Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: of all the trophies you've taken in NA....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Dark_Helmet
.333 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
of all the trophies you've taken in NA....
      #8819 - 12/02/04 09:25 AM

to follow-up on the section of most desirable trophy... of those of us here who have taken trophy animals in North America, which one are you most proud of???

I've yet to shoot a big-game trophy worth being proud of, but I can say that my most proud moment was at age 8 when I caught a HGUE largemouth that was almost as big as I was... 'course I ate him, so there's nothing by a few pics left to prove it!!!!

he sure tasted good though!!!!

--------------------

-me

(long live the Mauser 98!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: Dark_Helmet]
      #8824 - 12/02/04 10:05 AM

1. Desert Bighorn Sheep (a lot of hard work!)
2. 44" wide mule deer (many years ago, probably 40 years)
3. 87+ B&C pronghorn (shit-ass luck)
4. 80 B&C pronghorn with a bow (again, luck)

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
      #8827 - 12/02/04 11:01 AM

My number one would be split between a 43" Dall ram in Alaska and a large Kodiak bear.

I also have a perfect 8 point white tail with 10" brow tines and a 18" spread that was my first solo kill and first large game at the age of 11 that I am very proud of but I kick myself for simply sawing the skull cap off instead of shoulder mounting it.

All and all the hunt is the true trophy some of my best hunts didn't bring home a head but memories of a good hunt for one reason or another.

James F. Nixon III

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: NONE]
      #8846 - 12/02/04 01:03 PM

There are two trophies of which I am very proud. They are of forked horn Blacktail deer taken on the Oregon coast by my two children.

My son has continued the hunting tradition and has taken many fine trophies of his own. He carries on the family Hunting tradition. He and I will be going down to Texas this spring for varmints and turkey's.

My daughter's trophy is her one and only. She took it 50 yards from where we parked the truck on her first ever day of hunting. She's not into guns or hunting now. But that little set of horns mounted on a plate that she took 20 year ago is proudly displayed on the wall in her home.

There is another trophy to be taken inthe future that I am sure will rate right up with those two. My one and only grandchild, my granddaughter has asked me to take her hunting like I did for her mom.

That indeed will be special.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: DoubleD]
      #8851 - 12/02/04 01:29 PM

Mine is a 10.25" Mountain Goat that I took all by myself on a solo 7 day hunt and a spike Elk that I shot when I was 11.

You can buy a Whitetail Cape and have the deer mounted.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: mickey]
      #8912 - 13/02/04 08:27 AM

"You can buy a Whitetail Cape and have the deer mounted."

Mickey,

Could you do a mount from no more then a V cut out of the skull set of horns? If so I will contact my man this week! that would be the best news I have heard in some time. It was a huge animal and one of those pure luck things me knowing absolutely nothing about hunting at the time and taking one of the nicest 8 points I have seen to date, Funny stories I was half asleep when it walked up on me had it not been simply walking head down making a lot of noise for a whitetail it very well could have passed me by while I slept LOL.

James F. Nixon III

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: NONE]
      #8943 - 13/02/04 12:45 PM

NONE

All you need is the skull cap and the horns. The rest of the skull is in the trash. You can get by with just the horns if needed. Talk to a good, local taxidermist.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: mickey]
      #8952 - 13/02/04 02:20 PM

Mine would be my 5x6 herd bull taken 2 seasons ago in Colorado. This was a self guided archery hunt. Gotta love the high country!

Followed closely by my (2) best Pennsylvania Whitetails. Also taken with my bow

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: luv2safari]
      #8953 - 13/02/04 02:24 PM

In reply to:

1. Desert Bighorn Sheep (a lot of hard work!)
2. 44" wide mule deer (many years ago, probably 40 years)
3. 87+ B&C pronghorn (shit-ass luck)
4. 80 B&C pronghorn with a bow (again, luck)

I'd love to see pictures of these if you have them. Especially that mulie! 44" is a monster and a half!! I bet you had to be pretty excited when you saw that hog! Congrats.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: IronBuck]
      #8957 - 13/02/04 02:52 PM

I was 16 when I shot the big muley...too poor to afford film, let alone a camera. The antlers kicked around the farm for years, until someone appropriated them right off the front of the barn. I'll get you pix of the mounted sheep and the bigger pronghorn. I have the horns of the 80 around somewhere. I have killed many bigger than that one with a rifle, and was only proud of it because it was my only one taken with a bow...about early 1980's with a PSE LazerII.

We never took cameras into the field in my family...more room to carry water...pretty damned important in this desert.

When I was in my early and mid teens a 36-45 inch mule deer was not at all uncommon around here. We kind of took them for granted...how things change...! I've been shut out of our draw for a resident deer tag in Nevada for the last three years

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: IronBuck]
      #8971 - 13/02/04 05:34 PM

IronBuck, I saw something like that bull elk when I was in NM with a cow tag. I was in El Rito along the mountain back there and as I was cresting the hill, I saw him about 450 yds. away. That dude was boogieing at full tilt. I barely got my spotting scope out in time. Man, that was a beautiful sight.

