. I used to think that a bad soaking indicated a relatively quick complete strip and clean, but after doing that a few times, I realized different.

Hunting spring bear in Idaho back in '94, I got caught in the most violent, torrential thunderstorm I've ever experienced in my life. When the worst of it blew through, we were a couple of miles and on the other side of a mountain from the truck, running through a thick, mature forest. Having been through a number of hurricanes, I'd guess that the wind was gusting to 80 mph or more, and trees were falling all around us. The torrential rain was hitting hard enough to sting like hell, and our faces and hands were bright red from it afterward. The Evans got a thorough soaking, and not the first of the trip. I just wiped it down, and ran a couple dry patches through the bores. I had the next complete strip and clean done 6 years and numerous showers and thunderstorms later. Later that year I took it to Colorado on a mule deer/elk hunt. They'd had a bad drought that year that broke on opening day. I hunted with it through five straight days of heavy rain until I scored and went home. Of course, it's been rained on a number of times since. I finally had the next strip and clean done earlier this year, 7 years since the last. I watched over my gunmaker's shoulder as he pulled it apart. Everything inside is as pristine as the day it was made. An ex-India gun, it's 80 years old, and I can find no evidence of corrosion ever having formed anywhere in it or on it.

Lately, on a pro's suggestion, I've been smearing the metal with white lithium grease, letting it sit a bit, then wiping it off. He says white lithium bonds to the grain of the steel, protecting and lubricating even when it isn't visible, until removed with a solvent, such as WD-40. Dunno if that's true, but it seems to work as well as anything I've tried. I've used a couple of different waxes on the wood, but can't recommend anything in particular.

Sidelocks are certainly easier for the hunter to dry out, but for some reason, I see far more sidelocks with corrosion inside than I do boxlocks.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #92840 - 28/12/07 06:57 PM

The first hunt I had my 450/400 on was a Spring black bear spot and stalk hunt in Montana.

I got into a rain storm like 400Nitro describes on 3 different days.

The wind and rain was so bad, my wife and I could not even see to walk.

When it let up a little we still had to walk for 3 to 4 hours in the rain all 3 times we got caught in the storms.

I wiped the rifle down and dried out the bores every night,

I ended up shooting a bear at point blank range in a snow storm.

On the way back home I stopped off at Champlin Arms and had JJ pull off the buttstock.

There were no signs of moisture or rust.

I have hads the rifle for several years, it has been rained on several times including 2 trips to Alaska, one for over 30 days in the field.

Just a few months ago I again had him pull off the buttstock.

No rust.
I have had my 450 No2 checked as well, no problems there either.

It is not something I worry about.

I bought them to hunt with.

srose
.300 member

Reged: 30/09/05
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: NE450No2]
      #92866 - 29/12/07 07:33 AM

I love to hunt with my doubles but don't like to get them wet either. I wax the whole gun down with paste floor wax which won't hurt a thing. I also carry a light cloth sheath waxed down to put the gun in if its starts raining. You can roll it up and put it in your pocket when you don't need it.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: srose]
      #93243 - 02/01/08 08:44 PM

Living in North Australia's monsoon tropics, and hunting with vintage Brit double rifles almost exclusively, one quickly adopts a pragmatic attitude towards torrential downpours.

If the guns have been hunted in the outposts of Empire in the past, they have already seen much worse. In full agreement with 400NE above, just give them a chance to dry thoroughly after the hunt and all will be well. Boxlocks in particular are just about weather-proof and will rarely get water inside the action.

However...
I must confess to a little precautionary work when I first take delivery of a DR. The action and locks are usually completely stripped and cleaned, and any parts which show the slightest hint of roughness, tool-marks, or staining are polished to a very high finish. All parts are then smeared with my secret recipe lube (not so secret, actually... 50:50 mix of Alcom No.2 waterproof grease and high-grade german light machine oil), and reassembled. After this treatment, I can be completely confident that even long-term full submersion would not result in any damage to the metal.

The wood will need regular waxing or oiling of course, and a stock-refinish every few years if you want the old girl to look her best,

An ounce of prevention...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #93265 - 03/01/08 02:52 AM

Quote:

. When I got home I noticed that the "varnish" had come off. This must have been due to my rough gloves and being wet.

B.

In my experience, gloves are hard on both metal and wood finishes. I try not to use them, if I must, because of the cold, I've found that thin, soft, clean deerskin gloves are easy on the rifle or shotgun and enough to keep wind chill from making your hands useless. A couple of pairs rotated to keep them bone dry seems to work for all but the coldest days. The fleece or wool gloves are not wind proof enough to me and make gripping the gun tough if they don't have leather palms.

But I pick up duck decoys from ice chunk filled water without gloves so my toleance is pretty high.

JPK

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Old doubles and rain. [Re: JPK]
      #93273 - 03/01/08 04:31 AM

My double shotguns get a soaking every year in pheasant season! They get plenty of TLC after each shoot day and an annual check/service as necessary, but I havenīt experienced problems. I think alot has to do with the grain of the wood and its resistance to warping/splitting, as well as the oil finish...

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com