Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What would you get???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
What would you get???
      #91731 - 16/12/07 01:00 PM

Questions like this abound of course, but everybody has their specifics.

I am looking for a gun.

What would YOU get???

Here's what it's for:

I hunt almost every day of the year in a manner of speaking. I live in the mountains and almost every morning before heading off to work I set out from the house with gun in-hand for a hike or ski {depending on season} of a couple hours. I've been doing this for years, but frankly, I've never had the right gun. Seems like whenever I take a shotgun, a rifle is needed and vice versa. The critters taken include ground squirrel, coyote, duck, grouse, turkey, snowshoe hare, deer and elk in season. All of those have been taken on these morning exercise and fitness hikes so I must have a gun that will take each and every one. The gun will also be used for black bear and cougar which I do not typically see on my morning jaunts, but the caliber choice for the others will suffice nicely for these.

It must, therefore, include both a shotgun and a rifle barrel. I've tried every other option...pistols for the small stuff, and even had a cheap sawed-off shotgun for a while {H&R with 19" tube} that I slung over my back for the spots on the trail that might bring me something needing small shot.

So...what do I buy?

Ask any question, but gimme some help here!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: What would you get??? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91734 - 16/12/07 01:27 PM

Paradox No.12 !

...or even a 16-bore or 20-bore Paradox or Fauneta.

For many, the quality of the hunt is measured by the weight of the bag, in which case a scoped rifle barrel would need to be part of the equasion, but I sense you are a sentimentalist like myself, 9Three!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: What would you get??? [Re: Marrakai]
      #91735 - 16/12/07 01:32 PM

Either a Drilling or a double rifle drilling would serve your purpose perfectly.

I have and hunt with both kinds.

A 20ga is big enough for the shotgun, and any rifle calibre from 7x57 up will work.

I would want it scoped, in QD mounts of course.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: What would you get??? [Re: NE450No2]
      #91736 - 16/12/07 01:47 PM

I would think a Drilling perfect--

for me in the Southeastern states i would choose 12 gauge over 243. For weight purposes I would even see if I could tolerate a single barrel 12 over 243 with scope--

With possible black bear/cougar I would up the rifle caliber to at least 7x57R!!

Sounds like a fun problem!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What would you get??? [Re: hoppdoc]
      #91737 - 16/12/07 01:58 PM

Mmm...

I never even thought about a jungle gun, and for 10 months of the year it just might suffice! but I hage never even seen one in the flesh! But that is an option that just might plague me till I get it, too!

But the drilling or combination gun is probably better for the 200 yard shots I may get on deer nd elk. Last year's elk was at 225 paces.

OK, so a combo or drilling with a good scope might be most practical. An elk is a big deal around here, and I want to be able to make a good shot at ranges out to about 200 yards.

Yes, Hoppdoc, it is kind of a fun problem!

And yes, I agree. The 7x57R would be a good one. And I have about 200 empty 7x57R cases. Can anybody make a good argument for some other caliber? I've killed elk with the 6.5x55 and 7x57, and either the 6.5x57R or 7x57R would be good.

But what gun? Merkel, CZ? What scope mount? Where to get such a thing? I am in the middle of nowhere and no local gunshop would have a clue...

NE450, you are right, a 20 ga would be no handicap. Actually, any gauge from 20-12 would be fine.

Xausa's 8x57R/12x12 ga drilling seems like a winner, but can I justify the cost of a drilling over a combo?

I should add, the gun will get used. I go in rain, snow or shine and so will the gun. The gun will be wiped down and have a patch pushed thru the bore from time to time, but in a year it will have the blue worn off the edges and there will be unavoidable scratches and dings in the stock. I'm not a total clod, but spills and falls are the nature of things and the gun will show use after a time, so no "art pieces" or "investment" guns. I just refinished my Husky Model 146 9.3x57 stock AGAIN. It needed it, and it wasn't even carried the whole past year...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NE450No2
.375 member

#91742 - 16/12/07 03:07 PM

My wife and I both have Sauer drillings in 12x12x30-06.
Both have scopes in claw mounts.

The rifle barrels are very accurate.

While I have only killed birds with mine, she has taken deer & wild pigs in TX as well as kudu and warthog in Zim with hers.

There are enough of them around that if you look, you can find one.

I also have 2 double rifle drillings, both Blaser D99's one a 308x308x20ga 3" and a 9,3x74Rx9,3x74Rx20ga 3".

The Blasers are exceptionally accurate and the barrels can be regulated by the owner.

I have already taken wild pigs, deer, turkey, duck, and squirrel with the 9,3 Duo.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
      #91744 - 16/12/07 04:54 PM

Questions like this abound of course, but everybody has their specifics.

