Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: building a lee speed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
building a lee speed
      #92305 - 21/12/07 01:17 PM

Are there any books or articles that are available to assist in building a Lee Speed from a military action? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: building a lee speed [Re: Charles]
      #92340 - 21/12/07 07:53 PM

Charles:
The Lee Speed action was never used in a military rifle, although the MLM (magazine Lee Metford) and MLE Mk.I rifle actions are practically the same. If you're not worried about what is stamped on the metal, just get one of those actions and fit up a new barrel with express sights, and fit a sporter stock. Many Lee Speeds had a stock which resembled the cut-down military woodwork anyway.

There was a good 2-page article on the Lee Speed rifle "Rifles at Random" in the International Arms & Militaria Collector magazine (No.22) a couple of years ago, which will give you an idea which grades of rifle had which features. Flick back through the Lee Speed threads on this forum for similar info.

I doubt you will find an article on how to 'make' a Lee Speed as such. What you will be doing is making a Lee Enfield sporter, and how nice you make it is up to you. There are plenty of guidelines on sporterising military actions, such as the NRA Gunsmithing Guide. Even Frank de Haas's 'Bolt Action Rifles' has sections on sporterising each military action, he shows a custom Lee Enfield with a one-piece stock IIRC.

You have a specific project in mind, I assume? Be sure to share it with us as you progress!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Charles
.275 member

Reged: 13/12/07
Loc: Texas
Re: building a lee speed [Re: Marrakai]
      #92394 - 22/12/07 10:32 AM

Thanks!!! I appreciate the info. Charles

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2534

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com