Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!!
      #90970 - 09/12/07 01:10 AM

I have a 17 yr old son, 140 pounds(active,plays football etc) who loves hunting deer and is very interested in my Double. No way is he going to shoot my 500NE--

He shoots a 243 rifle and 20 gauge shotgun--And no, he doesn't like recoil.

What SxS Double caliber would be good for deer and such where he could start learning to shoot open sights with a qd scope as well?? A 9.3 x 74R would be regulated for 286's and probably kick more than he wishes. Lighter 9.3 bullets may not group well--

Any suggestions for something with a easy ammo to purchase and not immediately have to handload??

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: hoppdoc]
      #90972 - 09/12/07 01:13 AM

Firstly try a better recoil pad on the 9.3 x 74R and it can be a pussy. ie Limbsaver or one of the others.

What about 7 x 65R or one of those that Merkel et al come in ?

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: 500Nitro]
      #90975 - 09/12/07 01:44 AM

Hopdoc,

You could try a double in 7x57R or along those line or in 30-06. There are plenty of them around. You could also try a 444 Marlin or 45/70 double rifle. Siace makes these and they seem well made for the price. Also, some 9.3's are regulated with 236?gr bullets.

Ib any event, you might try the 75% rules with a 286gr rifle. Tha is, load the bullet weight the comes closest to 75% of the weight of the bullet that the rifle was regulated with, and use the same powder charge. This should get you close and you can adjust.

If you don't wish to reload, there are a number of firms that will do the development for you and then provide you with the ammo. JJ Perrodeau at Champlins will do this, and closer to your neck of the woods, so will Superior Ammo. There are others as well.

JPK

1980E26
.300 member

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: USA
      #91003 - 09/12/07 05:54 AM

Hoppdoc,

How about Tom's .303 droplock or a Holland Royal .303. Im sure he would appreciate either one. Both are fine deer guns.

Corbin

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: 1980E26]
      #91009 - 09/12/07 06:50 AM

For a hundred yard deer gun look at the 9.3X72R. It's a similar caliber to a 38-55,power wise and is a sweetheart to shoot.Very little recoil. But it seems to fill the bill for your needs.
I have 2 Ferlach DR's in this caliber.If there was just deer in our woods and not the big brown fuzzy critters I'd use them here. As it is I take my Chapuis or Pedersoli with a tad more horse power..

Edit.. I should make note that todays deer don't seem to die as easily unless you have a super go fast caliber. The deer of yesterday seem to have fallen quite easily to a well place shot from a 38-55.:)

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Edited by AkMike (09/12/07 06:57 AM)

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: AkMike]
      #91025 - 09/12/07 10:19 AM

Been surfing gun sites--

What weight would a open sighted 7x57R be regulated for? 175 grains? 160grs? What velocities?

This caliber should be a pussycat and still have decent penetration--

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #91027 - 09/12/07 10:24 AM

If you want to have your son become proficent at doubles and not spend an arm/leg on guns and ammo--why don't you get a double 12 or 20 gauge side by side with 2 triggers--let him practice with that for a while--could use shot and slugs--wouldn't have to spend much on either and he could practice, practice, practice..

As in an earlier post by 400Nitro, most people do not shoot their doubles enough...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: Ripp]
      #91028 - 09/12/07 10:52 AM

Have a Husqvarna Double shotty and shoot it much more than the Double due to 500 NE recoil and the price of ammo--need to shoot it more, but shooting the shotty is not entirely like the Double--

Have a Double shotty coach gun that shoots slugs and thats great fun as well.Not very accurate but better when training to go to the rear trigger quickly with more recoil=more better.

No doubt if I got a 20 Double shotty my son would shoot that much more than the Double but the Double would be great fun,a conversation piece, and a rifle to keep.

Checked with Norma website and they have a 7x57R 156 gr @2600 fps.In a 8 pound rifle that equates to 14 ft/pnds of energy--pussycat stuff!!!

--------------------

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: AkMike]
      #91033 - 09/12/07 12:01 PM

Quote:

Edit.. I should make note that todays deer don't seem to die as easily unless you have a super go fast caliber. The deer of yesterday seem to have fallen quite easily to a well place shot from a 38-55.:)

Isn't that the truth. but the good news is Hunters are getting tougher. I can remember when only Gun Writers could shoot a 375 Holland and a 348 Winchester would break the collar bone on a logger.

I'd go for the 7x65R. that way if your son didn't like it you could give it to me.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: mickey]
      #91067 - 09/12/07 06:04 PM

A 17 year old should do a time of apprenticeship with the following qualitfications before he is allowed the honour of owning a sacred double rifle.

