Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Marlin unlocks

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Marlin unlocks
      #92753 - 27/12/07 11:34 PM

Hello Folks,

I too own a couple of Marlins. My 30-30 was my first centerfire rifle, purchased for me by my parents as a Christmas present (at J.C. Penny's, no less). The other is an 1895G with an 18.5" ported barrel. If the lever is not held tightly, either of these rifles will unlock upon firing (lever drops slightly). It does not take high-pressure loads either; I've had it happen with factory ammo in both rifles and with "Trapdoor" handloads in the 45-70. What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

Take care, Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: Tatume]
      #92755 - 28/12/07 12:19 AM

The lever unlocking is usually attributed to misuse of hot loads but you say that it happens with regular loads. I'd send it back to Marlin or just have a competent gunsmith take a look at it.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: 475Guy]
      #92757 - 28/12/07 12:46 AM

Without seeing the rifle I can't say for sure, so to be safe, my suggestion is that you have the guns checked by Marlin to be sure there is nothing significantly wrong.

A theory:

I suspect recoil acting against the inertia of the lever can be enough {particularly on a slick-actioned, or older, well-worn actioned rifle} to cause lever movement. Actually, such movement would not be lever "movement", but rather, the lever staying put while the rifle recoils away from it, with the weight of the lever being enough to cause partial unlocking of the action, all of this taking place after the bullet has left the barrel?

Thus, recoil speed, not pressure per se would be the "culprit".

I believe this is known to occur a bit with Win 94's, etc, also. I have seen bolt handle movement on Lee-Enfields and it was explained to me that this is the cause of that, so maybe the inertia thing is the cause of both?

How hard to you have to hold the lever against the stock wrist? How did you come to notice it?

Try this:

UNLOAD the rifle.

Cock it.

Aim in safe direction.

With just your finger, trip the trigger. Do NOT touch the lever.

Does the lever drop just a bit?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92761 - 28/12/07 02:09 AM

BTW, recent news is that Remington has bought Marlin. If you're going to send something to Marlin, do it now before Remington has a chance to screw things up.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: 475Guy]
      #92763 - 28/12/07 02:27 AM

475- good idea re: Remintgon. Most lever guns must hav ethe lever held against the wrist to disengage the grip safety.
: I had a .444 that used to drop the lever with 300gr. at around 2,100fps. The pressure wasn't too high, but recoil energy was significantly higher than factory-type ammo. The lever-drop was unsettling. I sent it back and it was repaired and returned - it stopped doing this.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: DarylS]
      #92792 - 28/12/07 10:07 AM

I suggest that you post the question here where other good friends reside. They will beyond any doubt have the answer to this question.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com

Regards

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: Bramble]
      #92845 - 28/12/07 11:06 PM

Quote:

The lever unlocking is usually attributed to misuse of hot loads but you say that it happens with regular loads. I'd send it back to Marlin or just have a competent gunsmith take a look at it.

I’m not inclined to push cartridges hard. My loads for the M1895 are at the top end of the “Trapdoor” sections of my loading manuals. It’s surprising how well the short barrel lever gun does with these loads.

Quote:

I suspect recoil acting against the inertia of the lever can be enough {particularly on a slick-actioned, or older, well-worn actioned rifle} to cause lever movement. Thus, recoil speed, not pressure per se would be the "culprit".

You’re probably right. I tend to hold loosely, which allows the gun to recoil freely.

Quote:

How hard to you have to hold the lever against the stock wrist?

Not hard at all.

Quote:

Try this: UNLOAD the rifle. Cock it. Aim in safe direction. With just your finger, trip the trigger. Do NOT touch the lever. Does the lever drop just a bit?

No.

Quote:

BTW, recent news is that Remington has bought Marlin. If you're going to send something to Marlin, do it now before Remington has a chance to screw things up.

I’m sorry to hear that.

Quote:

I suggest that you post the question here where other good friends reside. They will beyond any doubt have the answer to this question.

I’m going to do exactly that.

Quote:

I had a .444 that used to drop the lever with 300gr. at around 2,100fps. The pressure wasn't too high, but recoil energy was significantly higher than factory-type ammo. The lever-drop was unsettling. I sent it back and it was repaired and returned - it stopped doing this.

After I hear what the “leverguns” folks have to say, I’ll probably send this one back too.

Thanks everyone, Tom

srose
.300 member

Reged: 30/09/05
Loc: North Carolina
      #92867 - 29/12/07 07:36 AM

Try a stronger lever latch spring.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Marlin unlocks [Re: srose]
      #92915 - 29/12/07 11:51 PM

Hello Folks,

Here is the pertinent portion of the response I got at the leverguns website.

Quote:

On the lever just above and to the rear of the trigger is a spring loaded plunger. This plunger engages a cross pin in the trigger plate when the lever is closed. Its tension is what holds the lever closed.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #92924 - 30/12/07 02:42 AM

As mentioned, I suspect recoil + lever inertia are overcoming this tension and the lever drops and the action only appears to "unlock" under chamber pressure. A call to Marlin might seal the deal for you if you still have concerns.

Somewhat off-topic but vaguely related: Ease of lever operation was one feature that assisted John Browning in his development of his first machinegun; a gas-operated Winchester .44-40!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com