I am looking for a gun.
Quote:

What would YOU get???

I would agree with Marrakai, a 12 paradox, mag paradox explora or super explora.They were intended for just the scenario you described. They are not as easy to come by as a drilling so in that sense they are not as practical. Handloading would be a must with the rifled choke gun but a drilling just can't shoulder and swing as nice as a paradox.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #91746 - 16/12/07 05:08 PM

9ThreeXFifty7,

This was my most recent acquisition:
Griefelt & Co., Suhl Drilling Serial number 38525 16ga/16ga/7x57R
24 1/2"barrels of Bohler steel with automatic rifle sight, flat matted rib and claw mount bases choked full & full. 14"pull from front single-set trigger to horn buttplate, 2 7/8"drop. Lightly figured walnut stock with Deeley pull-down latch splinter forend, classic point-pattern checkering, beaded pancake cheekpiece, swivels, horn pistol grip cap and vacant silver oval. Scroll and game-scene engraved, grey-etched, scalloped, reinforced steel receiver with rifle cocking lever, Greener crossbolt, double underbites, sideclips, bushed firing pins, cocking indicators and Greener safety. Weight: 7lbs, 7oz. Built 1939. 90%blue.

It cost $3250 and now all I need is rings to fit the claw mount bases. I'm hoping NECG will be able to help me out. This is incidentally the most I have paid for a drilling, and I own four: a 1929 Krieghoff Neptun (sidelock) 16/16/9.3X72R, a 1941 J.P.Sauer sidelock 16/16/8X57IR, and the 1942 Greifelt 12/12/8X60R you mentioned. All but the 12 gauge Greifelt have separate rifle barrel cocking, which means the rifle barrel can be carried uncocked until you are ready to use it, so there's no danger of accidentally letting fly with the rifle barrel at a quail or pheasant.

If you scan the auction sites as I did, you probably will be able to come up with what you want for a reasonable price, but it may take time. A lot of drillings are priced much too high, simply because the sellers don't know what they are worth and don't want to be taken advantage of. I have been lucky enough to find sellers who were in the know and were able to make me a reasonable price.

My one indulgence, which I don't yet have in my possession, is a post war Krieghoff Neptun 16/16/8X65S. The rifle caliber is a real stopper, and will be my wild boar weapon of choice, with both shot barrels loaded with Brennekes. Should do well on bear, as well.

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: What would you get??? [Re: xausa]
      #91748 - 16/12/07 06:17 PM

Although I'm looking for a drilling myself, I can't see going for one when you're spending so much time actually moving as opposed to sitting in a stand. I'd go for a cape gun - since I'd rather not carry a cocked gun I'd personally choose the Blaser OU (BBF97) in 12 ga. over something in .30 cal/8mm.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #91756 - 17/12/07 02:05 AM

9ThreeXFifty7

I ran into this the other day. The seller says that his reserve price is $1800, which I would consider fair, assuming the description is accurate. The 9.3X72R has been described as the equivilant of the .38/55, a cartridge which killed a lot of deer and black bear in its day.

Loaded with jacketed bullets like the Norma 230 grain Vulkan, which is designed to perform at lower velocities, like that of the 9.3X57 (why am I telling YOU this?), it should be pretty effective. I have just laid in a supply of these bullets and plan to try them at the earliest opportunity.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=87054373

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: What would you get??? [Re: xausa]
      #91757 - 17/12/07 02:56 AM

Stupid question on drillings and combo guns--(I have owned/shot none)

When hunting would there be an advantage is having a one barrel scoped combo shotgun over a SXS scoped combo? The difference is lighter weight vs weight/handling of 2 shotty barrels(?a pound), of course--but that weight may be substantial over an afternoon.

Personally I would look at a 16x16 x8x57jrs with 2 3/4 shotty chambers versus a single 16 over 8x57jrs. I guess would have to hunt both to decide.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
      #91760 - 17/12/07 03:56 AM

9Three,

Ckeck out www.champlinarms.com . JJ has a couple of lightweight combo's that would be perfect for your needs. Quality pre-war guns, already claw mounted, the whole nine yards.

Jeff

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #91767 - 17/12/07 05:18 AM

Quote:

Mmm...

I should add, the gun will get used. I go in rain, snow or shine and so will the gun. The gun will be wiped down and have a patch pushed thru the bore from time to time, but in a year it will have the blue worn off the edges and there will be unavoidable scratches and dings in the stock. I'm not a total clod, but spills and falls are the nature of things and the gun will show use after a time, so no "art pieces" or "investment" guns. I just refinished my Husky Model 146 9.3x57 stock AGAIN. It needed it, and it wasn't even carried the whole past year...

