Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: single triggers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
single triggers
      #91171 - 10/12/07 11:17 PM

Hello all, which UK makers manufactured doubles with mechanical single triggers ? thanks in advance, Mike Bailey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: single triggers [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #91172 - 10/12/07 11:29 PM

WR ?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: single triggers [Re: 500Nitro]
      #92261 - 21/12/07 08:23 AM

I hate single triggers, even on shotguns!!

I assume Boss made them and maybe Purdey, as they have used ST on shotguns for many years

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #92310 - 21/12/07 01:44 PM

Westley Richards made not only single trigger rifles they even built U/O rifles in 318 and 425. One of Christopher Austyn's books goes into detail about them, I am not sure which of his books though. PM J Tomlinson here - he would know about these in detail, if anyone does. You'll also make a good friend in a very short time by communicating with him. He is one of the nicest persons I have had the fortune to befriend on any forums.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pilgrim
.275 member

Reged: 25/05/04
Loc: Washington State, USA
Re: single triggers [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #92320 - 21/12/07 02:51 PM

IIRC - John Taylor had and used at least one WR double with a single trigger. In fact, he liked the single trigger so much, he said that is what he would order if/when he needed another DR.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: single triggers [Re: Pilgrim]
      #92385 - 22/12/07 07:05 AM

Taylor never could make up his mind - it seems that every other calibre, maker, etc was his favourite at one time or another!

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: single triggers [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #92846 - 28/12/07 11:06 PM

Some guys can handle double triggers under stress, but apparently most can't, much opposed to their professings. I know I can't cope with double triggers, especially when the poop hits the fan.

I bought my Krieghoff 470 because it had a single trigger. As the proverbial saying goes, "I wouldn't take a double trigger double rifle as a gift." It could get me killed!

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #92884 - 29/12/07 10:47 AM

I suppose they all make them, on request, but the reason you don't see many of them, at least in side by side double rifles, that are chambered for dangerous game is, because most do not want them.

There are two famous hunting book authors who love single trigger double rifles, and they are Will Stewart, and Elmer Keith! One (Elmer) because he was hard headed, and the other because of his self confessed inability to work double triggers properly, and must have a single trigger, to avoid being killed!

IMO, there is only one item that will effectively take away the "TWO SEPERATE SINGLE SHOT RIFLES ON THE SAME STOCK" rock solid reliability of the S/S double rifle, and that is a malfunctioning single trigger. If it fails it takes a fine defense weapon and makes it into a 11 pound club!

I can hear the keyboards clattering now, typing out the fact that a mechanical single trigger will opperate the other barrel if it fails on the first barrel. Wellllllllll maybe, and maybe not! It depends how it breaks. But it is better than an inertia selected trigger, but only for the first shot on that second barrel. After that on a re-loading of the rifle it has to try the damaged side before it fires the second barrel each time. In the case of a failed single trigger, a single SELECTIVE trigger would be better. That way it could be selected to the other barrel so it would fire it every time, after a failier. I think any other failed single trigger would be a little more stressful, that learning to use double triggers, and is, IMO, a lot more likely to get the shooter killed.

In my opinion, if you can't opperate double triggers, stick to a well made CRF bolt rifle!

..............That's my two cents, spend it where it will do you the most good!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: single triggers [Re: Will]
      #92888 - 29/12/07 12:15 PM

Quote:

I know I can't cope with double triggers, especially when the poop hits the fan.

Why am I not surprised?

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: single triggers [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #92895 - 29/12/07 01:38 PM

Although I might not order one on a gun, I would not let the fact that a nice vintage gun had a single trigger dissuade me from the purchase of said gun.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92897 - 29/12/07 02:25 PM

Quote:

Hello all, which UK makers manufactured doubles with mechanical single triggers ? thanks in advance, Mike Bailey

Westley Richards and Boss & Co.

The Westley Richards is a single selective trigger that works flawlessly. I have a .318WR, and .350RM in droplock, with SST's, love them!

Boss is also a wonderful design and works perfectly.

However, I do prefer a double trigger over a single trigger for a double rifle.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: single triggers [Re: ]
      #93017 - 31/12/07 07:28 AM

Quote:

Boss is also a wonderful design and works perfectly.

I canīt speak from personal experiece, but I understood that the Boss ST was notoriously difficult to get to operate flawlessly (perhaps a strange thing to say about a Boss, but hey, thats what I heard). Maybe they have redesigned it from the earlier versions. Or maybe that was just from someone who disliked STs !!

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
      #93028 - 31/12/07 07:54 AM

Boss single triggers are difficult to make for the maker , Boss found that out when the only guy doing them died at quite a young age a few years ago. Like anything else they can malfunction with some dirt or someone put grease on it.

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: single triggers [Re: ArnoldB]
      #93034 - 31/12/07 08:34 AM

I JUST GOT A 9.3X74R OU BY ZOLI WITH A SINGLE IT IS SWEET.I LIKE IT BETTER THAN MY MERKEL SXS 470 WITH DOUBLE TRIGGERS.HEY BUT I AM BUT ONE WITH AN OPINION........SHOOT WHAT YOU HAVE AS LONG AS ITS A DOUBLE

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Edited by bwananelson (31/12/07 08:37 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#93116 - 01/01/08 07:07 AM

I can speak from personal experience, whomever told you that a Boss single trigger has problems, has never owned one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2702

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com