Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 5.6x57?????????

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
5.6x57?????????
      #89174 - 17/11/07 08:57 PM

I've been curious about this one for a ong time.

Anybody have one?? What rifle is yours chambered in?

How does it perform on roe and other game of that size or bigger?

What bullets and or loads do you use?

How popular is it in Europe?
What scopes do you use with it?

Game pictures shot with it?

Thanks!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jwheeler
.224 member

Reged: 18/11/07
Loc: Louisiana, USA
Re: 5.6x57????????? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90135 - 30/11/07 12:39 PM

I have had a 5.6x57mm for almost 10 years now. It is actually the second barrel on a switch barrel custom rifle I had built on a Argentine 1009 action, the first barrel being a 7x57mm. I wanted to use the gun to shoot coyote and wild dogs on our family land. I had the barrel built with a 1/10 twist and it shot the factory 72gr RWS fairly well. Shortly after having the gun built it bacame very difficult to find the RWS ammo so I handloaded some very accurate rounds with 55gr sierras that cronographed around 4000 fps. Its been few years since i've had the barrel on the gun and I never shot anything with it but paper but I like the hot little round.

Jeff

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 5.6x57????????? [Re: jwheeler]
      #90148 - 30/11/07 01:34 PM

jwheeler:

Thanks for posting. I thought this poor ole' post had died!!

What you describe is identical to my interests in this rounds + deer, I suppose. We have yotes and dog problems, too.

The concept of a "heavy bullet" .22 appeals to me, especially built on a 98 Mauser action or something like as you say, a 1909 Argie.

I suspect a 1/7.5 twist would result in alot of "blue screamers" but a 1/9" should handle the longs and shorts well. There are some "heavies" worth investigating, I think.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: 5.6x57????????? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #90210 - 01/12/07 02:10 AM

Back in the '60's in my area a wildcat cartridge called the 6mm/.284 became all the rage. Fantastic velocities were reported with fantastic accuracy. The only problem was that by the time the rifle was well sighted in, the throat was burned out.

Years later, shooting the .243 Winchester in high power competition became all the rage, once suitable high ballistic coefficient bullets for long range had been developed, but the phenomenon of some bullets exploding in mid air from having the jackets succomb to centrifical force at the required quick twist rates, and excessive throat wear, allowing for perhaps 1000 shots before the barrel had to be set back and rechambered or replaced, killed it off. Today the top shooters are using a 6mm based on the .22-.250 case and 1000 yard competitors are using 6mm PPC's, which are even smaller. Barrel life is in the same range as the .308, about 2000 rounds.

The 5.6X57 was wildcatted in this country back in the '50's, in the form of the .22-.257 or .220 Clark, but never caught on. The .22-.250 or the .220 Swift will do anything it could do, but with less powder. The 57mm case badly exceeds the point of diminishing returns for a .22 caliber bore.

If I were to experiment with a heavy bullet .22, I would start with the PPC case and work up. As far as heavy bullet .22's are concerned, the .22 Savage High Power is a deadly killer in open spaces, where brush or other obstructions are not a concern. Its case capacity is 36.70 grains of water, versus 32.65 for the .22 PPC and 46.79 grains for the 5.6X57.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: 5.6x57????????? [Re: xausa]
      #90368 - 03/12/07 12:40 AM

xausa,

Your post brings back memories. My first custom rifle was a 6mm/.284 I had built back in 1976. And you are right, a few hundred rounds and the throat started turning black.

The rifle went down the road in 1981 and now has a new barrel in .284 Win., residing in the hands of a friend.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: 5.6x57????????? [Re: CptCurl]
      #90372 - 03/12/07 01:17 AM

Thanks for posting.

I'm pretty familiar with the wildcatting history of the various rounds cited.

What prompted the post was/is my curiousity about the popularity and use of the cartridge in Europe. As I've read, the cartridge was designed to meet certain minimum energy levels for roedeer hunting in Germany. I do not read too much about the cartridge, and it seems relatively dormant if not defunct.

There are some heavy bullets available now that weren't at the advent of the cartridge, and it would seem, particularly with certain military bullets that it could be more useful today than ever. It certainly is a curiousity of sorts, slightly odd, to be sure.

A nicely done Mauser 98 in the caliber with a longish, sporter-weight barrel would be nice to have leaning by the bed, ready for the dogs and coyotes that plague us from time to time, and certainly capable for deer from some of my blinds. The 6.5x55 that serves this purpose now is, alas, admittedly better.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3379

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com