Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Breaking In New Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: Nakihunter]
      #91722 - 16/12/07 11:12 AM

Nakihunter,

PM your email address if you wish and I will send you another idea as to bore cleaning--I attended a seminar last year sponsored by both Barnes and another by Jarrett Rifles--

And yes, I share your passion for guns and hunting...almost to the point of obsession..

I have used their methods ever since and it really seems to work..

Thanks

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GoneShootin
.224 member

Reged: 18/07/07
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #91738 - 16/12/07 02:09 PM

My conspiracy theory is that the barrel makers who dont have the bestest reputation and seem to lack consistency, tend to use running in as an excuse.

For instance, you buy a barrel, get it fitted, then shoot it, and it shoots larger than MOA groups. So you complain to the maker saying "rarara paid $600 for this chunk of crap rararara" and theyre response is "well did you run it in", if yes "how did you run it in", and inevitably the response to your method will be "well theres your problem, not my fault, bye".

The larger operations to do with firarms, would be investing money into research since to most people a lot of stuff to do with barrel making is a black art, however if they invest their money into research they aren't going to just give their secrets away.

I believe what Mr Lilja said, ive heard much of it before (ie that the finish has to be somewhere in between, not too polished and not too rough)

KM4
.224 member

Reged: 23/11/07
Loc: Outback Qld, Australia
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: Nakihunter]
      #92186 - 20/12/07 05:34 PM

here's a dissenting view (from an authority from within the industry):
www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Perhaps a bit extreme, but sounds logical to me as do the the arguments on both sides. I'm a great fence-sitter!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: KM4]
      #92228 - 21/12/07 01:09 AM

Anybody with a bore scope ever used Lead-Away cloth to "break in" a rifle? Curious to know what if any comparisons can be made to this activity compared to the shoot/clean routine.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92240 - 21/12/07 02:44 AM

GoneShootin is right on.
I think all here agree that some breaking in process is preferable to none, but which is best is a question that is unanswerable.
I would expect that a barrel shoots its best somewhat early in its lifespan. Otherwise, magazine accuracy tests would be worthless not to mention the arduous process of regulating a double rifle. If a gunmaker regulates a fine double to hit the same point of aim out of both barrels, can breaking in improve this?...no.
Can breaking in help in cleaning?...yes.
The difference is that as internal barrel characteristics change, the consistency in accuracy changes - hopefully for the better. This consistency can be a great advantage for the single barrel target shooter who can adjust his sights to use it to his advantage. I don't think the same can be said of a doublerifle.
Anyway, not many will put that many rounds through a double, so my point may be moot.
As for manufacturers, it is in their best interest to make as accurate a rifle as is possible right out of the box. Some may be marginally better than others, but I would be surprised if there is a statistical difference once a load that barrel "likes" is found.
Which brings up a question for you benchrest guys out there.
How do you commit to a specific load when you buy a new barrel? Do you settle on a load first and then go through your break in process?

Huvius

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #92242 - 21/12/07 03:17 AM

For my last new barrel, I cleaned the rifle after every shot for 20 rounds. Thereafter It was sometimes cleaned after a group if I was at a range for checking zero, or after each hunting trip. Don't know if it was necessary or not.

Incidentally, I always use a dry patch, followed by a patch soaked in lighter fluid, followed by a dry patch before I start shooting in order to remove all traces of oil in the bore. The theory was that a) the lighter fluid evaporates (being flammable), b) any residue is much finer than machine oil (therefore less damaging than oil if left in a barrel when the bullet is fired) and c) most of the lighter fluid residue would be removed by the final dry patch (not the case with oil). This was part of the drill that we used when I shot competitively at Bisley - we were coached by a member of the GB match rifle team. I thought everybody did it, but apparently not!

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Breaking In New Rifle [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92243 - 21/12/07 03:56 AM

Quote:

Anybody with a bore scope ever used Lead-Away cloth to "break in" a rifle? Curious to know what if any comparisons can be made to this activity compared to the shoot/clean routine.

I have not tried it but, when I attended the seminar last year by Jarrett, he stated that the theory that not brushing a bore will NOT get the copper out of your barrel...so I have followed his recommendation ever since

He runs two wet patches through the bore to remove the powder residue--then he brushes the bore with an amonia type cleaner (Sweets)--lets it set for a bit--maybe 10 minutes--however be carefull as this can pit the barrel--then he runs a couple of dry batches through-if copper is still present he will repeat the process with the Sweets or similar product..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6037

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com