Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Jungle Gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Jungle Gun [Re: Yogi000]
      #93383 - 04/01/08 10:47 AM

Thanks guys. This is great help & encouragement. I'll certainly see this "project" to its finish & enjoy it. I have a few questions and would appreciate some help.

1 I do not reload shotgun ammo. What is the cheapest way to get slugs loaded? Can I buy slugs with sabots or should I cast lead slugs? Is wheel weight ok or too hard for a shotgun?
2 Even with just the 4 shots, I found a lot of leading in the barrels! I used solvent 3 times with soaking overnight & it still came out dirty with lots of shiny bits. I have now soaked it with Ezzox to see if it makes a difference. Is this normal or is it because my gun has had its forcing cones & chokes opened out (lead sticking to naked steel with rough tool marks)?

Just to share a technique of cleaning shotgun barrels.....This is a very crude but effective method I developed in India when using very dirty black powder & a barrel with pits.

I first get a strong bamboo stick that will fit the bore & is really strong (cane or wood will do as long as it is really strong). Now I roll a strip of news paper to the size just below a 12 guage shell case - this has to be a really tight plug of paper that should feel quite hard. Now I soak a round Otis patch with solvent & wrap it over the paper plug & insert it into the chamber. Then I use the bamboo "rod" to force the patch & plug through the bore. When it gets tight, I even bang the bamboo on the floor to force the plug throug! You will hear some loud squeeks as the cloth scrubs the barrel. As these were old guns, I was not worried. There is plenty of room for the paper plug to compress & the barrels do not scratch. A few passes of this treatment gave me real clean barrels. The friction just smeared the lead off. You can even use just the paper plug with solvent & it works fine. I found this a lot more effective than using a brush. I wonder if I should try this on the Webley?

I expect a bit of flack for this... but...what the hell!!

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10720

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com