Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Winchester is Back! maybe...................

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
.275 member

Reged: 26/01/07
Loc: Wangaratta/Victoria/Australia
Winchester is Back! maybe...................
      #87707 - 24/10/07 07:01 PM

I just read a press release and it says Winchester will be making rifles again but in a new factory in south carolina which is FN-USA's factory. wether they ,make 375H&H and bigger is another question or left handed models.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: 308]
      #87747 - 25/10/07 12:24 PM

Winchester Model 70 Press Release

Morgan, Utah - The Winchester Model 70 is one of the most respected bolt-action rifle designs in the world. Winchester Repeating Arms is excited to announce the return of the Model 70 for 2008. The All-American Model 70s will be built by American craftsmen in Columbia, South Carolina, at the same state-of-the-art factory (FN Manufacturing) as the rifles and machine guns used by American's Armed Forces. They are made to the exact ISO 9001 standard of quality that the U.S. Government insists upon for military firearms.

For 2008 the new Model 70 has the all new M.O.A.™ Trigger System, improved fit and finish and enhanced accuracy to go along with its classic Pre-64 Controlled Round Feeding, Three-Position safety and solid, sure handling.

M.O.A.™ Trigger System. The new Model 70 M.O.A.Trigger System is the most precise three-lever trigger system ever offered to sportsmen. Operating on a simple pivoting lever principle, the trigger mechanism has been completely redesigned to exhibit zero take up, zero creep and zero overtravel. The pull weight ranges from 3 to 5 pounds and is factory-set at 3 3/4 pounds. Because of the enhanced ergonomics, wide smooth triggerpiece and 2:1 mechanical advantage created by the unique design geometry, it actually feels like half that weight.

Three-Position Safety. The improved three-position safety on the new Model 70 has proven effective and highly popular with hunters and shooters for decades. Convenient to operate with the thumb of the firing hand, the Model 70 safety lifts the firing pin away from the sear. Then the safety selector is in the middle position, the action can still be operated, allowing unfired cartridges to be cycled with the safety on.

Hammer-Forged Barrel. Model 70 barrels are cold hammer-forged from a solid billet of steel for accuracy and long life. Massive rotary hammers shape the barrel steel around a mandrel to create the rifling. The barrel is threaded, target crowned and installed on the receiver. The chamber is then reamed and the bolt is headspaced. This results in 1 MOA accuracy for three-shot groups using properly managed barrel, quality match ammo and superior optics under ideal weather and range conditions.

Blade-Type Ejector. The Model 70's blade-type ejector allows full control when ejecting a fired case. When pulling the bolt back slowly the empty case pops out gently, which is perfect for target shooters and varminters. Pulling the bolt back smartly allows the empty case to clear the port with greater force. The blade-type ejector helps to eliminate short-stroking malfunctions.

The new Winchester Model 70 will be offered in a Super Grade, Featherweight™ Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe and Extreme Weather SS models for 2008. All will feature a thick black Pachmayr® Decelerator® pad that will help take the bite out of recoil.

The Super Grade will be offered in 30-06 Sprg. and 300 Win. Mag and will feature a fancy grade walnut stock with contrasting black fore-end tip and pistol grip cap and a sculpted shadowline cheekpiece. Suggested Retail $1,149.00

The Featherweight Deluxe has an angled comb walnut stock with Schnabel fore-end and satin finish with elegant cut checkering. It will be offered in popular long and short action calibers, including WSM chamberings. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049.00.

The Sporter Deluxe features a satin finished walnut stock with cut checkering on trim fore-end and pistol grip, along with a sculpted cheekpiece. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $999.00 to $1,049,99.

The Extreme Weather SS's premium Bell and Carlson composite stock features a trim, light feel with textured matte surface that gives a sure grip in any conditions. The Extreme Weather SS has a free floating, fluted stainless barrel to help minimize weight. Available in popular long action and short action WSM calibers. Suggested Retail $1,149.00 tp $1,199.00. Delivery on all models will begin in June of 2008.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/index.asp

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: NitroX]
      #87822 - 26/10/07 09:33 AM

What I have heard is that the actions are being made for FN by Karl Lippard. Will have to wait and see what finally comes on sale.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #87854 - 27/10/07 12:39 AM

I think they are moving into a nitch/specialty market with the Model 70 and won't be competing for the low end rifle market. Probably just as well. You don't need to be a number 1 seller to make a profit and Winchester badly needs to make a profit. This may be an unpopular statement but I'd just as soon have a CZ for big and dangerous game as any Model 70 I've seen in recent years. I wish them luck but I'm not interested.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: Plains99]
      #87855 - 27/10/07 12:44 AM

Plains

I agree, I think they are aiming at the higher end market.

Look what happened when Rem produced the cheap Model 7
and Winchester the ? 670 ?.

It's also very crowded down at that lower end.

