Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double for a tiger?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
EricCioe
.224 member

Reged: 16/04/07
Loc: University of Chicago & Muskeg...
Double for a tiger?
      #91816 - 17/12/07 02:51 PM

Let's say that hypothetically you could go to the historical jungles of Indian and Bangladesh to hunt tiger. What would you arm yourself with, if you could take anything?

--------------------
Kant, Goethe, Hamsun, Mann, & Heidegger. Ted Roosevelt & Aldo Leopold.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: EricCioe]
      #91819 - 17/12/07 03:14 PM

I'd take a .450/.400, but they were very regularly hunted with lighter rifles. King George V used a double .280 Lancaster. The .303 was widely used.

I evaluated a .400/.360 Westley Richards NE hammer double a while back that had a gold inscription from one Maharaja to another on the rib. They guy that was thinking of buying it had a book written by a Maharaja about Indian hunting, and who had done a lot of tiger hunting. He favored a .400/.360 WR NE hammer double for tiger, and was pictured with it in the book. Sure enough, it was the same rifle. It would sure work on tiger, but I would want a bit more punch.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #91820 - 17/12/07 03:44 PM

One of the new Searcy round actions in 450/400 with a QD S&B Scope.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: ozhunter]
      #91822 - 17/12/07 04:04 PM

Depends on whether you are going to do a tiger hunt by elephant drive or on foot?

" A driven game drive with a difference"

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: ozhunter]
      #91823 - 17/12/07 04:04 PM

John Taylor reckoned the .577 Black Powder Express in 2 3/4 and 3" shell to be one of the most popular tiger rifles for a time. He goes on to say: "If I was concentrating on tiger or man-eating lion to the exclusion of everything else, I shouldn't hesitate: I would almost certainly have a double .577 built to handle the modern .577/75/650 load. Such a weapon need not weigh more than around 10 1/2 lbs."

One of the black powder loadings seem pretty interesting as a historical novelty at the least.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91824 - 17/12/07 04:16 PM

I would, with no doubt, use my scoped 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle.

The bullet, the 400 gr Woodleigh Soft.

My scope is in claw mounts, so it could be on, or off the rifle, depending on the hunting conditions.

There is no other rifle on Planet Earth more suitable to the task.

How do I know.

Because.

That same rifle, IS, for ME, My Medicine Gun for Lion.

Where, ON THE DAY, IT worked PERFECTLY.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #91829 - 17/12/07 05:01 PM

My standard answer when I believe it is appropriate, a paradox. The Maharaja of Bikaner shot and killed three tigers in a matter of a few seconds with his pair of paradox guns.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: gatsby]
      #91832 - 17/12/07 05:29 PM

Nitrox - your reference to the old post is incredible. I have just finsinshed re-reading "Temple Tiger & other maneaters..."

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: Nakihunter]
      #91870 - 18/12/07 03:23 AM

Tigerhunting in the Indian jungle!!. A 10 bore double..either on foot , or in a howdah!.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: rigbymauser]
      #91976 - 19/12/07 12:42 AM

I've always wondered whether it would be best to use something like a .577 2-3/4" or 45-70, or something faster like a double 375 (or 450/400). I have often read that for thin skinned DG a velocity of higher than 2150 fps (or was it 2250?) is preferable due to the hydrostatic shock effect, which is why the 416 Rigby is so rated as a lion calibre. Any thoughts on this? Clearly none of these calibres would have a problem with penetration on big cats... But is hydrostatic shock something to be considered or is it a myth?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #91983 - 19/12/07 02:09 AM

Quote:

But is hydrostatic shock something to be considered or is it a myth?

I've never shot a tiger.

However, when shooting an aquaeous medium, hydraulic effect can be easily observed as I have done on many occaisions in testing bullets in my media.

That does not mean that a cartridge that produces the most dramatic effect on water-based media is going to necessarily produce the best killing or stopping results on any given animal. Penetration and the ability of the bullet to break bone, etc must be adequate as well.

The best way I know to "draw the picture" for you is to contrast the hydraulic effect of round-nose sixgun bullets {.e.g 700-1200 fps} with high velocity rifle rounds {by that I mean .e.g .30-06, etc}. Many sixgun bullets will penetrate an identical depth to the high velocity rounds in ballistic media. However, when shooting water, for example, the effect of the strike is very much different between the two types of rounds. Where a sixgun bullet may penetrate, the effect on the media is much less than with the "rifle" rounds. It is easily observable and it is dramatic.

It is much more difficult to compare the effect of rifle rounds that are closer in velocity to each other than the extremes represented by the round nose sixgun bullet and the rifle round. Just exactly where the effect of "hydraulic shock" or whatever you want to call it occurs is difficult to say. Military testing and combat experience indicates that the shift from "heavy, slow" round nose military bullets in the 2000 fps range to "light, fast" spitzers of 2400 + fps {after the introduction of the German 154 grain "S" bullet at 2800 fps c. 1905} brought with it a dramatic increase in traumatic hydraulic effect.

There, clear as mud!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92075 - 19/12/07 08:54 PM

While I have never shot a Tiger, I have shot a Lion.

If I had the "JOB" of killing every Tiger and Lion on the Planet, I would use my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle [with scope in claw mounts] with 400 Woodleigh Softs.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: NE450No2]
      #92091 - 20/12/07 01:44 AM

Quote:

While I have never shot a Tiger, I have shot a Lion.