L2S, I was just about to ask you about deer around the Ruby Mtn.'s. When I used to drive a truck accross the state lines, I use to see big deer around that area all the time. I damn near ran one over with my rig.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: 475Guy]
      #8980 - 14/02/04 12:55 AM

My two favorites would be the perfect 8 point 140 class B/C Whitetail that was so far in the rut he thought I might be a doe And a Nice MT Boo That I took in the Killbuck Mtns of Alaska.

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #9034 - 15/02/04 12:47 AM

In 1978 I was invited by some friends to go along with them on a Caribou hunt in Quebec. This was at a time when Caribou hunting was just starting to get popular there. Any way, I couldn't afford to pay the prices the outfitter was asking to stay in his luxury camp with hot showers, gourmet meals, French wine, etc., so I opted to stay in a tent camp some 30 miles away, do my own cooking, and heat my bath water over a wood fire. When my experienced friends and I split up at the float plane base, their last words to me were "don't shoot anything the first day, because all the Caribou will look big to a person who has only hunted deer in Pennsylvania". Well, the first day out, my guide and I spotted a herd of Caribou bedded down on a steep hillside. We beached the freighter canoe about a mile away, and stalked up the backside of the hill they were bedded on. We got to within 150 yards or so, and my guide told me that one of the bulls was a real trophy, and I should take him. I told him that my friends said not to shoot anything the first day out, because they all look big. The guide got somewhat pissed at me and said if I didn't take the bull he would. Well, I shot it, and yes, it looked real big to me. After all, the biggest animal I'd taken up til then was a forked horn whitetail deer. We loaded him in the freighter canoe, and headed back to camp. About 15 minutes later, a vicious storm came up on the lake, with winds over 40 mph, and rain, snow and sleet. My guide had me lay down on the deck of the canoe to lower the center of gravity, while he made for shore as quickly as he could. All the while, I'm looking up at waves that were easily 7 - 10 feet high. We finally made it to shore, and made a shelter out of the freighter canoe. We ended up spending all day and night under our little shelter. The next morning it was still blowing and we were quite hungry so we cut a tenderloin out of my Caribou and grilled it on a willow branch over a small fire we were able to maintain. No meal ever tasted so good. The wind died down shortly after 11 am, and we made it back to camp. Of course, everyone was worried about us, and search teams were out all over the place. From the base camp radio, we called the luxury camp to let them know we were ok, and that I shot my bull the first day. My friends were happy I was fine, but scolded me for shooting so early in the hunt. I didn't care though, I was happy. When we met up back at the airport for the flight home, my friends got their first look at my bull. It turned out that it scored (at the time) #12 in SCI, and was much larger than the bull either of my friends took. My bull would have been well into B&C but I had to split the horns for transport home.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: of all the trophies you've taken in NA.... [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #9042 - 15/02/04 01:24 AM

Mike, everybody gets lucky every once in a while. #12, huh? I know guys who go every other year and never even come close. I guess they just want to get their quota of critters and boogie back to warmth and comfort.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

ChuckWagon
.275 member

Reged: 09/02/04
Loc: USA
      #9050 - 15/02/04 02:34 AM

Mike, I was told the same thing before going boo hunting and even on arrival in camp. We could not hunt the first day because we flew from base camp to spike camp. The fist morning of our hunt all three of us were glassing when I saw the biggest animal I had ever seen on the next foothill over. I was watching this bull with some interest and as he turned away his antlers were FAR wider than his body and actually went over the bull next to him. Then I was excited to watch but I had no hopes of ever getting a shot on that bad boy as our PH approached and said " Let's go !.....NOW !" I could tell the guide was impressed with this animal so off we went. We could still see the bachelor heard trailing up the distant hill. We were camped on top of a large ridge of three foot hills right on the edge of the mountains. On each end about a mile apart was a sprire or cap. We headed for one between us and the bull as the guide was confident the heard would climb the hill then turn towards us walking around the backside of the spire. We pretty much jogged the mile to the edge of the Mt where it became incredibly steep. The side of the spire was littered with huge boulders. As we rounded the Mt all of a sudden all I could see was a set of antlers coming over the rocks. We both sat down and the boo walked within 15 feet of us. I shot the beast in the neck with my 270 Wby. The other bulls left and came back to try to get their chum twice. Nudging the old bull as if to say "come on pard, let's move". Finally they gave up and continued their journey to the flats of Bethel. The bull turned out to be one of the largest the outfitter took that season. For myself I no longer listen to any of the do not shoot the first morning stuff. I just take the animal that turns my crank weather it's the largest or not....Either way the steaks taste the same

--------------------
Life is more like a jar of Jalapeno's than a box of chocolates. What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow !

luv2safari
.400 member

#9051 - 15/02/04 02:39 AM

Well, I hate to say this, but much of California has moved into the valley floor around the Ruby's and the deer populations are now about 20% of what they once were. They have moved onto the deers' critical wintering range. It isn't all habitat encroachment...poor management by the DOW, rampant destruction by foreign mining companies, poaching by the transient mine workers...all have pretty well destroyed the hunting there and in most of the rest of the state.

Years past, my buddies and I would hunt the Rubies every season...would see between 100 and 1,000 deer a day quite often. They were all over the place! Now I can't even get drawn for a deer tag right here in my native State!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1923

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com