Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rechambering a Ruger No. 1

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Rechambering a Ruger No. 1 [Re: DarylS]
      #95209 - 26/01/08 07:10 AM

Daryl.

I think that you may be looking at "Old gun nuts" post and mine together.

It was I who mentioned my irrational distrust of epoxy. From what I understood of his post I believe that he was going to fix a bush with the internal thread to suit whatever existing barrels he has and then cut an external thread to match the #1 barrel shank thread. I was commenting that I would solder such a bush on and not trust to epoxy, as I dont like them in combination with increased chamber temps in use. I always fear, although I am proberbly wrong, that they will degrade with temp soak and cleaning solvents. It was the temp rise in service on which I was commenting, not the temp necessary to solder the bush on initially.
That is why I added that I am a dinosaur. :-)

You are quite right of course about the torque necessary to seat a barrel. My takedown which is elsewhere here, unscrews with a firm slap on the forend. The machineing of course has to be spot on, which is why, I presume, that so many factory barrels are heavily torqued into position.

I mentioned swap barrels held with a pin, because the greatest variation in the #1 appears to relate to the forend and hanger tension. ( I have a long range rig #1 in 6mm BR )if a bush were long enough then it would not be necessary to disturb this in changing barrels. Just slip them in and slip them out. That comment was just my idle museing however and I cant't say that I had thought it through to any degree.

Regards

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14034

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com