If I had the "JOB" of killing every Tiger and Lion on the Planet, I would use my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle [with scope in claw mounts] with 400 Woodleigh Softs.

Agree with the 450/400--seems to have worked very well in the past--also as a tiger is a soft skinned animal like the lion--the 400 grain soft would work amazingly well..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: Ripp]
      #92212 - 20/12/07 11:51 PM

I would be hard pressed to choose between a .577 Light Nitro (as described by Taylor in 9ThreeXFifty7's post above), a Jeffery .400 (as others have suggested), and a 12-bore Paradox (gatsby's pick, and a passion of mine).

Provided the rifle was lively, properly balanced, and fitted well, and the bullets were bonded-core softs or 20:1 lead alloy, I would be equally happy with any of the above.

The underlying theme here is that with few exceptions, the hypothetical tiger hunter would be happiest with a traditional vintage chambering from the heyday of the Raj. Almost any calibre will kill a tiger, but to truly hunt a tiger one must jolly-well be armed with a pukka rifle!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #92309 - 21/12/07 01:40 PM

I have never shot a tiger and never will - the bloody Indian government is driving them to extinction in the wild with its idiotic policies and the damned Chinese are paying huge amounts of money for the last tiger to be poached for its body parts. Soon, we shall have no more wild tigers in India or anywhere else.

But, I would like to concur with Gatsby here and say that from the stories of old timers who hunted in India's past, many of whom are fading away by the day as we speak, all kinds of rifles were used to hunt tigers. Westley Richards even built 250-3000 double rifles to hunt tigers off machans or elephants. There were 405 double rifles as well as Winchester leverguns and all kinds of guns that would not even be looked at today. I spoke to a friend today and learned about a mint 45-90 levergun in India in its original case, retailed by a name that's long been forgotten, P Orr and Sons of Madras and Rangoon, which was, most certainly used on tigers considering the family who own it. When I was a boy and beginning to get interested in guns, I would go to P Orr and Sons showroom to peek through the cabinets, tolerated with some amusement by the staff there. When they closed down, I was, perhaps, one of less than a dozen people who felt the loss though I was too young to have bought anything from them. They sell cheap wristwatches these days in that same showroom and the gunsmithing rooms have been leased to a sweatshop making cheap clothing for export to the US, Europe and Australia.

Sorry if this post is off tangent but the issue of tigers and of a dead gun owning and shooting tradition in the country of my birth makes my blood boil.

Good hunting, everyone.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #92378 - 22/12/07 06:31 AM

Quote:

I spoke to a friend today and learned about a mint 45-90 levergun in India in its original case, retailed by a name that's long been forgotten, P Orr and Sons of Madras and Rangoon, which was, most certainly used on tigers considering the family who own it. When I was a boy and beginning to get interested in guns, I would go to P Orr and Sons showroom to peek through the cabinets, tolerated with some amusement by the staff there. Good hunting, everyone.

I have once here in denmark come across a 1886 Winchester with express-sights and half magazine. The caliber was .50ex(50-110WCF). I believe the man still has it. That gun had a "Madras" adress inscription on the barrel.
If today I should use a levergun for tiger-sport...a fullpower smokelessload of the 50-110 wcf would be used.

Edited by rigbymauser (22/12/07 06:33 AM)

jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
      #92441 - 23/12/07 04:15 AM

I'm with Gatsby and Marrakai, a Paradox would be perfect and was. For the .577, soft lead was the best medicine or the bullet blew out the other side.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #92507 - 24/12/07 03:04 AM

Rigbymauser,

Just out of curiosity, would you remember which Madras company was inscribed on the barrel? And, of course, this is in my pester for pictures mode would you please ask your friend who owns the rifles to post pictures here?

There were three armouries in Madras in the old days as far as I know, P Orr and Sons were the biggest, there was an Indian owned business, Hindustan Armoury (which is still functioning in a nondescript location in Anna Pillai Street) and there was a Police Armoury in Saidapet near the old Armenian settlement which sold guns (and still does) for the personal use of police personnel and civil servants.

If only that rifle could talk, it would tell of a magnificent journey from the US via Britain to India and thence to Denmark...

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: Double for a tiger? [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #92713 - 27/12/07 04:59 AM

Quote:

Rigbymauser,

Just out of curiosity, would you remember which Madras company was inscribed on the barrel? And, of course, this is in my pester for pictures mode would you please ask your friend who owns the rifles to post pictures here?

There were three armouries in Madras in the old days as far as I know, P Orr and Sons were the biggest, there was an Indian owned business, Hindustan Armoury (which is still functioning in a nondescript location in Anna Pillai Street) and there was a Police Armoury in Saidapet near the old Armenian settlement which sold guns (and still does) for the personal use of police personnel and civil servants.

If only that rifle could talk, it would tell of a magnificent journey from the US via Britain to India and thence to Denmark...

Good hunting!

I don`t think I`LL get to talk to the guy who had the winchester(never liked him)....I bought a tiger fur spread of him where the company who had done it had a "Mysore" marking. I only recon the Madras name as it is unusal among winchesters.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #92729 - 27/12/07 10:31 AM

The famous taxidermist of Mysore would have been Van Ingins. They did work for people from all over India. My dad got one leopard done by them in 1958.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3998

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com