Here might be another idea---really inexpensive and with the right ammo the 30-30 would work fine for elk,deer, bear or anything else you would run in to, especially if your shots are 200 years or less. Agree it is ugly as sin.. but have actually used them before --the rifle shot fairly accurate..

Much cheaper than a drilling but the drilling is far more desirable..

Ripp

http://www.savagearms.com/24f12.htm

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: What would you get??? [Re: Ripp]
      #91774 - 17/12/07 06:28 AM

i think ripp got a point.

other than that i would look for a combination gun, because of the weight. I own a drilling and it has it purpose but it is not as a go everywhere gun.

i would look for a 12 gauge with a 9,3x74 rifle barrel, that should make you able to hunt all gods creations in the world.

regards peter

p.s dont try to overload a 9,3x72 in a combination gun you might get a supprice, that i dont want happening to anybody. some black powder cases can take it, this one wont.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91782 - 17/12/07 07:24 AM

A drilling would seem to be your best bet. 20 bore over 7x65r would be just the ticket.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: What would you get??? [Re: peter]
      #91792 - 17/12/07 08:30 AM

Quote:

i think ripp got a point.

other than that i would look for a combination gun, because of the weight. I own a drilling and it has it purpose but it is not as a go everywhere gun.

i would look for a 12 gauge with a 9,3x74 rifle barrel, that should make you able to hunt all gods creations in the world.

regards peter

p.s dont try to overload a 9,3x72 in a combination gun you might get a supprice, that i dont want happening to anybody. some black powder cases can take it, this one wont.

Peter,

In another unrelated matter--you had asked for info on guides for elk in Montana

see the attached for his 2007 newsletter--they shot one bull in archery season that went over 390 B&C..huge...

Later

Ripp

http://www.avalancheoutfitters.com/Hunting/00-hunting.html

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What would you get??? [Re: ]
      #91825 - 17/12/07 04:18 PM

Wow!

LOTS to mull over!

What is the procedure for cocking the uncocked barrel on a Blaser?

Xausa, your suggestion to look till I find something really interesting to me sounds like sage advice. In the searches I've run so far, I see what you mean. Pricing all over the map. Will require study and some effort nut I reckon I should be able to find something practical and useful.

Thanks for the link to champlinarms. Any other good sites or dealers I might be able to check out?

A "Grand Slam" of sorts for me would be to take ground squirrels, coyote, deer, turkey, elk, bear, cougar, snowshoe hare all in one year with the same gun. From the sounds of some of the recommendations, the gun would not be the limiting factor!

Thanks very much for the input!

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#91830 - 17/12/07 05:15 PM

Gentlemen

I own and have hunted both, Drillings [2 shotgun bbls one rifle bbl], and double rifle drillings.

They are the best hunting guns on the Planet, where fur and feathered game can be persued at the same time.

Here is my assesment. Both should have a scope in QD mounts.

The Drilling is best for those times where you are primarily hunting birds or small game, but may encounter deer, pigs, elk, bear etc.

The double rifle drilling is for when you are primarially hunting "rifle game", but may encounter feathered or other small game.

So you need to analyize your hunting style and decide which is best.

Me I needed both types.

And, I like these combination guns enough to invest in both types.

They are very useful hunting guns.

Also I will add, that here in Texas, my wifes favorite hunting gun is HER Sauer 12x12x30-06 Drilling.
It has a 4x Kahles scope in claw mounts.

With it she has taken multiple, deer, wild pigs, turkey, ducks, quail, dove, rabbit, and squirrel.

In Zimbabwe she has taken African ducks, guinea foul, franklion, sand grouse, dove, kudu and warthog.

NE450No2
.375 member

#91831 - 17/12/07 05:19 PM

Let me add that my wife and I both have Sauer 12x12x30-06 Drillings.

These Sauers IMHO handle better as a shotgun than my 12ga Citori.

You do not even know the 30-06 bbl is there, till you need it.

If I could only have one shotgun for hunting, it would be my Sauer drilling.

