Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Traveling with a Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Traveling with a Double
      #93006 - 31/12/07 04:43 AM

I plan to take my double with me this year to Africa. I currently have a cabela's aluminum Safari case which holds the rifles vertically..I have used this case for the past 8 years with no problems what so ever--however concerned with taking the double and any possible damage that could occur to it.. I plan to break it down and wrap it in protective material and then place snuggly in the case..

Any thoughts or ideas from those who have traveled with their doubles?? Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: Ripp]
      #93043 - 31/12/07 11:06 AM

Took mine in a Winchester double shotgun case together with a takedown rifle. Wrapped the sights in bubble wrap and secured each item in a cotton wrap with the velcro inside the case (well made by winchester incidently). No problems with the guns, but my brand new case looked as if the Jo'burg youth football team had the world cup trials using it as a football !!

Beware!!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: Bramble]
      #93044 - 31/12/07 11:12 AM

thank you for your help--appreciate it--plan to visit the local Westley Richards shop as well --as they ship them all the time they might have some keen insight

Ripp

--------------------

DDouble
.300 member

Reged: 17/02/06
Loc: Brazil
      #93059 - 31/12/07 03:25 PM

How about just putting it into the bottom of those Cabelīs duffel bags with a rigid space below. Then it is not that apparent that a gun is in there. Or does some airlines require a separeta rifle case?

--------------------
Ddouble

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: DDouble]
      #93089 - 01/01/08 02:58 AM

You could try americase and I like the idea of putting it inside the duffel. I think orvis make those duffel bags with space for a case beneath.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #93093 - 01/01/08 03:20 AM

Most of the guys I know are using the Tuffpak these days for safari travel, and seem to really like it. As you suggested though, whatever you use, never pack a long gun that can be taken down (like a double) fully assembled. Doing so only provides more leverage to break it with. A friend had a pair of double rifles in his Tuffpak, but fully assembled, coming back from Africa last year. The buttstock of his heavy double was broken completely off at the hand pin. Much more difficult to do that with the gun broken down and both halves securely wrapped and padded.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #93094 - 01/01/08 03:23 AM

My Rifles brake down into a light aluminum case and then into my custom leather and canvas duffel bag (made by dominate leather goods) with my other luggage.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #93106 - 01/01/08 05:15 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/22/78/68/i227868sq01.jpg

This is the best flat gun case for a double rifle, if that is all you intend carrying in it! I'm almost certain these are made by Pleican, only a lot cheaper to buy, at Cabela's.

[url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/00/56/56/p005656hz03.jpg]
]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/00/56/56/p005656hz03.jpg[/url]

The above take down soft case is the best for use with the Tuff Pack. For some reason I can't get the picture of the take down Tuff Pack to come up, but it is the one I have for doubles, and it doesn't even look like a gun case. With the rifle broken down and in the soft case, it can be placed in the middle of the tuff pack, with your cloths, and boots around it, so it is not in contact with the sides of the tuff pack. This take down model has an expandable handle, and wheels, and is easy to pull around the customs, and ticket check-in area, and as I said it doesn't look like a gun case at all!

[url=http://www.huntersheadquarters.net/load_image.asp?photo_id=201]

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #93109 - 01/01/08 05:46 AM

Looks like a great idea--thank you again for your help

Ripp

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#93115 - 01/01/08 07:02 AM

I use 2 Tuffpaks, one long for scoped rifles, and one take-down for double rifles and a shotgun. Never had problem. Make sure you get the TSA lockups though.

Bramble
.375 member

Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: ]
      #93120 - 01/01/08 08:08 AM

Chaps,

This thing about packing your rifle amoungst your other luggage.

Please correct me if I misspeak but I thought that airline/international aviation rules preclude such a method. The firearm/s rather having to be seperatly packed in a locked case and checked in as such. The ammunition to be packed into a sealed container of no more than 5 Kg which can be inserted into your main luggage.

