Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need Help with a Type B Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
jwheeler
.224 member

Reged: 18/11/07
Loc: Louisiana, USA
Need Help with a Type B Mauser
      #91490 - 14/12/07 05:30 AM

I need a little help with this one. This is a Pre WWI type B Mauser chambered in 7x57mm. It has a large ring, intermediate length action. The feature I am confused about is the "square bridges". These are integral to the front ring and rear bridge. Has anyone ever seen an early Mauser with this feature?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Need Help with a Type B Mauser [Re: jwheeler]
      #91498 - 14/12/07 07:10 AM

These "bridges" are certainly not factory. They appear to be soldered on custom mounts done at sometime in the rifles history. They are not the traditional scope mounts that one normally sees. I'm not sure what type of optics would be used here but the bolt handle was probably modified for clearance at the same time.

jwheeler
.224 member

Re: Need Help with a Type B Mauser [Re: dons]
      #91507 - 14/12/07 08:53 AM

Quote:

These "bridges" are certainly not factory. They appear to be soldered on custom mounts done at sometime in the rifles history. They are not the traditional scope mounts that one normally sees. I'm not sure what type of optics would be used here but the bolt handle was probably modified for clearance at the same time.

Don,

My first impression was the same as yours. I was convinced that I would find a solder joint. However, after very close inspection under high magnification there is no sign of a joint or seam where they were soldered. Look closely at the photos near the ends of the bases its all one piece of metal. Welded maybe? I have no idea what the original scope setup would have looked like but it has been drilled and tapped for bases now.

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #91512 - 14/12/07 09:53 AM

I suppose it could be welded but why would someone do that when silver soldering was much easier and was the accepted way of attachment. I have a Mauser with a factory ersatz bridge that is soldered in place. It is almost impossible to see the seam. If you have Speed's first book, look at page 294.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Need Help with a Type B Mauser [Re: dons]
      #91743 - 16/12/07 03:11 PM

jeff,could well be that the bolt was altered for the second bases that it was tapped for ,does the gun have any british proofs ,they have always produced some out of the ordinary scope bases judging from how old the gun is i would think anyone who wanted a scope on there rifle would order a square bridge when it was available, and not go thru the problem of rewelding bridges and machining them ,that is why i think that they must be silver soldered ,although the rear bridge does look like continuous metal,for now if you want to call it a "prototype square bridge" it is ok with me!! ...paul

jwheeler
.224 member

Re: Need Help with a Type B Mauser [Re: pjaln]
      #92648 - 26/12/07 06:15 AM

My post keeps disappearing. Whats up?

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #92654 - 26/12/07 08:38 AM

Jwheeler:

Really neat mystery.

Stock has filled pinholes for a cheekpiece, I take it?

I have Husqvarnas with front sight bases where the solder joint absolutely cannot be seen, and the sight base looks to be integral with the barrel, but is not, at least, "can't" be per the production type used during the time they were made.

If yours are soldered on, they were done so quite expertly. The bridge base on your rifle would have to be really skillfully mated to blend in with the radius of the charger hump. Is it possible the charger hump was milled thru to receive the base?

Also, look at the rear sight base and the front sight base; How well are they mated to the barrel?

Would love to know what the original rings looked like...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

jwheeler
.224 member

Re: Need Help with a Type B Mauser [Re: 9.3x57]
      #92664 - 26/12/07 11:18 AM

Quote:

Jwheeler:

Really neat mystery.

Stock has filled pinholes for a cheekpiece, I take it?

I have Husqvarnas with front sight bases where the solder joint absolutely cannot be seen, and the sight base looks to be integral with the barrel, but is not, at least, "can't" be per the production type used during the time they were made.

If yours are soldered on, they were done so quite expertly. The bridge base on your rifle would have to be really skillfully mated to blend in with the radius of the charger hump. Is it possible the charger hump was milled thru to receive the base?

Also, look at the rear sight base and the front sight base; How well are they mated to the barrel?

Would love to know what the original rings looked like...

Yes. I forgot to mention the holes in the comb but they show in the photos.

I would love to see the original rings but they are no longer with the gun.

Thanks for the comments 9threexfifty7.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2596

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com