1 Be capable of shooting a squirrel with a sling shot. He should be able to hit a bottle cap at 15 yards 9 / 10. That is the best practice for using both eyes. (I had shot 10 squirrels with a hand made tree-fork & cycle rubber sling shot by the time I was 15)
2 Be capable of shooting a squirrel in the head with an open sighted air gun at 25 yards. (I had shot over a 100 squirrels with an air gun before I was 17. I even got a few on the run at 15 to 20 yards).
3 He should be able to walk 20 miles in thick bush on a hot day with just a water bottle. Crossing ravines, thorn bush covered gullies & red ant infested forests. He should be checked by a doctor (NOT his dad!) & certified as having skinned his knees, ripped his skin with thorns, cracked his lips from the dry heat, have red eyes from grating eye balls with dust in them & at the end of the 20 mile hunt, come home empty handed. He should then be able to do his home work! (Yes I did that before I was 17 - except the home work bit!)

Ok, Ok - I am just a jellous 51 year old!

On a serious note, Ripp's suggestion of practicing with a 20 gauge shotgun & slugs sounds perfect. The old BRI sabot slugs should be ideal. I don't know why I never thought of it! I have an old Webley & Scott 12 bore that has been mucked with by previous owners - forcing cones & chokes opened out & rib resoldered. That should be a candidate for some good practice before I buy my first DR. I would appreciate any suggestions on the relevance of such practice.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #91071 - 09/12/07 10:34 PM

Naki:
Right on the money regarding practice with a SxS shottie and slugs, but notwithstanding hoppe's recoil-shy 17yr-old and his existing 20-bore, a 12-bore would probably serve the purpose better for most kids regarding felt recoil, and be much cheaper to shoot.

BTW, those of us who never owned a rattle-gun or semi-auto shotgun are completely mystified at how anyone could have trouble with a SxS double-trigger gun. If brought up on SxS shotties, the DR is so instinctive that the shooter will rarely remember the conscious details of firing it in the field.

I got quite a chuckle from one of the client hunters on MS's vid 'Death by the Ton', trying to get his second barrel away by yanking repeatedly on the front trigger! Poor bugger. That could get you killed under some circumstances! ...although probably not while standing next to Mr "I-wanna-shoot-it-too". Even a couple of dozen clays with a 2-trigger SxS shottie before going out with that borrowed DR would have been time well-spent IMHO.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: Marrakai]
      #91132 - 10/12/07 01:22 PM

I would take a look at a Chapuis in 9,3x74R, 7x65R or one in 30-06.

I have used my 9,3 Chapuis a great deal in the US Canada and Zimbabwe.

I would not call it a hard kicker, but it is not a "bench gun" either.

It would be, however, a double that would serve him well the rest of his life.

Yogi000
.333 member

Loc: New York, USA
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: NE450No2]
      #91314 - 12/12/07 06:56 AM

I second the emotion about having that 17 year old shoot a double barrel shotgun with slugs. Either 20 or 12 gauge.

Only shoot LOW recoil slugs.

I would get a 12 or 20 gauge, short, doubled barreled shotgun. There are so many available right now from Spartans to Huglu's to Baikals... Instead of paying many thousands for a double rifle you would instead put a scant few dollars into a gunsmith's pocket by adding the following:

1) rear V express sight and front express sight, make sure the rear site is adjustable vertically and horizontally

2) Limbsaver or Packmayr---at least 1 inch think recoil pad, and that mightnmean cutting the stock so the THICK pad can be accommodated and still give the young shooter a short stock which would feel better to him, you do not want the stock and recoil pad to be too long because then it will hurt more...

3) sling mounts and sling

4) If the gun does not come with 20 inch barrels, I would cut the barrels down to 20-24 inches, so you get cyl cyl anyway.

This double barrel shotgun set up like a double rifle will cost anywhere from:
A) $250 to $650 for basic gun with....
B) Add-ons anywhere from $200 to $500
C) So you would have a TOTAL of anyhwere from $450 to about a $1000 into this nice double deer gun for a 17 year old... that will not have too much recoil.

It would be an excellent 50-75 yard gun, maybe more. With iron sights that is the most he could realistically expect. Yet, his eyes at 17 should be much better than most of the eyes on this forum...

I would ONLY USE LOW recoil slugs.

He could even start LOADING his own slugs with about $200 bucks worth of basic equipment... loading slugs is much cheaper and easier than shotshells... all the stuff can be bought from Ballistic Products or Midwayusa.