These were the rules both internationaly and internaly in Britain this year with three different airlines.
Does this differ from one country of departure to another ?

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
      #93217 - 02/01/08 12:29 PM

The whole Tuffpak case locks. For putting in the bottom of a duffel, you use an aluminum case which is seperately locked. Both systems meet requirements.

I'd note that a double rifle or two in an aluminum case in you duffle plus you cloths is going to weigh a ton.

Edit: Just wanted to point out that the FIRST RULE of traveling with good guns of any description is to insure them for their replacement value!!!

JPK

Edited by JPK (02/01/08 12:34 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: JPK]
      #93561 - 06/01/08 02:33 AM

Quote:

Edit: Just wanted to point out that the FIRST RULE of traveling with good guns of any description is to insure them for their replacement value!!!

JPK

You are exactely correct and I have taken those precautions..thank you for the info..

Ripp

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #93586 - 06/01/08 07:07 AM

I would like some info on international travel with rifles. NZ is in the botton right corner & we have to pass through Singapore or Malaysia on the way to most places in the top left corner or anywhere in between. I understand that Singapore is a real problem to pass through with guns & ammo (even in transit). What do you Aussie guys do when you travel to Africa? Which airline? What forms to be filled? What permits to be secured????

I realise that going to the US or Canada over the Pacific is relatively simple - I have the details from the Outfitters.

Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: Nakihunter]
      #93595 - 06/01/08 09:47 AM

Traveling to Africa from Aus, I do NOT travel via south east Asia but travel SAA straight to Johannesburg.
A friend spent a few days in an Asian prison for not having the right paper work on transit (more like not paying bribes).

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: ozhunter]
      #93623 - 06/01/08 12:48 PM

Air Mauritius also flies from Perth to Africa via Mauritius.

Maybe a nice place to visit for a day or two.

Qantas flies Sydney to Jo'burg.

SAA flies Perth to Jo'burg.

In the past I have always flown either Qantas from Perth (when they used to do it, now it is just a re-badged SAA flight), or SAA from Perth, either to Harare (previously) or Jo'burg.

However SAA now has a policy of charging for every kilogram of excess luggage over 20 kg and if you carry a gun case with heavy rifles there will cost many hundreds of extra dollars.

So in future I will try Air Mauritius or fly to "backwards" to Sydney to catch the Qantas flight to Jo'burg.

Actually I would like to visit Mauritius anyway.

Regarding Asian countries I have been previously warned and heard horror stories and people travelling through SE Asia with guns, including Bangkok. I have also heard of people travelling through Singapore with no problems but presumably they were only in transit at the airport.

On balance I would avoid SE Asia when possible.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Traveling with a Double [Re: NitroX]
      #93680 - 07/01/08 02:07 AM

Quote:

However SAA now has a policy of charging for every kilogram of excess luggage over 20 kg and if you carry a gun case with heavy rifles there will cost many hundreds of extra dollars.

It isn't just SAA that is charging..think most are in fact...Delta hammered me that last time I went..I was taking candy over for the kids..had an entire bag full--told them what it was for..they still charged me $165. extra for it---some expensive candy..

Ripp

--------------------

Bramble
.375 member

#93712 - 07/01/08 09:03 AM

I don't have shares before anyone asks....but British airways does not consider the wight of your sporting arms in the baggage allowence. Don't know if that makes them viable for anyone.

Regards

driftwood
.224 member

Reged: 31/12/06
Loc: Utah, United States
      #94364 - 16/01/08 09:09 AM

I flew Delta to South Africa in July and didn't have to pay any overage for the weight of my gun and gun case. Only for my checked luggage on the way back because of overage for items purchased as gifts. I would like to hear more from others who have flown to Namibia, Tanzania etc on other airlines about there experiences with guns and cases. Would like to take three with me when I go to Namibia in a three gun luggage case.

--------------------
oleson

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2795

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com