Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone heard of this?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Anyone heard of this?
      #92302 - 21/12/07 12:58 PM

Someone at work today told me that Africa sctually had to pass a law banning the shooting of elephants with PAINTBALL GUNS??? Something about it being an "extreme sport" to shoot an elephant with a paintball and try to not get trampled. According to him, a couple guys were killed by an elephant doing this, and they found out which elephant did it by the yellow splatters on its head. I don't know about it being an extreme sport, but it sure sounds like something drunk high school kids would do in the US(reminds me quite a bit of cow tipping-piss off a big animal and try not to get stepped on). Is this something that's actually going on, or is it just one of those rumors that get started and won't die?

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: Shackleton]
      #92307 - 21/12/07 01:32 PM

You have some of the facts confused, but this is absolutely true.

The actual issue doesn't have anything to do with "extreme sport", but rather paintball guns have become center stage in a novel idea worked out by Doktari, Harry Selby and Steve Hornady.

It seems that so many tourist hunters were having difficulty getting good hits on elephant that a scheme was devised to address this problem. African game guards in Zimbabwe and Zambia are now issued paint ball guns and these tools are used to apply a mark of paint precisely where a bullet needs to go in order to effect an immediate kill. Hunters now no longer need to learn the intricacies of animal anatomy, but simply need to put the bead on the dot and break the trigger.

The scheme has been so successful that there is now talk of expanding the practice to a number of valuable plains game species including sable, lechwe and greater kudu. Several safari operators in Namibia are investigating the possibility of "targeting" gemsbok.

I see this practice as having great potential for North America also, where top dollar could be obtained for trophy deer in Texas. Such deer could be harmlessly "shot" first by those who view hunting as personally distasteful but who demonstrate extreme skill at paintballing and enjoy the thrill of being in close proximity to wildlife. Then the trophy deer could be harvested by those who have a strong affinity for vension and pinot noir.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92317 - 21/12/07 02:07 PM

I'm going to sign-up to be Marks paintball guy.Hitting an animal charging would be an extreme sport. At least you could do it once.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: Dave_Hall]
      #92326 - 21/12/07 03:18 PM

Seems unbelievable.

I think I will continue my past practice of "painting" a small red dot on the elephants or other game animals anatomy the old way.

Karamojo Bell is rolling in his grave ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ArnoldB
.300 member

Reged: 23/07/04
Loc: Uk
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: NitroX]
      #92329 - 21/12/07 03:32 PM

The range of a paintball gun is what 35 yards?Less?More?

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: ArnoldB]
      #92332 - 21/12/07 04:15 PM

I didn't know about marking them for anatomical reasons-sure, it makes dangerous game a touch less dangerous by showing the kill zone, but at the same time it takes something out of the hunt-at least for me. I myself wouldn't want to hunt an elephant(now a Cape buff on the other hand...) but don't have a problem with someone else doing so. Maybe instead of painting bullseyes on the kill zone sonething should be done to enforce a marksmanship/anatomical knowledge requirement. Putting the dot directly on the animal to me turns the trip from "hunting" to simply killing. As far as my original post goes, I thought something was wrong there-even stupid people have at least some common sense-then again, common sense is what tells us that McDonald's coffee is hot, and that misuse of a firearm may cause "serious injury or death", but there are warning labels for both of these facts.
Sure, when your game can turn the tables on you(and your PH) with a badly placed shot, but don't a lot pf PH's complain that too many clients can't shoot anyway? If a hunter can't put a bullet in the right place a painted dot won't help as much as it would seem.
We all have that one dream hunt(I'm sure even people who have been to Africa still have something they wish they had a chance to hunt), so why diminish it by taking shortcuts? I've posted before that I want an elk-the only way it will happen is by saving some money. In the meantime I owe it to that elk to know how to kill it quickly, and have the ability to do so. That means for the meantime rifle practice and studying about the animal's habits, anatomy and anything else that helps. I'm sure we all know a hunter who cares more about killing an animal than the hunt itself. If everyone would either learn about what they're hunting or take their guide's advice on placement the paint splatter would be completely unnecessary.
After all, if elephant hunting were easy a lot more people would be doing it.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: Shackleton]
      #92335 - 21/12/07 04:45 PM

Indeed, before this goes too far, my post was total BS.

I just made it up.

I am, however, kind of curious if there's anything to the "extreme sport" angle...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #92353 - 22/12/07 12:11 AM

Quote:

Indeed, before this goes too far, my post was total BS.

I just made it up.

I am, however, kind of curious if there's anything to the "extreme sport" angle...

Cruel---are you practicing "catch and release" this time of year..

I read your first post and thought you have got to be shittin me...however in todays world of hunting with a video camero and remote gun--nothing will surprise me..

Have a good one--heading out for Christmas

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: Ripp]
      #92365 - 22/12/07 03:55 AM

It would be Extreme.I thought it was bull when you put Kevin "doctari" down as someone that would do this.He seem like a no BS type of P.H..Thats why he has books and DVDs out I think he would be pissed if you got that far into the hunt an didn't know what the hell you were doing.Thats what I think I never meet the man.

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #92367 - 22/12/07 04:22 AM

A friend of mine had a Deer Farm in Washington where he had use for tranquilizer gun.

He also had a business on Kodiak, in Alaska. One day, after a couple of pops, he and another guy decided to go down to the South end of the Island and tranquilize a Deer while on a fishing trip. They then painted a red and white bulls eye on the Deer.

Unfortunately for them they told one too many people and the Fish and Game got wind of it. After an interview, where they denied ever hearing of such a vile plan, they were warned that if a Deer turned up with a bulls eye on it they were in big trouble.

Luckily, the Deer was not shot but he does have some good pictures of it wondering around on the beach with a red and white bulls eye that covers both entire sides.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: mickey]
      #92383 - 22/12/07 06:48 AM

I don't know about the elephants, but there were certainly hunts advertised in South Africa to shoot Rhino with paintballs, back in the day when numbers were more scarce than now. I seem to recall that it was advertised as an "ethical" way to complete the big five when there were virtually no permits available.

gator
.224 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Florida
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #92405 - 22/12/07 01:07 PM

ha ha ... That was good!

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Anyone heard of this? [Re: gator]
      #92781 - 28/12/07 06:33 AM

not eles but hitting a baboon with a paintball out of a slingshot really adds to the humor of the day. (perhaps not for the babo)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2727

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com