Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Browning BPS Opinions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Browning BPS Opinions
      #91657 - 15/12/07 04:15 PM

I have the opportunity to buy a Browning BPS shotgun with two barrels, one rifled and one smooth for a ridiculously low price in ANIB condition. I have never owned a pump gun though I have shot trap and hunted ducks in Wisconsin with a Winchester 12 and a Remington 870. Should I buy this gun?

I would appreciate any advice from members who have owned or hunted with a BPS.

Thanks for the information in advance and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Browning BPS Opinions [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #91660 - 15/12/07 05:01 PM

I've had 2, one an older 3" 12 gauge, the other a recent production(at the time) 3 1/2" 12 gauge. Great shotguns, you didn't mention what your idea of "ridiculously" cheap was, but I bought the 3 1/2 model used for $400 with no extras and considered it a good price-again, probably 6-7 years ago. If you think the price is good buy it, the only reason I got rid of mine was a trade for an auto that I thought I had to have-wish I had the BPS's back.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Browning BPS Opinions [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #91683 - 16/12/07 02:44 AM

Mehul:

Never owned one or hunted with one, but years ago I sold many hundreds of them {wholesale and retail} in all gauges including the 3 1/2" 12 ga and 10 gauges {the latter an amazing howitzer of a shoulder arm!!}.

As a fan of bottom ejecting Ithaca, I have a soft spot for the BPS.

Obviously, any gun could be a lemon so I cannot speak to the specific gun you are inquiring about, but I can tell you that we had superb reports on these guns, and quality of construction, machining, stocking, etc, was excellent. Many were used incredibly hard as duck and goose guns, and I have seen them absolutely beat up and abused and still chugging along. The Japs may not be able to own a gun, but they darn sure know how to make one!

Which I believe leads to one of the reasons used BPS can be had for less than some others: "Made in Japan" does not seem to add $ to the resale value here in the States.

No worries, as that is good for you!

I don't know what you are looking at for price, but if I needed a reliable pump gun, I would not hesitate to buy a BPS.

BTW: Taking it to India???

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (16/12/07 02:46 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Browning BPS Opinions [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91690 - 16/12/07 04:03 AM

: Had one in 3" .20 bore. Every now and then, it would empty the magazine tube out the bottom when ejecting the first shot. I did like the gun though for it's pointability and function when not acting up. Traded it in on an Ithaca double 20 that was beautiful, but didn't shoot where it was looking. Ended up with a 12 bore 3" Browning over/under that was splendid on geese and ducks - then came steel shot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Browning BPS Opinions [Re: DarylS]
      #91696 - 16/12/07 04:43 AM

Quote:

: Had one in 3" .20 bore. Every now and then, it would empty the magazine tube out the bottom when ejecting the first shot.

Daryl, about when was that?

I can't remember exactly when the gun was introduced, but I am wondering if yours was an early production gun.

Incidently, I had an Ithaca that did the same. I still have the gun, as the shell stop is an easy fix on the Ithaca. I do not remember whether the BPS shell stops are the same as the Ithaca, but I've seen that problem {or one like it; shells ejected from mag tube on recoil} on Ithacas. I do not remember any such problems on the BPS guns so I'm curious as to roughly when yours was made.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Browning BPS Opinions [Re: DarylS]
      #91719 - 16/12/07 10:52 AM

Thank you gentlemen.

The price I am getting this particular gun is significantly lower than what you paid for yours. And the gentleman who has offered it to me is a decent sort. I don't foresee any quality problens or he would have told me about them.

I have an A-5 (an old girl from 1956) which I really love and when a pump came up on sale, I thought I would buy it because it happens to be a Browning. I have shot old Superposeds in the past and have not had problems with Brownings of any kind personally.

I shall pick the gun up over the next week or so (once the snow eases up a bit as I have to drive a long way) and then post pics here.

Good hunting everyone!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1904

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com