Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: cost of 470

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: cost of 470 [Re: poprivit]
      #92787 - 28/12/07 08:26 AM

For fun I shoot an FAL and 308 surplus ammo has not been available for a long time. I live in and worked in the Copper mining industry and live next (and I mean within 2 miles) to several large producing copper mines. Copper is the highest it's been in years and they are at FULL employment. Had to buy a car battery last month and it was aspecial one that fits under the rear seat and has vent tubes and was only available from Buick. The Parts man informed me ALL auto batteries had 25% price increases as of the first of November. Because of the lead content I assume. No reason NOT to think ammo costs weren't going up by a significent amount. When I bought my Merkel 470 several years ago the price was $6000, I think they have gone up since then also.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
      #92841 - 28/12/07 07:15 PM

Quote:

Naw, breaking in half means exactly that. The buttstock broke in half right at the wrist. This was as I was regulating the barrels because they were cross-eyed by 4.5 inches at 50 yards. Also, the forearm wood had broken, and the right barrel was cut too shallow to let the federal rounds seat deep enough to close the action. k80 is correct. What finally broke was my trust in the rifle. My PERSONAL opinion is that Blaser USA needs to get their act together; talk about rude, useless people. Their barrels are regulated by a laser, never on the action. When I got my 470, the barrels had never been fired, nor had they ever been on any action. It took $400 to just get the gun to work - 'course, then the stock broke.

Would you take this rifle to Botswana in April to hunt Cape Buffalo???

Thought not. My Ruger Magnum in 458 Lott is going. at least I trust it.

My, that's a ringing endorsement. Not the first time I've heard similar.

I think I probably know the dealer you got it from. Same guy posted on another board that he thought the quality of the S2 was at least equal to that of a Holland & Holland. I gather that he's a helluva salesman, but he sure ain't no gunsmith.

Last I heard, Federal was still not making their own .470 brass. If they're still buying it in from Europe, the slide of the dollar will have increased the cost of it considerably. Hornady makes their own brass. They have 9.3X74R and .450/.400 3" on the market now, and it's probably the best flanged nitro brass I've ever used. They've announced the .450 3 1/4". I hope they stay on course, and bring out .470 as well. If they do, I'll bet their price cuts Federal's in half.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
      #92843 - 28/12/07 08:04 PM

Blaser customer service basically stinks - I'm hoping the new CEO gets their act together. I like most Blaser guns, but I wouldn't waste my money on the S2; when I went to the NRA convention even the Blaser rep didn't seem to think much of it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6247

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com