Improved fosters with low powder would be terrific deer gun! Or Collet Cup Sabots... Both could be loaded to fit the barrel and should be VERY accurate. But my preference is good ole round ball slug which can be loaded in LOW recoil and can be very accurate. And geee what a great deer slug. Round Ball. Various sized round balls for either for 20 gauge or 12 gauge. So variety allows a laoder to find the ones that shhot with best accuracy and best knockdown for deer.

I saw a NIB 12 gauge cyl cyl cowboy gun, Spartan, for $243. Put that really good recoil pad on it and those express sites and let your 17 year old learn about using iron sites and having the feel of a double rifle.

If you were to get him a double rifle now and spend $9,000 and UP, what fun would that be?

Plus, with this double shottie he could always load it with anything from 7 and 1/2's to 000.

Plus, I always use the real light recoil, low load shotshells 7/8 ounce of 7 and 1/2's for example for all shooters that do NOT like recoil. Let them blow the snot out of things, jugs, cardboard boxes, etc... at 15-20 yards. It helps with their confidence and eliminates flinch. Then chamber the low recoil slugs. and see where the slugs hit at 25 yards. let him adjust that rear express site until he is shooting ON.

What could be more fun for a 17 year old??

Edited by Yogi000 (12/12/07 08:03 AM)

400_Jeffery
.224 member

Reged: 13/09/07
Loc: Texas
      #91315 - 12/12/07 07:17 AM

How about a 250/3000? http://www.bestgunsaustralia.com.au/indiv_guns_pages/double_rifles/simpson_and_co.htm

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: 400_Jeffery]
      #91329 - 12/12/07 01:01 PM

RIPP's idea is super, but so is Naki's "rant"...

Maybe he shouldn't get a double...

...yet...

First buy him $2,000 worth of ammo for his .243, let him burn that up on targets from field positions only, till he really and truly learns how to shoot, and then let him tell you what HE wants in a double!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gator
.224 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Florida
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: 9.3x57]
      #91332 - 12/12/07 01:39 PM

I'd suggest a cheep shot gun and a 375 H&H double without a scope, and a couple nice shooting shirts with the padding on the shoulder.

I've been shooting 375 since I was 135 lb teenager .. it's a good caliper to learn, and readily available. You can reload it light or hot.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #91334 - 12/12/07 01:51 PM

Hoppdoc,

Just a suggestion from someone who hates hard recoil (I love gentle or slow recoil, though). Please buy your son a muzzleloading double rifle. Pedersoli and Transitions both have nice muzzleloading doubles, the Pedersoli a SxS in 50, 54 and 72 calibre and the Transitions people a more modern U/O in 50 cal but built to take heavier (150 g of Ffg BP compared to 100 for the Pedersoli)loads.

My hat's off to you for your superb decision to buy your son a double rifle. He is one lucky yung man!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #91337 - 12/12/07 03:16 PM

Thanks all--

The more I think about it the more I think a modified 20 gauge shooting slugs with Double triggers would be a better platform to start from.Gonna take some work to get something functional but thats the fun of it all.

The muzzleloader would be tough cause he's into shooting and not maintenance of firearms--

Express sights on a Double slug gun sound more appealing at the moment.Guess he's going to have to EARN that future Double!!

--------------------

Nakihunter
.375 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: New Zealand
      #91343 - 12/12/07 04:26 PM

Quote:

he's into shooting and not maintenance of firearms--

---Guess he's going to have to EARN that future Double!!

Well said Doc. Let him really earn it & he'll thank you for it and enjoy it more. I am a bit concerned about him not being into maintenance of guns. IMHO, along with firearms safety, firearms maintenance & that HABIT are the fundamental prequisites before one gets serious with guns.

Thanks to everyone else for the great ideas. I think I'll modify my Webley into a slug gun with express sites.

--------------------
Always shoot through the target & not just at it.

Yogi000
.333 member

Loc: New York, USA
Re: Need Suggestions-?Double for a 17 yr old!! [Re: Nakihunter]
      #91362 - 13/12/07 01:33 AM

Hoppdoc---

The 20 gauge doubel with double triggers is a super gun for him. And, of course that 1" Pachmayr Decelerator or Limb Saver aftermarket recoil pad is essential. They make all the difference for a person who is not a fan of recoil. It will be like two different guns with factory or with excellent aftermarket recoil pads. He may even want to add a PAST recoil pad under his shirt the first few times shooting, I'd get the thinnest one. That along with the aftermarket recoil pad on the stock will make it a joy and very fun to shoot.

Express sites on a double slugger make just about any double slugger a worthy gun for 50 to even 100 yards with good young 17 year old eyes. I wish I had a double slugger withe express sites when I was 17!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3197

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com