Good luck to them.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: Plains99]
      #87860 - 27/10/07 02:15 AM

Plains, I think the general thrust of all this is that FN production will {theoretically...} represent an improvement over the later-production USRAC {or whatever they were called when the company sank} guns. Obviously they will have to be an improvement or the ship will sink again. CZ is not without its own problems involving stocking up, etc. as has been shown time and again over at the CZ Forum. Does anybody use a stock CZ DG rifle or are almost all rebedded?

And another good example of CZ blockheadedness is their 527 in 7.62x39, one of the single BEST-concept guns ever made in my opinion. I had one for several years and shot several deer, stock-chasing dogs and coyotes and varmints with it. But unfixable engineering shortcomings in the magazine system forced me to dump the thing. I hated getting rid of it but I can't afford to have a gun around that isn't reliable. CZ has refused to redesign this rifle and in 7.62x39 it frustrates a very high percentage of the people who own it. Take a 1905 Mannlicher-Schönauer carbine and convert it to single-shot and that's about what you got with the 527/7.62. I lost a shot on a second big stray dog due to that feed problem and I guess I never forgave it. Anyway, a company that steadfastly refuses to address a problem like that needs a management reshuffle of its own. Such silliness hurt Win/USRAC, too.

I have never owned a Winchester 70, but I'll go so far as to say that anybody who turns their nose up at a well-made, new-production Model 70 will be in the extreme minority. I have a feeling this thing might just take off and I do wish them well indeed. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #87865 - 27/10/07 07:13 AM

I think it is awesome that they are coming back and agree it will be on the upper end which is good-with Dakota apparently making a come back --the added competition will be good--

Aweful hard to make a profit on the lower end anyway and its too crowded as it is..

As to CZ--I have picked up a couple to plink coyotes and other varmints--their accuracy is really good with both that I have but the finish work sucks--the .204 varmint I have will shoot 1/4" groups all day long but the action is really, really rough--so I am having the gunsmith do a once over on it once the season is over.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: Ripp]
      #87874 - 27/10/07 09:46 AM

I know you shouldn't have to, but you can pay $70 for an action job when you buy the rifle. It seems like a reasonable price giving the price of the CZ 550.

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: chuck375]
      #87888 - 27/10/07 02:27 PM

Quote:

I know you shouldn't have to, but you can pay $70 for an action job when you buy the rifle. It seems like a reasonable price giving the price of the CZ 550.

Interesting.

Never knew that. The action on my 527 was slick, so I didn't need such work.

Part of the reason I like Rugers so much is that the actions are very easy to epoxy bed and the triggers are easy to tune up, both of which they always seem to need.

It seems that buyers are required to "finish" a lot of rifles from various manufacturers these days. If Winchester can produce a reliable, decent-looking, fairly accurate rifle that needs no work as issued from the factory, they will be a relative loner in the industry.

At least Rugers are cheap...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #87892 - 27/10/07 06:29 PM

The Win 70's always work better for me with some action work, trigger adjustment, and bedding. I have Win 70's in a pre 64 300 H&H,and later CRF model 375 H&H, 458, 338,and 30.06 and enjoy all of them.

It will be interesting to see their quality vs competition and what level they will be competing at.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (27/10/07 06:31 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: hoppdoc]
      #87899 - 27/10/07 10:46 PM

Quote:

The Win 70's always work better for me with some action work, trigger adjustment, and bedding.

One feature of the M70 that I always appreciated is the excellent, easily adjustable trigger. The square-bottom action also beds nicely.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: Tatume]
      #88053 - 31/10/07 11:47 AM

I am a M70 fan and I applaud the return of the M70.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #88057 - 31/10/07 01:09 PM

I visited with a local gun shop yesterday--who stated they have been in contact with the distributors who are saying they will be available sometime in 2008..not sure of the accuracy however the info I received stated that not as many dealers will have the opportunity to sell the new model 70's as before...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: Ripp]
      #88129 - 01/11/07 12:34 PM

A pic of one of the new Model 70 rifles:

For more info, see David Petzal's blog at:
http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/200...-the-.html#more

-Bob F.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: BFaucett]
      #88315 - 06/11/07 12:29 PM

Bob,

Have you been able to handle or shoot one of these? None of the stores around here seem to have one.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #88386 - 07/11/07 09:46 AM

No, I haven't seen one. From some of the things I've read on the web, it seems that some of the magazine gun writers have been able to shoot and hunt with some of the early production models. I don't think Winchester will be shipping to dealers until some time on 2008.

For example, here's what Greg Rodriguez said on Oct 25, 2007 over at the 24 Hour Campfire forums:

I just returned from Utah where I saw and shot the new Model 70s. I was impressed with the improvements. The trigger was really nice, and I like the models they chose to bring out. I asked when the Safari Express would return. They said "maybe in 2009." I have a feeling it depends on how quickly they are able to get production up once they start.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...rue#Post1758653

Cheers!
-Bob F.

TNRAT
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: South TN
Re: Winchester is Back! maybe................... [Re: BFaucett]
      #92732 - 27/12/07 10:39 AM

I need a left hand in 30.06 to go with my 375. Come on, left hand.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4216

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com