Having a 30-06 bbl and a scope in claw mounts "around" all the time.... PRICELESS.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #91990 - 19/12/07 07:41 AM

While I would like to have a drilling they never seem to come my way. I have a CZ combination in 12ga/7x57R that I like very much. I actually bought it with the idea of taking it to Zimbabwe for Guinea Fowl and the occaisonal Impala for camp meat. It has a pretty good scope mount that returns to zero with remarkable accuracy.The rifle barrel is very accurate and even with 175gr Nosler Partitions it manages 1" with regularity. Slim barrel so it heats up fairly quickly. The 12ga barrel is pretty much on the money and with slugs which I have never tried would be adequate for protection from bear I would imagine. It is of reasonable weight and is short and handy and the rifle trigger is a set one. Only drawback I find is it only has extractors which means it's not very fast on the reloads especially with the scope on. But then again I didn't pay much for it new either so who's to complain. Maybe someday I will really use it. I mostly shoot 140gr Sellier & Belloit factory stuff in it but think I will load up some more 175gr Noslers and see if my memory is correct. It is not the prettiest gun I have but seems to be sturdy and well made.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: What would you get??? [Re: zimhunter]
      #92008 - 19/12/07 12:17 PM

Drillings, Combo's, Paradox's...

A mulling-it-over ranking for me would be as follows:

Jungle Guns: Maybe later, for that sentimentalist thing... The problem is I really don't see them as 200 yard elk guns and even I would be loath to scope one, and a scope would be more-or-less essential for my hunting.

Combo's/Drillings: Yes, either one. As for practicality both sound super, both come in excellent calibers and both seem to be out there.

I say "seem" because the drillings are often IMO overpriced and the combos are less available. I really have to mull over whether I want a modern gun or a nice-condition GI WW2 "Bring-Back". I've been surfing the net and man do some of those '30's-built guns look nice, but servicing if broken might be a problem, but then again I suppose a moden gun like a Blaser might not be much easier to service in reality?

Anybody have experience with any of the Blaser combos?

I suppose if practical was all that was necessary, Zimhunter's CZ would fit the bill perfectly and a guy would fail a sobriety test if he didn't jump at the chance to grab a drilling laid out like Xausa's and NE450No2's!

As for caliber layout, Peter's 12x12x9.3x74R seems just to order, but all those 7x57R cases down in the basement seem lonely without a gun to shoot them in...

--------------------

NE450No2
.375 member

#92017 - 19/12/07 01:07 PM

As stated above I have 2 Blaser D 99 Duo's.

They are very good hunting guns. Very accurate. They use the same scope mount as the Blaser R 92 which I think is the best factory scope mount, bar none.

Go to www.blaserpro.com to see what kind of groups they shoot.

Look under combination guns, single shots, etc. at the "I'm Excited" thread.

I think the Blaser drillings are the strongest of all drillings, if you are going to use one a lot you might give them a look.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
      #92034 - 19/12/07 03:24 PM

9-3,

There are good drillings out there for reasonable prices. Don't pay too much for one in a bastard chambering or one in 9,3X72R. I love the old 9,3X72R, but it is very limited in capabilities, and you DO have to watch pressures. Also, it uses .364 bullets, not .366 as for the other 9,3s.

As an example of what can be had for fair prices, I have this Sauer in 16/16/6.5X57R on the way, all scoped with a Zeiss (Hensoldt) 6X in claws for around $2,000.00. Your best bet is to find one similar in 8X57JR...ammo is cheap!

PM me and I'll tell you how to get one, if you are serious about one.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
      #92035 - 19/12/07 03:26 PM

Well, my one gun for everything has been my Krieghoff Semper, and i've harvested everything from big moose and big blk. bear on down with it,hunting all over Alaska and the lower 48 states with it...

Even beyond 200 yards i'd have no problem harvesting even the biggest elk with the 8x57jrs bbl loaded with 200 Nosler partitions... They have worked perfectly for me for more than 20 years now for all of my big game hunting, including on this whitetail, and many other i've harvested at 200 plus yards..

For a "cheaper" hunting combo gun, buy a Valmet 412... They shoot excelent and are very reliable... It's another gun i've hunted all over Alaska with, in all kinds of conditions...

They are very accurate and can be regulated to shoot any ammo you wish to use in it... They have a great detachable scope mount too. Check out this test i did with mine taking the scope off and reinstalling between every shot...

I've had mine for more than 25 years, and it's been totally reliable!

DM

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Re: What would you get??? [Re: akjeff]
      #92036 - 19/12/07 03:33 PM

Quote:

9Three,

Ckeck out www.champlinarms.com . JJ has a couple of lightweight combo's that would be perfect for your needs. Quality pre-war guns, already claw mounted, the whole nine yards.

Jeff

I just looked these over, and they are priced right, IMO. The 8X57JR for $2,100.00 would be my choice, hands down.

Also...what DM says about the Valmet 412 12/30-06. I've had several and just gave my last one to my dog trainer for some brush up work he is doing with my young setters. I wish I had just paid him cash... These are excellent shooters and tough guns.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

Edited by luv2safari (19/12/07 03:38 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8576

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com